INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Global Hotkeys  (Read 1551 times)

floppydisc

• Recent member
Global Hotkeys
« on: October 28, 2004, 01:21:06 pm »

I really love MC and it has nearly all features I need (and even more). The
only thing I'm REALLY missing is Global Hotkeys. Perhaps I just haven't found
them, but as I'm accustomed to the way it works in WinAmp or Foobar, I want
a dialog where I can set for example "Play" to "Ctrl + Win + Num1" or something.
It would be really great, as I would like to control the behavior of the player
during gaming or something - with a simple hotkey.
This would perfectly add to the MC11 addition of unloading skin an library during
minimized mode - it would turn MC into a "background-player" ;-)
Maybe this can be realized through a Remote Control plugin or stomething ...

floppydisc

• Recent member
Re:Global Hotkeys
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 02:00:16 pm »

don't destroy my hope ;)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Global Hotkeys
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 10:30:45 am »

Two options I can think of:

1) Get a nice keyboard with multimedia controls on the top
2) Install any Girder input plugin and let MC use it for remote controlling
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mitleid

Re: Global Hotkeys
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 06:57:47 pm »

Actually, there is another option that I happened to come across this morning, but I'm not sure about application; maybe someone can help me out. Here's what I'm thinking...

First observe the following links:
http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/DevZone/CommandLine.html
and
http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/DevZone/CommandLine.html

You'll see that the developers of Media Center were wise enough to include some pretty advanced tasks to be performed via the command line (these are coincidentally the same tasks that one would take advantage of were they to design a command input plugin). The only problem of course is that in order to use them right now you'd have to manually type out the command line, which is simply absurd. So, I had an idea; is there a Windows application out there that can be used to configure some global hotkeys? I mean something COMPLETELY customizable; not just pre-programmed controls for a select number of programs. I'm talking about something that would let you assign ANYTHING to a hotkey; in this case a whole bevy of command line parameters that could be used with Media Center.

Of course, the other option is to design a hotkey plugin, which seems pretty easy to me. I'm really quite shocked that no one has yet designed a customizable hotkey plugin for MC that could be used to control MC while in another program. I'm not trivializing the effort that goes into even the most simple plugins at all, but I'm really sort of suprised that with all the incredibly advanced and complicated plugins out there no one has made a hotkey one for MC yet. Winamp had like 5 or 6 before the developers actually included global hotkey support in the most recent version.

That being said, if there is anyone around who might know a bit about programming and wants to team up with me and crank out a plugin for MC, I'd love to see if there is anything we could churn out.

floppydisc

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 06:25:07 am »

I already wrote a program that does what I want ;)
If you are interested, write me a PM.

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
  • Negopus: negotium, otium et opus
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 12:29:26 pm »

Actually, there is another option that I happened to come across this morning, but I'm not sure about application; maybe someone can help me out. Here's what I'm thinking...
[...]
The program best suited for defining global hot keys is Girder http://www.girder.nl/. Get version 3.2, that is free. Version 3.3 is now commercial, sold by Promixis http://www.promixis.com/. The old site seems inactive.

After searching for multimedia keyboards and other external hardware controllers, both expensive and not so ergonomic when you are using a computer in the traditional way, I have tried Girder to define global hotkeys to control Media Center while running other applications, that is the best (and cheapest) solution for me. Results were unsatisfactory: slow and interfering with the current running program. See the following post under a new topic for details.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 05:42:52 pm »

So, I had an idea; is there a Windows application out there that can be used to configure some global hotkeys? I mean something COMPLETELY customizable; not just pre-programmed controls for a select number of programs.

I don't know how well that program is working out, but I thought I'd mention that UltraMon does this (among a rediculous amount of other cool things).  Its a program designed to give you complete control over your monitor setup (especially for dual monitor setups).  It also happens to implement this hotkey functionality (it's how you define hotkeys for it, but it lets you run arbitrary scripts, commands, etc).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

edbro

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004, 06:27:18 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up