INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: why is j river ripping cd's so slowly?  (Read 1175 times)

grenadier

why is j river ripping cd's so slowly?
« on: December 23, 2004, 12:54:03 am »

I'm currently running j river v. 10.0.80 on my 3.5 Ghz p4 and the ripping speed is annoyingly slow. I checked in windows task manager and it says that j river is only utilizing 50% of my cpu speed even when everything else is closed.

I am encoding using mp3 vbr @ high quality and my optical drive is a NEC 3500a DVD writer with a more than high enough cd read speed to keep up with my computer. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there some way to speed this up so it doesn't take ~30 minutes to encode a single cd??

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
Re: why is j river ripping cd's so slowly?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 01:04:26 am »

First of all, I would recomend that you install the latest build. 10.0.80 seems to be very old to me. Even though I don't specifically recall ripping speed problems, they may have been solved lately.

Once installed the latest build of MC.10 that you'll find in the first posts of this board,

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=23736.0

check again if the problem persists. If so, let us have some additional information by copying and pasting your system info. (Help -> System info).

Omni

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 04:23:26 am »

It's not MC that is slow; it's Lame, the MP3 encoder.  This is a known issue.  Search the forum for the solution.  (I don't recall the thread(s).)  It's just basically exchanging out the current encoder.

Come to think of it, Jim probably references this issue in one of the sticky threads.   ;)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 05:05:28 am »

This is one of the threads:
V11 slow ripping -- AKA MP3 encoding speed

Are you using an external LAME with MC10 or have you changed the lame.exe file in plugins folder to a newer one? MC10 should not have any encoding speed problems with the default encoder (LAME 3.93.1).

There are changes in the LAME switches that make "High Quality" option in MC incredibly slow. If you are using e.g. LAME 3.96.1 you should not use "High Quality" in MC options. Use instead one of the LAME preset command line strings in "Quality > Qustom > Advanced".

An other thread about LAME 3.96.1 settings:
where is mp3 vbr?

All LAME 3.96.1 preset settings for VBR encoding are here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=24526;start=msg171088#msg171088

50% CPU usage is normal if you have Hyper-Threading enabled. Currently LAME can use only one of the virtual CPUs.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up