INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Replay Gain etc not transferring to iPod  (Read 1610 times)

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
Help! Replay Gain etc not transferring to iPod
« on: December 22, 2004, 01:06:37 pm »

After many months of happy service with my iPod and MC10, I've had occasion to restore the iPod to the factory default settings using the standard Apple utility.

Following the restore, I initialized the iPod in MC10 and transferred my playlists over to the iPod.

I immediately noticed that everything was disproportionately quiet (I usually transfer things over with the +24db adjustment to replay gain).  I checked this setting and it's still applied.

But on listening to the tracks on the iPod, it clearly hasn't "stuck".  In fact, if I look at the extended tag info for the files on the iPod, the Replay Gain, BPM and Intensity are all listed as "?".

Any ideas what's happened?  I've never had this issue before.

Details are as follows:  MC 10.0.173, 3G 30GB iPod.

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
Re: Help! Replay Gain etc not transferring to iPod
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 01:11:24 pm »

Hmmmm.... after initializing the iPod again, and transferring a few tracks, it now appears to be OK, although the track info still shows Replay Gain as "?".

So, not a major problem, though still a curiosity.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 03:03:24 pm »

Madcow,

The replay gain on iPod is actually a translation of the MC Replay Gain to an iPod equivalent, so that is why the '?'. Why it did not work the first time, I am not sure. I can come up with some ways if the files were already on the iPod, but if the iPod was truly clean after an initialization, I am not sure.

Steve

ForsakenArdor

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I hate Jay Leno.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 08:58:55 pm »

I've recently had this problem myself, but with different iPods.  I was using a 3g 40 GB iPod and recently upgraded to a 60 GB iPod Photo.  I'm using Windows98, but was able to format the firmware to the latest version using a computer with XP on display at CompUSA.  At first, everything seemed okay, but, like Madcow, everything was quieter and all the songs played at their various native volumes.

The first initializing, I suppose I was multitasking too many things at once and the iPod database got corrupted with gibberish file lists.  While that's only cosmetic, it's still a pain.  "Rebuild database from iPod" is a command that has never worked for me.  It takes forever, and when it's finally done, at least for me, MC locks up and performs an illegal operation, and this occurs every time I click on it and MC tries to read the database.  I have to manually delete the iTunes files and then iniatialize again (or run Apple restore software at CompUSA again if I want to waste some time).  The second initializing and upload, it turned out with a good database, but this is where I had the replay gain problem.

I don't know what causes all of this, but I just initialized again and transferred two songs I knew had significant volume differences and it seems to work.  I just hope when I upload the other songs, everything'll be okay this time.  I'm using 10.0.173.
Pages: [1]   Go Up