INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ipod will not complete a sync  (Read 2054 times)

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
Ipod will not complete a sync
« on: December 28, 2004, 11:28:30 am »

I realize there have been issues with Ipod syncing in the last few builds, but I haven't noticed anyone with the same problem I'm having. It's been happening for several builds now and I'm currently using .162.

When I attempt to sync 15gb of mp3s to my freshly-initialized 20gb Ipod, MC fails each time with a "Out of memory. Upload aborted" error. Most recently, it aborted on file 669, but this seems to vary a fair amount. I've noticed that the transfer rate of the Ipod slowly declines over the course of the sync, starting around 3 or 4mb/sec and reaching 1.4mb/sec or so by the time it fails. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it.

I'm assuming the "out of memory" error points to a space issue on the Ipod as opposed to a memory issue on my computer. I have 1gb of RAM and haven't noticed any drop in available memory during this syncing process. The Ipod is empty before attempting the sync and MC reports that there will be 3.5gb of remaining space...

Any ideas?

P.S. I flashed my Ipod to the latest 11-15-04 firmware the other week...but I'm not sure if that coincided with the problems I began to have with syncing. It's hard to pinpoint it with the different daily builds of MC I've been trying. Could this be an issue?

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Ipod will not complete a sync
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 04:26:37 pm »

I am having a similar problem.  After re-initializing my ipod with 162, it says I will have -11.2 gigs available after syncing, with *no* playlists checked.  In other words, it thinks the newly initialized ipod capacity is -11.2 gigs.

The ipod reports 13.8 gb free space.

I haven't been able to sync the ipod since about .140

UPDATE - I have been able to sync again.  After initializing the ipod, I noticed that MC was automatically putting 2226 files into the ipod download queue, even though I had not checked any playlists in the sync window.  I deleted the files shown as being in queue, and now MC sees the correct amount of free  space.

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 11:10:49 am »

Update: I successfully synced my 15gb of music to my Ipod by doing it in chunks. I synced by 500 or so songs at a time and this worked fine. For some reason a full sync of those 3000-some songs (to my Ipod when it's empty) will fail every time. One thing to note is that these songs are all in one playlist. Would this make any difference to MC?

And does my problem of the transfer rate slowly declining throughout the whole process relate to any of this? It declines over the course of several batches of syncs and never returns to normal 6mb/sec speed until I eject and start over.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 07:40:24 am »

matthewmattical,

The fact that the songs are in one playlist should not make a difference. In regards to the failure after 500 files or so, I check for available space before each file transfer. The 'Out of Memory' implies that iPod is incorrectly reporting that there is not enough space or some othe issue. It is hard to explain why that would be. Nothing in that code has changed recently. How long have you seen this?

Steve

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 04:15:28 pm »

SteveG,
Thanks for the reply. I haven't done much more testing with this problem since I managed to get my music on the iPod in chunks. When I originally tried to sync my 3500-song (15gb) playlist, I made sure on each attempt that the iPod was entirely empty (initialized from MC). MC properly reported that there would be 3.5gb of space left after the sync, but then it would fail. I can't help but think the "out of memory" error is directly related to the other issue I noticed - slowly declining transfer rate. It seemed as though the transfer would fail around the same time the transfer rate had dropped to roughly 1mb/sec. This, of course, has not been scientifically tested...

I also cannot exactly determine when this began. I just decided one day, several MC builds ago, that I would initialize my iPod and start fresh with some new playlists. It could very well have been like this all along.

In other news: Thanks for the iPod foreign character fix in the latest build! Works great.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 11:58:36 am »

matthewmattical,

When you start synching again, see if you can replicate this problem as simply as possible and I will try to replicate it here (I currently cannot, nor are others reporting this). If I can, I will fix it.

Steve

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 01:48:07 pm »

I finally got around to initializing my iPod and trying a full sync again (because the latest 11.0.180 seems to have cleared the database/index of mp3s on my iPod). I started a full sync of 2697 files (12.7gb) and left it over night. I received the same error message as before:

Note the transfer rate of 0.49mb/sec. It had started at ~3mb/sec and declined over the course of the transfer. What gives?

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 02:22:18 am »

Huh, so get this. I decided to try out iTunes for kicks to see if I could sync my music - it failed about 300 songs into the transfer too! I promptly disconnected my USB2.0 ipod cable and plugged in the Firewire cable. Media Center is currently cruising along at 6mb/sec on file 571 and shows no signs of stopping. I wonder why the USB cable wouldn't work the same way?

Sorry to blame Media Center! Screwy hardware all along...
Pages: [1]   Go Up