INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading problem from MC9 to MC11  (Read 1451 times)

Robert S

• Junior Woodchuck
Upgrading problem from MC9 to MC11
« on: December 28, 2004, 12:31:48 am »

I've originally bought a license for MJ8, then upgraded to version 9, now I want to upgrade to version 11.

I want to upgrade from 9 to 11 for that 15$ price that is published here on Interact.

As I'm told, MC11 checks if I have had an earlier registered version installed, which I have.

This is how I do: I have MC9 installed (double-check that it is registered) and then I upgrade (*) it to MC11. But I always end up at the 35$ page.

(*) I’ve tried to upgrade to MC11 both with and without first uninstalling MC9.

Can someone please guide me on how to get the upgrade price!!

/Robert

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Upgrading problem from MC9 to MC11
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 05:26:53 am »

Perhaps the J River crew is on holiday (I think there was no JR activity yesterday), but let's try if we can work this out.

You didn't mention what MC9 version you are using. Is it MC9 or MC 9.1? Do you have an MJ8 license (MC9 upgrade was free for earlier licensed MJ8 users) or did you actually bought an MC9 license too? The upgrade price is the same in both cases, but I don't know if that makes any difference otherwise. Did you use MS Internet Explorer? J River recommends it.

During the MC11 development the licensing policy was changed from expiring builds to the current model. At that time I lost my MC10 license (I have them both installed in different folders). I fixed that by installing a newer MC10 version on top of that earlier version. No restore was needed.

You could try the next procedure:

- If you don't have an MC11 library backup (made before the try-out expired) copy the entire MC11 library folder (a folder with the MC database files, not your music files) to a safe place.

- Download and install the latest MC9.1 to a separate folder, e.g. "C:\MC9temp". Don't uninstall MC11.

- Apply or restore your MJ8 or MC9 license if needed.

- Try to start MC11 and check if you can buy the upgrade from the MC11 startup window.

- If that does not work download and install the latest MC10 to a separate folder, e.g. "C:\MC10temp". Don't uninstall anything. The purpose of this is to find out if that changes something in the Windows registry and allows MC11 to see the earlier licenses.

I don't know if the MC9.x -> MC11 problem is common. Has anybody else experienced it?

I think that if nothing helps J River can give you refund if you buy MC11 at full price, but don't count on that, it's just my guess.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Robert S

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 03:04:03 pm »

Hi Alex and thanks for replying. I'm getting rather desperate since my trial period with MC11 is over and as it is right now I cannot use MC11 at all, and I have no installation of MC9 running.

I did use MC9.1 before and I did pay for the upgrade from MJ8. My plan now is to install MC9.1 on a computer that is brand new with no previous installation of MC before. I have a library backup, which is now 30 days old and not up-yo-date, but I'll use that until I get a working MC11 installation.

What I will do now is to follow your advices and have both MC9.1 and MC10 installed in different folders and see if I get the upgrade price there. I'll post back with results from this.

Thanks again. I never thought it would be this difficult to upgrade...but since MC is such a great app I'll keep on trying...

Robert

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 03:32:41 pm »

It is not meant to be difficult. There can be a bug. Most of the early adopters have upgraded from v. 10. If there is a bug I am sure that J River wants it to be solved before MC11 goes prime time. So keep on trying and report your findings.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Robert S

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 01:32:17 am »

It must be a bug in MC11

I've now got all three versions installed in three different folders (\Media Center 9, \Media Center10, \Media Center11) and I get the upgrade price when I cklick "Buy" in MC10, but I get the full price when I click "Buy" in MC11.

I've also noticed that the web-page that I se when I click Buy in MC 11 has this URL:

https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/buy.cgi?productid=23&upgradefrom=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Where all the XXXX's in the end in reality is my reg.no, so it is probably not a bug in MC11, but in the actuall webpage-thing...

/Robert

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 09:51:58 am »

Hi Kobba,

I think it's a bug, unfortunately, I won't be able to fix this until monday.
JRiver is closed until then.

j

Robert S

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 12:52:38 pm »

Thats no problem. It's good to know that I'm getting closer to a solution. Happy New Year!

/Robert

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 12:58:05 pm »

Actually it was a quick fix (I forgot to enter the price for one class of license) and should now work.

Happy New Year...

j

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 01:02:47 pm »

Gateley

you must be new at this, your suppose to blame it on someone else.

Even if you look over your shoulder and your the last guy to blame, there is always the dog.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 01:31:45 pm »

You are almost right King, except for small stuff, you should readily admit to it, so that when you deny the big stuff, they believe you...

j

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004, 01:55:41 pm »

1. I Am Never Wrong (Ask My Wife)

2. You Just Need A Class On "Covering Your Tracks 101"

;D

Ps: I sold one of my domain names today to A small radio station in Mich (I Have 4 Domain Names) so I will be buying another 300 gig drive (For BackUp Reasons).
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up