INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I wish to develop a GLOBAL HOTKEYS plugin...  (Read 1352 times)

Mitleid

I wish to develop a GLOBAL HOTKEYS plugin...
« on: December 06, 2004, 10:43:28 pm »

...and I may need some help.

So, I've always wanted an excuse to learn C++ and it looks like I've found one. I'd like to write a Media Center plugin that can allow a user to control any given number of program functions via GLOBAL HOTKEYS on their keyboard.

I'll give a scenario as to better describe what I'm looking to build: I'd like to queue up 50 random songs and then go off to a nice chaotic game of UT or something. Maybe one of the songs I've qued up is one I've never heard, and I really like it and want to rate it highly. But without some GLOBAL hotkeys, this can't be done without switching out of the program and manually rating the song within the Media Center interface. Sadly, Media Center doesn't even have any BASIC global hotkeys, like "Fast Forward", "Pause", "Volume Up/Down", etc.

Bottom line is, I think Media Center is a pretty slick music player and should have as much functionality as possible. So, I want to write meself a plug-in, even if I'm the only one using it, so that I can control ANY FACET of Media Center functionality I desire...

First off: Is this possible? Second: What literature/docs can anyone here suggest as a means for me to start and familiarize myself with C++, and then to a greater extent how to build a plugin for Media Center? I'm not new to programming; I have decent self-taught experience with VB and PHP, but I'm just really at a loss for how to get myself in gear with C++. This seemed like a simple enough project for me to start with, so I'm willing to give it a shot.

So, I'd love to hear any and all input from EVERYONE. Don't hesitate if you've got something to say, please. Take care.

Robert S

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: I wish to develop a GLOBAL HOTKEYS plugin...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 01:58:47 am »

This feature - to be able to rate a song in an easy way - is something that I've wanted for years... I've got 25 000 songs in my library and about 10 (!) of them are currently rated...It's just to much work to rate them when I stand in front of the computer.

However, I think I've found a solution to this problem - NetRemote - which (I think) allows me to rate the music from my PDA through my wireless network.

If you already are familiar with VB then I would recomend you to first learn how to make plugins in MC in VB, and after this learn C++ and write a plugin in C++. One step at a time, that's what I try to take.

/Robert
Pages: [1]   Go Up