INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Puzzling Message on Duplicate files MC v.10  (Read 1371 times)

jtiis

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Puzzling Message on Duplicate files MC v.10
« on: November 27, 2004, 11:43:06 pm »

Here's my ipod problem. (I should say at the begining I once formatted my ipod using the regular Windows XP format... I don't know if this has anything to do with my problem or not - but that was along time ago). Anyhow,...

When I now reformat my 40 Ipod it says there's only 38 Gigs of space. (is this usual)?
When I initialize with MC 10, it says there 37.1 Gigs of space.

I currently have 7738 music files in my music library.
When I try to move over all my music library to my reformated, reinitialized ipod, I get a message that says, "You are attempting to transfer multiple files with duplicated information. Would you like to continue with the transfer?  (Duplicates [1941 files] <too many to list>"

But, prior to this I used the library edit feature to remove duplicates (as best I though at least)... so, what duplicates are this message refering to? Certainly not files on the ipod as it's after a format, right?

Thanks for any clarification on this issue. jti

ForsakenArdor

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I hate Jay Leno.
Re:Puzzling Message on Duplicate files MC v.10
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 12:46:20 pm »

jtiis, I'm having the exact same problem, but fortunately for me, I only have it with five files.  The cause for me seems to be different versions of the same song; the same artist, same song name, but all have no album title.  MC10 differtiates for syncs by artist/name/album but I don't think it necessarily reads fields like comment and such.  I posted a message on the main MC10 area.  If I don't receive a response, I assume filling in the album fields would do the trick, although it would make manual browsing a pain to do.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Puzzling Message on Duplicate files MC v.10
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 05:43:17 pm »

jtiis and ForsakenArdor,

When synching files to the iPod, MC compares Name, Artist, Album, Genre, and Track Number and if two files have the same info for these fields, they are duplicates in regards to a transfer to a Portable. If you change the info so there is some difference in these fields, the problem should go away.

In regards to the space reporting, the difference between 40 GB and 38 GB is based on the definition of a MB and is normal. MC allocates some extra space for the database, but the  difference between 38 and 37.1 is too much and is unexpected on a clean iPod.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up