INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting to Media Juke Boxe's Server Via the internet  (Read 1501 times)

goochr96

• Change this by choosing profile
Connecting to Media Juke Boxe's Server Via the internet
« on: July 18, 2004, 05:02:57 pm »

Hi there people, was wondering if anybody could help me.
   I am trying to connect to my media juke box server via the internet. I have my own home network, i am using a linksys wag54g wireless router (if it makes any difference) I am nearly 100% certain that it set up correctly as far as port forwarding goes because, if u enter the desired address of the media server in to a standard web page browser it comes back and says "You are not using a standard Music01 protocol to access this server." So i guess from that it is looking at the server. However if u enter the same address in to the media juke box, and tell it to connect to that server, it says "Failed To Connecet To Server"
    So i was wondering if anybody out there could help me in anyway possible?
                   Many Thanks
                         Chris Goodman
     (p.s feel free to email ur sugestions to me at [i][b]chris.goodman @ candrlighting.co.uk[/b][/i] Thanks again)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Connecting to Media Juke Boxe's Server Via the internet
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 05:30:44 pm »

Try updating both sides to the most current version from our download page.

On the server PC, with Media Server running, try connecting with MJ (as a test).

goochr96

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 05:42:09 pm »

i was going to make a quick note of just adding that i can infact get the connection to work between the 2 computers over my internal LAN, it is only when it goes external via the internet, and comes back in again i have problems, i am running nortan internet security 2004 pro, however i have disabled the fire wall, and get the same response. Have not as yet disabled my firewall on my router. I am also using to internet conection for testing purposes (thanks to a nearby, unsecure wirless network!!! shh!)
           Thanks once more, Chris Goodman

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 02:32:10 pm »

You'll need to disable or open a hole in the firewall on the router as well.

If you are using NAT (network address translation), you will need to make a forwarding entry for the Media Server port.

j

Branxx

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 03:01:01 am »

Do not disable your firewall!

The way to make this work is to setup as VPN connection between the PC outside your LANand the home PC. After VPN is established connection to Media Server would work in the same way as if the external PC is conncted locally.

I have a setup running Windows 2003 Server on the home front to which external clients can connect using VPN. The server also runs Media Server as NT service that starts automatically on boot (no user needs to login).

With usual broad band connection upload speed you would be ableto listen mucis compresed to 160kbs or bellow without interruptions.

Blue Brummie

• Recent member
Re: Connecting to Media Juke Boxe's Server Via the internet
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 10:34:36 am »

Branxx,

I've been interested in establishing a VPN with my home machine as well. What software/hardware do you recommend? I'm currently running XP Home, so I'm guessing I'd have to upgrade to XP professional as a start.

BB
Pages: [1]   Go Up