INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - Sort of: Anti virus programs and cpu usage  (Read 1782 times)

bebop

• Citizen of the Universe
OT - Sort of: Anti virus programs and cpu usage
« on: December 08, 2004, 11:24:59 am »

Does any one have a suggestion for a very good anti virus program that has low cpu usage?   I know that I asked about anti virus programs a while back and these were the top suggestions:   Nod 32, F-Prot, EZ, and Extendia.   I had tried a few to help me giet rig of a but, but forgot to look at their cpu usage -well - to be really honest I never even thought about it until recently when my 'puter was being a slug and I checked every imaginable source of the problem.  It is my McAfee Virus Scan program (my subscription runs out soon and I don't plan on renewing if one of the suggested ones isn't a cpu hog!!!  (McAfee was eating up 60 - 90 %!    :o    !!!!! No wonder my pages weren't refreshing properly and stuff was starting to act oddly!!!ARGH!!!!     >:(  )).   Thanks   Bet

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: OT - Sort of: Anti virus programs and cpu usage
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 12:08:10 pm »

Try this one: www.free-av.com. It is free for home users.

It is also popular so the servers can be busy from time to time. The servers are European (.de). I get updates fast in the early mornings (in Finland).

About the same product is marketed commercially as "Vexira" (www.centralcommand.com). Vexira has the same engine and virus definitions, but marketing and support are commercial (better?).

It is light and in my opinion secure enough. It has cought every virus, which has tried to enter my home PCs. Usually there are daily virus definitions updates. The only downside I know is that Internet updates must be started manually. I usually do it every morning.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bebop

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 12:29:58 pm »

Thanks Alex B!  How's the cpu usage on this?   Bet

LonWar

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 12:32:24 pm »

I beleive EZ Antivrus boasts the lowest cpu usage...

I use it at work and at home.  Never any problems....
-

bebop

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 12:48:25 pm »

Thanks Gamer!   I will check all suggestions out and find the one for me.   Free is good, but I don't mind paying for a product I really like.  Bet

LonWar

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 01:03:51 pm »

Thanks Gamer!   I will check all suggestions out and find the one for me.   Free is good, but I don't mind paying for a product I really like.  Bet

Although I have no scientific reason to, I am not sure I would go with a free anti virus program....

What's the hurry for them to keep updates going.....

I would stay with a reputible name... Computer Associates, Nortan, McAfee...
-

Stupid User

• Recent member
  • Woodchuck hater
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 01:45:03 pm »

I use NOD32 on one of my systems, and can vouch for the fact that it is very light on the CPU.  I don't kid myself into thinking that it is the best at malware detection though.  People will argue tooth and nail that NOD32 catches anything that is "in the wild", but when you happen upon a trojan on a newsgroup, or in that bit of freeware you wanted to try out, it really won't matter to you if that trojan is in the wild or not.

I hear that Dr. Web is also a good choice for being light on the CPU.  I have no experience with Dr. Web, though, aside from its integration with Nero, which counts for nothing.

I would pose your question in the Wilders anti-virus forum.  Beware, though--those forums are rife with irrational product loyalty.

The ultimate suggestion is to try the few you think are good candidates, see how they do on testing sites like AV Comparatives, and make up your own mind.  (And if you ask for suggestions on Wilders, about 10 people will tell you this same thing anyway--after the 40 or 50 people who say "NOD32!" and "Dr. Web!", that is.)
Signature removed by moderator.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 04:07:34 pm »

Actually I use AntiVir because it’s really lightweight, not because it's free. CPU usage is usually from 1 to 2 % when it's doing background checking. They have also a commercial version for corporate users and the U.S. based Central Command inc. has obviously licensed the technology for their commercial Vexira product. Updates are usually daily. Sometimes there are several new virus definition files available on the same day.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Omni

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 04:47:21 pm »

The ultimate suggestion is to try the few you think are good candidates,...

I'm not so sure I would call that the "ultimate" solution.  Why? System bloat!  If one does this, then it will be the ultimate solution only if one is prepared to reformat their hard drive and start clean after the testing is done.  (Or if you are lucky enough, be able to restore a old drive image via Ghost or something.)

The problem is that very rarely do uninstall programs properly clean up after themselves.  Most of the system drivers get left behind and still get loaded even after you uninstall.  :-\

For a real shocker, coincidentally, I just finished reinstalling Norton AV.  Here is a list of all the services (and drivers) it installed:

Code: [Select]
Norton SystemWorks 2005
ccEvtMgr - Symantec Event Manager
ccPwdSvc - Symantec Password Validation Service
ccSetMgr - Symantec Settings Manager
navapsvc - Handles Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect events.
NAVENG -
NAVEX15 -
NPFMntor - Detects installation of Symantec Firewall clients
SAVRT -
SAVRTPEL -
SAVScan - Handles Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Archive Scanning
SBService - ScriptBlocking Service
SNDSrvc - Symantec Network Drivers Service
SPBBCDrv -
SPBBCSvc - Symantec SPBBC
Symantec Core LC- Symantec Core LC
SYMDNS -
SymEvent -
SYMFW -
SYMIDS -
SYMIDSCO -
Symlcbrd -
SYMNDIS -
SYMREDRV -
SYMTDI -

:o :o ::) :-[

The stuff with decriptions will get uninstalled, but all the rest do not>:(

Stupid User

• Recent member
  • Woodchuck hater
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 04:54:55 pm »

I can't speak to that, because all Symantec products have been permanently banned from every system I have control over.  But what's a better solution--to buy the first one you happen to install?

No, I stand by my original statement.  TeraByte Unlimited Image for Windows is inexpensive and highly reliable.  Image, test, restore if needed.
Signature removed by moderator.

bebop

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004, 05:21:03 pm »

Thanks for all the advise, and am going to try the free Av package....have done a complete system overhaul so have a fresh system and got rid of some annoying programs that I tried out (the old curiosity killed the cpu, thing) that refused to uninstall properly.    I was also rather miffed to see McAfee renewed my subscription without my approval a while back.  I relaize that it is supposed to be a convenience factor, but I want to be the one in control of what and when I purchase something.  And yes, I did send them a note to that effect!    So thanks again for the advise.  It is always appreciated.  Bet
Pages: [1]   Go Up