INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Locking Ratings  (Read 3379 times)

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Locking Ratings
« on: December 10, 2004, 08:50:18 am »

I know this is my own fault and all, but I just killed a bunch of ratings in error.....

Can we have an option to lock the ratings? I know that there is party mode, but I still would like to change other things.... Ratings seems to be the only tag that you can change by just hovering over....

Thanks,
-

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
Re: Locking Ratings
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 09:58:47 am »

Did you backup your library recently? You could restore it to its previous status and then perform an update tags from library...

LonWar

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 10:06:37 am »

It's not so much losing the ratings, I can get them back.

It's how it happens, I seem to always hit them with my mouse.... Would be nice to be able ot lock them.
-

LonWar

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 03:38:47 pm »

Hi Marko,  No it's nothing like that.... I guess I did click the mouse.... Doing things to quickly....

I guess I will just copy the ratings to a user created field.... I don't much care for the stars anyway....

I guess I'm the only one that this happens to.... I guess I should be more careful...  ::)
-

Omni

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 05:50:38 pm »

I guess I'm the only one that this happens to....

Nah... I feel the same way you do, but for me, it's a matter of trade-offs.  I'd just rather have the convenience of just having to click and be done with it rather than having to unlock something first.  :)

I have found that over the years, how I rate a good 85-90% of my songs is heavily dependent on my mood at the time.  Because of this, I constantly am changing the ratings, and just being able to click it makes it super easy.

Besides, isn't this covered under the Undo command?  (I don't have MC installed at the moment, so I can't test it.)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 06:06:53 pm »

(I don't have MC installed at the moment, so I can't test it.)
Is there life without MC?  ;D

The undo works. Also the Library Restore works.

How about having a shortcut for library backups. My left hand has developed an automated habit for pressing ctrl+s whenever I feel that I have made changes I don't want to loose when using other software. Ctrl+s would be a natural choice for a library backup shortcut.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

LonWar

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 09:29:22 pm »

a good 85-90% of my songs is heavily dependent on my mood at the time.  Because of this, I constantly am changing the ratings, and just being able to click it makes it super easy.

Besides, isn't this covered under the Undo command?  (I don't have MC installed at the moment, so I can't test it.)

Doh a second time....... I for got about undo....  :-[

**Walks away feeling silly,,,,****
-

Dragyn

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 11:57:34 pm »

MC10, not 11, could use real numbers for rating instead.

Maybe it's just an oversight for 11, or a missed bugged feature. It was possible at one time.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2004, 02:29:45 am »

How about allowing only dbl-click to set ratings instead of the single click as is the case currently.

Maybe offer an option that allows the user to select a preference.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2004, 04:35:38 am »

it is rather easy to change ratings by mistake, i have done it many times by just moving the mouse over the rating field.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Michel Lefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2004, 11:03:22 am »

it is rather easy to change ratings by mistake, i have done it many times by just moving the mouse over the rating field.

Same here.

Michel.

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
  • Negopus: negotium, otium et opus
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2004, 04:08:12 pm »

How about allowing only dbl-click to set ratings instead of the single click as is the case currently.

I pointed out this problem a lot of time ago, and I see it is still unsolved.

The two obvious choices for “clicking on a rating star” show up a problem in coherence in the user interface.

Allowing to change the rating with a single mouse key click is unnatural. One generally asks for possibly “destructive” actions with a double mouse key click, while a single mouse key click is just for moving the pointer, or focus.

Allowing to change the rating with a double mouse key click is unnatural too, as double clicking should start playing the track under the cursor.

What about a “mouse gesture” like in the Opera browser? Click left, hold left down, then click right. If you change your mind and raise your left finger before you touch the right mouse button, the rating remains unchanged. As this is a rather strong change is the user interface paradigm, it should be left as an user option, and the user warned about it.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2004, 04:21:29 pm »

I just don't have that field visable anymore for fear of the rating to be changed.

