INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping speed:  8-9x on a 40/12/40 CDRW?  (Read 2298 times)

hakuin

• World Citizen
  • Old pond, leap-splash-a frog.
Ripping speed:  8-9x on a 40/12/40 CDRW?
« on: October 27, 2002, 12:42:06 pm »

I have what I think is a good quality CDRW drive:  Plextor PlexWriter 40/12/40A.  When I rip a CD the speed on the progress window generally hovers between 6x and 9x.  Why so slow?   :( Shouldn't it be much faster?  My settings are below.  What can I do to improve ripping speed?

Encoding:  MP3 Encoder, HIgh Quality,160, not normalizing before encoding, ripping and encoding simulataneously

Device Info
Type:          IDE
Copy Mode:  Digital Large Buffer
Speed:        Max
Use Digital Playback is checked

Thanks,
Lee

zevele10

Re: Ripping speed:  8-9x on a 40/12/40 CDRW?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2002, 12:54:22 pm »

See the first FAQ on this page

http://www.dbpoweramp.net/dmc-support-audio-cd.htm

If you download and run the 2 small programs you may get faster speed. BUT NOT REALLY THAT  FAST.

I speak about rip not encoding ,that is another thing.
I have the same Plextor than you and got around x15  to 20 rip to wav.
But not with MJ who is slower.

Have a look at your rip settings secure-fast or others.

With the plextor i rip in fast.But all my cds are in very good condition.
I did not succes trying to find one with problem when trying to set EAC.
Wel i did not try all but to this day more than 300 hundred

Neil

• Recent member
  • The wisest mind has something yet to learn.
What yRe: Ripping speed:  8-9x on a 40/12/40 CDRW?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2002, 01:07:40 pm »

Hi,

Here is my 2 cents on "ripping" at rated speeds of the I/O Device, whether CD-R or CD-RW:

I believe that what you are seeing is that when extracting audio digitally from your drive, the programs (MJ and the MP3 encoder) are extracting at very high speed.  The difference you are seeing when the WAV format is not selected in MJ is due to the live, one-step encoding of the MP3 files from the extracted audio data.  The MJ software is likely handling this encoding process in two steps and hiding the second step from you.

This leaves you with the choice of either ripping at approximately 30x (maybe) or likely higher on the outer tracks on the CD, and then converting these files to MP3 format in a second step using MJ MP3 Plug-in menu's "Convert" feature, or you can set the format back to the MP3 bitrate of your choice and rip directly to the MP3 format at the slower speed with the single step.

You can also go the I/O troubleshooting route and download from Intel their chipset testing S/W to find out if your I/O is okay. But, personally what I have found is that when people buy the new high-speed CD-R and CD-RW drives they automatically think that they will see those kinds of speeds not realizing all the steps that go into "ripping" & "encoding".

I have your same drive and the fastest encoding speed I have ever seen is 18x on a very short file and it was located somehwere in the middle of a CD. I have also seen higher speeds if you just "rip" to WAV and do the conversion later to MP3.

Hope this helps.

hakuin

• World Citizen
  • Old pond, leap-splash-a frog.
.Re: Ripping speed:  8-9x on a 40/12/40 CDRW?
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2002, 01:14:00 pm »

thanks to both of you for your ideas

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2002, 01:43:37 pm »

Pentium III 700 or IV 1,4 can make a difference as well

I was speaing about rip to wav ONLY speed.Not converting on the fly.
Never get more than X20,but less is the rule.And i run Nero cdSpeed  starting with Windows

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2002, 02:18:20 pm »

Before you go changing anything...

Make sure DMA is turned on for this drive.

Find the cleanest commercially pressed CD you can.  

Rip the entire CD to uncompressed WAV in Digital Large Buffer mode.

Note the speed of the first 2 tracks, a middle one, and the last 2 tracks.

The speed should increase as the rip progresses.  The last 2 tracks should be ripped at speeds approaching the max DAE speed for the drive.  If not, there's a hardware of system configuration problem.

When you rip and encode simultaneously in MJ, the data stream from the drive is "pipelined" through the mp3 encoder.  In this case, the speed is limited by the amount of CPU resources the encoder has available to process the stream.  Unless you've got a 5ghz CPU or are using very low quality encoding, the encoder will never be able to keep up with the stream.  I've got 1.8ghz P4 XEON processors and the best I can get out of the encoder at high quality 256k CBR is about 13x.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2002, 02:50:06 pm »

The fastest way(s) to rip are directly to WAV or to APE (fast mode using ripping & encoding simultaneously). Both rip speeds are about the same but the APE takes half as much space. Your rips are done and your files and directories are named.

All that remains is encoding and that is processor/RAM dependent. It doesn't matter what the read speed is on the CDRW or on the hard drive.

The higher the bit rate, the faster the encoding will go. It is recommended that you do a high volume of encoding when you have gone to bed. You also don't need to be connected as the files are already named.

The MP3 encoding program is a plug-in and runs in the background as a separate program as do all plug-ins. You can see this "happening" if you're a DOS kind of person by using the MP3 encoder as an external encoder. Then it runs in a DOS window and you can watch it. ("DOS window" ... an oxymoron)

CVIII

[The foregoing is not legal advice]
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele10

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2002, 03:23:21 pm »

I  tested with a new cd-still wrapped.

I still get speed with MJ half than with EAC-RealJukebox and PowerAmp.

All settings as you say,last aspi and so on,same settings for all riper.

Get maxi X20+
Maxi X10 with MJ
Testing with Nero test drive i go x32 max

Anyway i use EAC ,not MJ ,and rip at around X20-X15 are quite ok to me.

I get cds infos before.Like it i rip without a break

hvy_duty

• Recent member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2002, 03:56:50 pm »

Encoding:  MP3 Encoder, HIgh Quality,160, not normalizing before encoding, ripping and encoding simulataneously

If I remember right I don't think MJ will do all three you have to uncheck the ripping and encoding at the same time to get the nomalization

zevele10

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2002, 04:04:50 am »

Concerning convertion it depends of how you use your computer.
In convertion on the fly,you use power to rip to wav as well to convert to mp3.
And you can see that convertion is slower that if you convert only.

The less you use your computer,the faster you convert.
And not only that.Not using my computer ,if i kill my connection,Yahoo messenger,Netscape mail,anti virus and firewall i convert at a faster speed.I mean quite  a faster speed

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2002, 09:18:42 am »

There have been many discussions on this topic in the past.

I have also noticed that MJ rips much slower then many other players; but the general censisus is that MJ produces a much cleaner sounding final rip & that is, after all, what we use MJ for, isn't it?.

I've used most of the other players out there & can honestly say that MJ is the only one that truly "does it all".
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

zevele10

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2002, 10:01:29 am »

Encoding on the fly is really slow.
I use EAC with the Media Jukebox encoder as external encoder.
So i assume that i get the same quality than using Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up