INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing music on another PC  (Read 2061 times)

scrappy

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Playing music on another PC
« on: October 19, 2004, 10:58:08 am »

Hi I am very new to MC I looked around for a few hours but couldn't seem to find what I was looking for.  Some of the links to the FAQ page don't work.

I am starting with a pretty basic setup.  I have a server that will hold all of my media, ( currently music and pictures), I have sharing enable on that directory(s) for myhome network.
I have an PC connected to my home theater so I can play music view images etc.  
The HT receiver has multizone capability and it drives speakers in a remote location, lets call it Zone2.   I want to have a laptop or other pc in Zone2, remote control the HTPC so I can playback music in Zone2.  Now I could just use remote control software like XP's built in remote control but is there a better way to do this with Media Center or some other product.

Thanks in advance and I apologize for being such a noob.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Newbie help with MC please
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 11:02:16 am »

Media Center supports several remotes (IRMan, etc.) and also Girder input plugins.

It also supports multi-zone playback with one instance of MC.  Check out the 'Zone Manager' inside of MC.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

scrappy

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 11:10:00 am »

I wasn't clear on the question.  I want full control of the MC and want it to run on a PC I could use Windows XP Remote desktop but I just wanted to know if there is a better way.  I saw Netremote but that only looks like it is for PPC's.  I am planning on using my PPC down the road.

I guess I am looking for MC to act as a Client Server app.

Thanks!

scrappy

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 08:03:48 am »

anyone ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 08:38:24 am »

It's hard to understand exactly what you want.

Zone playback is different from what you describe.

I think you may want to play the music from one PC on another PC.  If so, take a look at Media Server.  MC's help file has information on it.

I changed your subject on this thread.  The original subject did not describe your question.

scrappy

• Recent member
Re:Playing music on another PC
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 01:49:25 pm »

Sorry that I am not being clear.  I'll try this again.

I have a PC server  running Media Server (which contains all of my music).

I have an HTPC running Media Center (which connects to the server running Media Server) connected to my multizone amplifier so I can play music in my hometheater room.  I have one of the amplifier outputs connected to speakers in my basement rec room, which allows me to play music there.  
What I want is to have a laptop control the HTPC so I can pick the music I want with the full Media Center Interface.  I know I can use Windows XP Remote Desktop to take remote control of the HTPC but is there a better way? ?

If that isn't clear I guess I could draw something  and post it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 01:58:01 pm »

Netremote can do that.

www.promixis.com

scrappy

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 01:59:51 pm »

Thanks Jim.  I wasn't sure about it so I'll check it out.

milknkukis

• World Citizen
  • Crumbs!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 07:52:47 am »

Scrappy
I use RealVNC for this, I like it because it's free! Also, it's very easy and quick to set-up.
It's also good fun to install it on your workmates' workstations when they go for a coffee, then spend the rest of the afternoon freaking them out by taking control of their machines! tee hee hee.....
good luck
cheers
mark

scrappy

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 10:23:45 am »

Ya I could use that to I have been using that at work for about 3 years and it works great.  Thanks for the suggestion.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 11:01:08 am »

IF you go the RealVNC route.

You might want to check out UltraVNC, it has a windows mode driver that you can use which makes response time over a LAN very quick. just as free as Real VNC. Not sure if windows driver is available in RealVNC.

Its slightly buggy compared to RealVNC..but not that much.

jed

Re: Playing music on another PC
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 11:31:21 pm »

I currently use VNC for this purpose as well but it is far from ideal. It would be ideal to be able to have the application itself run on the local pc and the sound come from the sound card on the media server. 

I am using the remote server a bit but it is obviously very lacking compared to the rich UI of the actual application.  I don't understand why this isn't a priority for MC and similar products.  I would think there are a ton of people who want to do this. 

Can anyone shed some light on how to make this happen?

BTW, I looked into NetRemote but it appears to be exclusively for PPC.

thx.

J

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Playing music on another PC
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2004, 07:02:08 pm »

BTW, I looked into NetRemote but it appears to be exclusively for PPC.

NetRemote is available for both PPC handhelds and regular Windows desktop operating systems.  With it you can take control of a remote Media Center application.  It allows a pretty wide range of control over many functions and includes the ablility to see and use the library and playlists.  It's not the entire UI but it's enough for many remote playback control functions.  It's not enough to do 'everything' that MC offers but in that case it'd be best to use VNC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up