INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: some other weird stuff with apl  (Read 2045 times)

breadfan

• Junior Woodchuck
some other weird stuff with apl
« on: November 28, 2004, 09:07:22 pm »

i'm just starting to use apl for all my cds, and i've had some of the most interesting errors ever :)

heres my latest:

when using a .cue to make apl files i found a cue file that wouldn't turn into all the apls, just 1 or 2 out of the many tracks on the cd. so to get it to work i took it out of a folder named "F:\rip\Vladimir Horowitz\Horowitz Live and Unedited - The Legendary 1965 carnegie hall return concert"

and put it back one directory into just the "Vladimir Horowitz" folder and low and behold... it worked right. Any ideas? There really seems to be something about -s that apl doesn't like.

uhoh, and just an update, after putting the files back in the long folder it refuses to play and acts just like the other files in my previous post... access denied, short right click menu, etc.

help!!!!!!!!!

just to make one more note, i did some experimenting and found out that its not the -s... when you have 32 characters for a folder name, crazy things happen... when you have 31 characters... everything is fine. I did this with just the letter a for a folder name

oh and it also has to be a certain directory level deep to have an effect, not sure about that just yet

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Re:some other weird stuff with apl
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 09:22:43 pm »

What are you using to create the APL files? MC or Monkey's Audio?

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 10:51:27 pm »

Sounds like you are running into problems with the total length of the filename path (directory + filename). I have come across this before - a lot of apps become unpredictable with very long paths, this is a problem with Windows, including XP. Use shorter paths.

breadfan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 11:31:25 pm »

it doesn't seem to be at the application level though, its happening in windows explorer (mabye i didn't understand your answer :) )

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 11:54:55 pm »

oh and it also has to be a certain directory level deep to have an effect, not sure about that just yet

I think if you experiment, you'll find that the total path length is the problem.
In other words, this isn't a 'depth' issue. If you have a total length that exceeds some value things are broken. Example:

F:\Some 50 character directory name\another 50 character directory name

This will fail. But so would:

F:\some 101 character directory name

Check this and see.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 01:43:01 am »

it doesn't seem to be at the application level though, its happening in windows explorer (mabye i didn't understand your answer :) )
Windows Explorer also has problems with long paths. You can make an excessively long path by moving a file into a deeper directory, Explorer will not catch this and will let you generate a path that is too long.

breadfan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 04:44:45 am »

i guess you guys are right and this is a file length issue... classical music seems incompatible with windows  ;D

one of the files i was having problems with is named this...

F:\Music\Classical\Vladimir Horowitz\1965 Carnegie Hall Recording\Disc 1\01 - Vladimir Horowitz - Horowitz Live and Unedited - The Legendary 1965 Carnegie Hall Recording - Bach - Toccata, Adagio and Fugue in C maj, BWV 564; 1. Preludio, quasi improv....apl

i guess that it being a full 256 characters is the reason windows was so upset :)

by the way is there anyway to work around this and get more characters out of windows?

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 05:09:58 am »

Are you using FAT32 or NTFS?
From a Knowledge Base article:

"Many Windows programs expect the maximum path length to be shorter than 255 characters. Therefore, these programs only allocate enough internal storage to handle these typical paths. NTFS does not have this limit and it can hold much longer paths."

Notice that NTFS itself does not have a limit.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 05:52:51 am »

NTFS has no limits - but apparently there are still some in Explorer!

I also had problems with classical music. I just abbreviated the filename and path, and rely on the tags to stay organized.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 09:17:31 am »

Hmmmm...

I created the directory on my system, but on the D: drive as I have no F:

D:\Music\Classical\Vladimir Horowitz\1965 Carnegie Hall Recording\Disc 1

I then copied an Existing APL and its APE to the directory and renamed the APL to match the filename in this post.

01 - Vladimir Horowitz - Horowitz Live and Unedited - The Legendary 1965 Carnegie Hall Recording - Bach - Toccata, Adagio and Fugue in C maj, BWV 564; 1. Preludio, quasi improv....apl

I can play it by right clicking (by the way I do not have shell extentions enabled in MC), I get my usual right click menu both from Directory Opus which I always use and by using My Computer (Explorer) to navigate to the folder.

About the only thing I have enabled from right click menu is WinRAR and it is happy to compress the file. Happy to uncompress it again too.

So, I'll ask again. Are you using NTFS or FAT32 on your system?
Because I certainly can't reproduce the problem you're having on my system which is NTFS.

breadfan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 01:19:38 am »

Hmmmm...

I then copied an Existing APL and its APE to the directory and renamed the APL to match the filename in this post.

01 - Vladimir Horowitz - Horowitz Live and Unedited - The Legendary 1965 Carnegie Hall Recording - Bach - Toccata, Adagio and Fugue in C maj, BWV 564; 1. Preludio, quasi improv....apl

I can play it by right clicking (by the way I do not have shell extentions enabled in MC), I get my usual right click menu both from Directory Opus which I always use and by using My Computer (Explorer) to navigate to the folder.

About the only thing I have enabled from right click menu is WinRAR and it is happy to compress the file. Happy to uncompress it again too.

Because I certainly can't reproduce the problem you're having on my system which is NTFS.

ntfs, but the folder after "Vladimir Horowitz" should be "Horowitz Live and Unedited - The Legendary 1965 Carnegie Hall " to get it to not work, that takes it over its character limit

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 06:20:14 am »

Hmmmm...

ntfs, but the folder after "Vladimir Horowitz" should be "Horowitz Live and Unedited - The Legendary 1965 Carnegie Hall " to get it to not work, that takes it over its character limit

Well, now I'm confused. A few posts above you said:
"one of the files i was having problems with is named this...

F:\Music\Classical\Vladimir Horowitz\1965 Carnegie Hall Recording\Disc 1\01 - Vladimir Horowitz - Horowitz Live and Unedited - The Legendary 1965 Carnegie Hall Recording - Bach - Toccata, Adagio and Fugue in C maj, BWV 564; 1. Preludio, quasi improv....apl"

And as I said, works perfectly here.

So, to play along with the home audience please tell me:

The complete directory path.
The complete file name.

Then let's see what happens.

I'm curious at this point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up