INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Custom Track Switching  (Read 1304 times)

UnknownID

Feature Request: Custom Track Switching
« on: December 18, 2004, 10:05:42 am »

I am not sure if I am like most people; I have a very wide range of music that I like to listen to. Some of the music is a collection of single tracks (most music today) (Standard Track Switching), yet some music flows from one track to the next (Enigma, early Delerium, etc.) (Gapless Track Swithcing). I also make playlists of my techno music, which requires a cross-fade between tracks to help keep the mood alive (Cross-Fading).

I wanted to know if it would be possible to create a feature (either on specific playlists, associated with specific albums, or even associated with specific tracks) where the Track Switching could be inharent? I know that there is an Alternate function (only one), but I wanted to know if it could be inherent so I could set it up once and forget about it and use each of the methods for switching tracks depending on the type of music.

Thanks for your time.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Re: Feature Request: Custom Track Switching
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 04:03:40 pm »

Isn't that what CUE sheet support does?
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

UnknownID

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 07:18:25 pm »

I ran a search in the help file and nothing came up.

What is "CUE sheet support" and where might I find it in MC?

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 07:27:44 am »

I think what he is asking for is a way to tell MC how to set crossfade options on a track by track basis. At the moment this isnt possible. You need to know in advance if the album to cue up requires crossfade or gapless play.

A cue file is used for a an album that is ripped as one large mp3, so there are no audible gaps when the track switches. This is common in the case of DJ mixes or live performances.

My workaround for this is if tracks require gapless play, they are ripped with CUE, else separate tracks and i keep the crossfader set to gapless play and forget about it.

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 09:50:15 am »

I would like such a feature, too!

This would solve my problem with live-tracks that are played among studio-tracks.

I'd like to crossfade the live-tracks with the studio-tracks and play consecutive studio-tracks gapless.

Fred

UnknownID

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 11:51:06 am »

I think what he is asking for is a way to tell MC how to set crossfade options on a track by track basis. At the moment this isnt possible. You need to know in advance if the album to cue up requires crossfade or gapless play.

A cue file is used for a an album that is ripped as one large mp3, so there are no audible gaps when the track switches. This is common in the case of DJ mixes or live performances.

My workaround for this is if tracks require gapless play, they are ripped with CUE, else separate tracks and i keep the crossfader set to gapless play and forget about it.

Thanks for the info. I don't need to have it on a track-by-track basis (though that would be nice; and the most varsitile solution). It could just be an option on a playlist.

Ok, back to this CUE thing. I looked in Options > Encoding for how to do this, but I may just be blind cause I don't see it. Could sombody clue me in on how do accomplish this task?

On another note: I have been using MC since v9 and I love it; It is hands down the best media player out there (I am sure about that since I spent 6 months searching for the best and tried countless media players... some popular and some not popular). I have only one complaint and it is regarding this exact issue. There are so many features and so many options that if you are not clicking on the right thing or in the right window, you would never find it. i.e. the only place I know to enable "always on top" for the mini view is on the mini player itself. Personally, I think ALL the options should be located in the OPTIONS dialog box AS WELL AS in the local areas. MC is a very intuitave program and it allows a user to do things in multiple ways. i.e. Sending tracks to an external player can be done by drag-and-drop, right-click > send to, or opening the Handheald player on the Action Window. I just think all the features should be along these lines, not only some of them.

It may only be me ;D ;D ;D

himini

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 03:12:48 pm »

This is a great feature request.  I would love such an option.  Idea being you could tag each track for the type of transition it requires.  Great idea.

This would be a plus for me as well-- I usually like an aggressive cross-fade, but with certain tracks, a cross-fade can ruin the effect of the beginning or the end of the song.  (Like if the particular song has a strong or sudden opening or finish.)

The fact that we are even discussing such an option is a testament to the fact that MC is by far the best and most feature-rich all-around media player in existence.
MC 11 registered
Win XP SP 1a
Samsung 352B combo drive
Sony DRU 510-A DVD burner
Pages: [1]   Go Up