INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod won't play some songs  (Read 1625 times)

wizbang

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
iPod won't play some songs
« on: December 05, 2004, 03:16:20 pm »

Hi,

I'm using MC 11.0.140 (but I've reproduced this problem on 11.0.117 onwards) and I have over 5000 songs downloaded to my iPod.

I have a situation where some of the songs will not play on the iPod and are just skipped over.

I have tried playing these songs directly on my PC from the iPod hard disk using CoolPlayer and other MP3 players with no problem. I've even opend up iTunes and selected the errant tracks and they will play on the PC.

The songs appear in playlists on the iPod and can be found by searching via "Albums" or "Songs", but when I select them I feel the iPod start up it's hard disk for a couple of seconds, but nothing plays and then (after 2-3 seconds) the iPod either moves on to the next song in the playlist or stops if it was the only song  :(

This weekend, I have re-initialised my iPod twice, rebuilt the database from the iPod and verified that the tracks are actually on my iPod correctly, but I have been unable to get them to play.

Any ideas?

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
Re:iPod won't play some songs
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 12:36:18 pm »

I have the same problem. After some testing, I've verified that this only happens on songs that have non-standard characters in their file names. I have a few artists with the character "ö" in their names and these are the only ones my iPod skips over. Changing the "ö" to an "o" in the id3 tags doesn't help - the actual file name must be changed.

I'm assuming this is an iPod issue and not a problem with MC. I wonder if iTunes gets around this when syncing with it...I'll have to test that out. I'd really prefer to not have to rename my foreign artists' file names...

wizbang

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 04:11:20 pm »

You are right. I found the following post on the HydrogenAudio forum:

Anyways, here are some examples of characters that don't work:

ç, ä, ö, å

Those are the only ones I've tested. I would suspect that the danish characters æ and ø don't work either...

The full text and some suggestions on how to fix it can be found at:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t19156-200.html

To the moderators out there: Any chance of getting a workaround for this added to MC?

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 04:26:45 pm »

Good find. It looks like the other iPod-transferring apps out there are struggling to find ways around this limitation as well. Apparently iTunes just converts any non-US character to an underscore before transferring to the iPod. Could MC please do the same?

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: iPod won't play some songs
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 10:40:06 am »

The foregin character issue is resolved for iPod in the next build of MC.

Thanks,

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up