INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help with Removable Drive  (Read 1947 times)

BadDog

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
Need Help with Removable Drive
« on: December 18, 2004, 07:23:49 am »

I have bought my son a USB based flash card MP3 player.  This device appears to Windows as a removable drive and you can drag/drop folders or files to it.  MediaCenter sees it at Drives and Devices as drive G and as a Handheld Player.

No problem transferring files to it using Windows Explorer, just right click copy the folder and paste it onto Drive G: and the USB MP3 player retains the folder structure so when navigating you see Aerosmith then Rocks, Get your Wings etc.  This makes selecting the audio you want to hear on the handheld easy.  When using MC you drag and drop the files to the device but there is no file structure brought to the device so they all appear in the root of the device as indivdual tracks.  Not real convienient but it works.

Now the problem is I don't want him messing with my file structure in Explorer.  Would you trust a 12 year old in a hurry with your library? 

Is there a way to somehow get the files onto the device with the folder structure using MC?  Synch it or something?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tim T.

IanG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Need Help with Removable Drive
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 09:45:01 am »

If you put the files you want to transfer into a playlist(s), you can sync the hand held with that.  There are a number of options on how you want this to work when you define the device as a handheld - Tools / Options / Handheld.  Another thing you might want to do is right click on the handheld in the Drives & Devices tree.  You can specify how you want your folders organised once they've been uploaded - you may find that the handheld doesn't support the number of directory levels you're using on your pc.

Would you trust a 12 year old in a hurry with your library? 

As they say, I may be mad, but I'm not stupid!

Ian G.

BadDog

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 11:18:14 am »

Ian,
Thanks, you got me started on the right track. May post another question after I poke around a bit.  My library feels safer now!  Now I need to hunt around the web for some 1GB SD cards cheap.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 02:36:50 pm »

Thanks Ian.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up