INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Remote Tagging / Tagging Security  (Read 1038 times)

davisford

• World Citizen
Feature Request: Remote Tagging / Tagging Security
« on: March 19, 2005, 11:39:59 am »

I believe it has been mentioned before about tagging security -- or having the ability to flip a control switch to allow/disallow the tagging of various files.

It would be preferable if the implementation of this feature did not make use of the file system's own metadata to control permissions on r/w.  This can cause a conflict with other programs that use a particular media file, and could pose a performance problem.  It would be better if MC just policed itself, and had some type of exception handler thrown when a file is trying to be tagged but it cannot.

Actually -- this seems to be the way the program works over the network.  If I attempt to tag a file on a remote server, nothing really happens.  This leads me to the two feature requests specifically:

1) Provide the ability to disable tagging locally (can imitate the behavior seen in remote tagging, but it would be preferable if some UI indication is relayed so the user can understand they committed an error)

2) Use this security mechanism as a policy that can be extended over the network.  The more advanced scenario is to allow the capability based on user login.  I can see a use for this, but for my selfish needs in a single household with multiple computers -- I'd rather see something like a tick-box added to the Library Server Options Dialog Box that allows/disallows remote tagging.

--Davis

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Feature Request: Remote Tagging / Tagging Security
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 02:11:18 pm »

MC has these abilities.  Look at Options > General > Update tags and also look at Party Mode.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 02:44:28 pm »

Hi Matt -- thx for the response.  I am checking the feature you mentioned:

Tools -> Options... -> General -> Update Tags When File Info Changes

The Help manual describes this as, "If this option is checked (default), tags will be updated when changes are made in the library. "

It doesn't mention about remote tagging here, and when I import a library via File -> Search for Media Servers, and then I update a tag on one of the files, this doesn't affect the real version that exists on my remote server.  This is the functionality I was after.  I searched the archives, and it seemed I found some places where Jim indicated that this doesn't currently exist, so I was just putting in my $.02 for feature request.

The usage scenario is as follows:

I have about 30,000 songs in the library -- it is a lot.  I can't possibly remember what it all is, and I stream it to different rooms in the house using my laptop as a client.  Often, I will stumble across a track that is a real gem, and I want to remember it, so I was hoping for the ability to quickly tag it with a rating via the client.  Later, I can find it by having a smart playlist that has all files tagged with a specific rating.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 04:17:48 pm »

If you're using Media Server or Library Server, the client is read only. 

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 05:00:43 pm »

Right -- that is what I thought.  If I can make a meager request to have this considered as a future feature enhancement...then I guess that is what I'm trying to do here.

Regards,
Davis
Pages: [1]   Go Up