INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: External Sound Card Redux  (Read 771 times)

bc

• Junior Woodchuck
External Sound Card Redux
« on: December 24, 2004, 04:35:13 pm »

USB--Firewire--Ethernet--WiFi ?

About two years ago I bought a Stereo-Link 1200 USB sound card, which I've used since then on my desktop. I remain totally satisfied.

No problem except they don't make them anymore.

My requirement is real simple. I want the best stereo signal I can get from the MP3, OGG, APE and WAV files on my new laptop's HDD. I want the best onboard DAC I can get and I want to output the analog to a little tube amp.

The beautiful part of the Stereo-Link was that it was designed to do exactly what I wanted it to do--get the best analog output possible from the digital source on the computer. Nothing more--nothing less. It was a breeze to install--totally transparent to MC--plays anything/everything that MC plays.

There mustn't be much of a market for this sort of thing. Every device I've looked at seems to do all sorts of other things (like record/mix MIDI music--whatever the hell that is) etc.

I am not planning to learn the piano any time soon nor do I want to record anything. I just want to play my friggn' music.

I had settled on an M-Audio Firewire Audiophile. However the new laptop came with XP Pro SP2 installed. There seems to be a fatal conflict between SP2 and the M-Audio driver. So that is going back.

Now I've stumbled across these newfangled Ethernet media hubs. More confusion.

Can anybody out there stear me to a great +/- $300 solution to get the digital sounds to my analog amp--preferably something that doesn't have any driver "issues?"

bc

Tangoman

• World Citizen
  • You are nothing that you are conscious of.
Re: External Sound Card Redux
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 06:56:44 am »

Hi BC
Just to let you know I am using the M-Audiophile firewire on my laptop with Win XP pro Sp2 with out any problems. The sound quality is exemplary.  Micorsoft have just released an update to fix the issue they created with firewire  after installing SP2 (KB885222) But you might like to consider a card card from Echo    http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/CardBus/IndigoDJ/index.php
This will give you two  HQ stereo outputs annd no extras Which might be exactly what you are looking for. I have heard many goodd reports about this interface.
Hope this helps
Gerry
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left. - Anon
Pages: [1]   Go Up