INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rio Forge and Central Library won't go :(  (Read 1565 times)

ShockValue

• Recent member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Rio Forge and Central Library won't go :(
« on: December 05, 2004, 10:46:24 pm »

Hi, long time listener, first time poster...

I have 2 workstations that get their library from my central media server via the "Media Server.exe" application.  This is working well for my household so far...

I plugged in my new Rio Forge and was excited to transfer some files over to it to test it out.  The problem is that every time I try to xfer music to it I get an error:  "cannot copy.... Make sure you aren't trying to transfer an internet stream".   Now, I guess I can understand why this error might occur since technically I'm streaming it from the central server when I play back music but it would sure be handy if this worked.

As a test, i mapped a drive to the central servers music files, and imported them into a local library in Media center and they transfered just fine.

Is there any way I can do this with the Media Server application instead?  All of my files are stored as Monkey's Audio, and the built in conversion is quite handy.

Thanks for any advice.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Rio Forge and Central Library won't go :(
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 07:19:01 am »

We don't support transfers to an iPod from a remote server.  Since it can be used across the Internet, it's too close to file sharing at the moment.  When the law is sorted out, we'll add it if possible.

ShockValue

• Recent member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 09:53:07 am »

I guess that makes sense, thanks for the quick reply.

On a side note, is it feasible for 3 copies of Media Center to point to the same library file in some central location?  Or would that cause corruption to the library (or worse, to my media?)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 11:09:56 am »

If you're not using Media Server or the new Library Server (which are both read only), you would definitely risk data corruption.

salsbst1

• World Citizen
Re: Rio Forge and Central Library won't go :(
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 09:10:13 am »

it's too close to file sharing at the moment
There are 30 million ways to share files on the internet, including old standbys like HTTP, FTP and WINS, not to mention more anonymous-like ways.   Just because this would be the 30,000,001st, we can't have the feature?  Can we have it on our local subnet, at least?

salsbst1

• World Citizen
Re: Rio Forge and Central Library won't go :(
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 09:20:03 am »

If the Supreme Court upholds the MGM Studios v. Grokster decision, would that be considered "sorted"?
Pages: [1]   Go Up