I lived on the edge until matt added ratings

Listening to: '(Don't Fear) The Reaper' from 'Agents of Fortune' by 'Blue Oyster Cult' on Media Center Build 11.0.148 & 1\2

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Omni

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2004, 05:11:11 pm »

Allowing to change the rating with a single mouse key click is unnatural.

I dunno.  This is the way MS's Window's Media Player works, and love or hate Microsoft, but they do invest a lot of money in human engineering (read:  usuability) studies for their products.  So perhaps you should add the qualifier "for me" to that assertion, eh?   ;)

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2004, 05:25:34 pm »

Do you think Windows Media Player can be considered a serious player? It is just the standard that Microsoft wants to impose to the world.

Bill Gates and friends are not good software writers, they are just good businessmen. Let’s not confuse usability with the standard they want to impose using their commercial power. Microsoft people might base their usability studies on the “average” end user, but I don’t think that a Media Center user can be considered an “average” user. Media Center is an excellent product, but it is not for everyone.

Think about all the professional audio software, audio editors, sequencers, DJ tools. Each one has developed its own variation of user interface, maybe not 100% Windows-standard, but optimized for the fastest possible operation of the professional sitting in front of it.

And, after all, my suggestion for the Opera-like mouse gesture continues with:
As this is a rather strong change is the user interface paradigm, it should be left as an user option, and the user warned about it.

Fixer

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2004, 11:34:22 pm »

How about an option to REQUIRE a SHIFT-mouse_click to actually change a rating?

That would make it impossible to accidently change a rating, but still quite easy to change on on-purpose ?

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2004, 01:52:54 am »

I totally agree with the option of requiring SHIFT together with the left mouse click to change the track rating when "clicking on a star". It is way more intuitive than the esoteric Opera-like mouse gesture that I previously suggested.

Both proposals are similar in concept, as they require a modifier key added to the single mouse key click (the single click alone never used to mean “change something”), and do not require a double mouse key click (the double click means “start playing the track under the mouse pointer”).

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2004, 02:57:22 am »

I like the idea of SHIFT as well given negopus comments about dbl-click being inconsistant with the default behaviour.

I admit i did not think too deeply about it. Dbl-click is set to queue tracks for me in PN, rather than the default play as i found even dbl-clicking happening by mistake and interrupting or worse resetting PN.

Omni

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2004, 02:45:05 pm »

Do you think Windows Media Player can be considered a serious player? It is just the standard that Microsoft wants to impose to the world.

Bill Gates and friends are not good software writers, they are just good businessmen. Let’s not confuse usability with the standard they want to impose using their commercial power. Microsoft people might base their usability studies on the “average” end user, but I don’t think that a Media Center user can be considered an “average” user. Media Center is an excellent product, but it is not for everyone.

Think about all the professional audio software, audio editors, sequencers, DJ tools. Each one has developed its own variation of user interface, maybe not 100% Windows-standard, but optimized for the fastest possible operation of the professional sitting in front of it.

::)

All right, but please keep in mind I only asked for a qualifier, not a "Why everyone should hate Microsoft" rant.  ;)

Fixer

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2004, 03:25:26 pm »

If a SHIFT-CLICK is added for changing ratings, mjextman must still change a rating by itself so I can still do it from my remotes.

LonWar

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2004, 05:56:49 pm »

I'm just glad I'm not the only one that has had a issue with this,,,,   8)
-

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2004, 08:07:53 pm »

This might need a new thread but I have had problems with accidentally moving a year in the pane browser and dragging it to another year and then the tags are overwritten without even knowing it.  This is a serious problem since I only recently knew I had been doing this.  The problem is that with MC11 the year pane is thin(saves space) however that gives little room to use the mouse to highlite several years and instead accidentally picking up a year and dropping it into another.   This can happen in any pane but the year I am more suseptibel to this problem.  I think it would be great to prevent any tag changes to be made from any browser in MC by having a menu feature that toggles ALL tagging on and off!
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball
Pages: [1]   Go Up