INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audiobook files on iPod  (Read 2952 times)

10sne1

• World Citizen
Audiobook files on iPod
« on: December 29, 2004, 10:05:31 pm »

Is there a way to put an mp3 playlist which is an audiobook in the audiobook section? 

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Audiobook files on iPod
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 07:42:54 am »

Is there a way to put an mp3 playlist which is an audiobook in the audiobook section? 

What do you mean by 'the audiobook section'?

Thanks,

Steve

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 08:50:16 am »

When you look under MUSIC on iPod there is AUDIOBOOKS choice.  I'd like to keep my audiobooks separate so those files are not chosen when I want to shuffle music files.

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 08:23:44 am »

10sne1,

What firmware do you have on iPod? What is the exact path to 'MUSIC' on your iPod?

Steve

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 04:31:33 pm »

Hi Steve,
I did update the iPod to latest firmware recently.  When I look on  the iPod I see version 3.0.2.  Is this the firmware number?

When you ask for exact path for MUSIC, do you want me to look for file structure via my PC? 
If yes it goes like this:
iPod_Control/Music
under that there are bunch of folders which look like this: F00, F01, F02, etc. to F19

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 11:56:05 am »

10sne1,

When you ask for exact path for MUSIC, do you want me to look for file structure via my PC?

No. On the iPod, what do you browse through to get to the 'MUSIC' item you are referring to?

Steve

kpod

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 01:25:04 pm »

Steve,
still being 'tenderfoot' maybe I should'nt interfere - but I think I see what's meant:

The user interface of the photo (and i think the 4G and latest mini, too) iPods shows in it's main menu  'Music' as the first menu item. When you click on this you have several sub menu items like 'Playlists', 'Audio Books' and others.

In case you sync with iTunes e.g. Audible files as well as files with suffix .m4b are shown under 'Audio Books'. I found a hint in the forum of ipodfun.de that you can make iTunes convert .mp3 to .m4p then just rename to .m4b and you find (and play) your file in the Audio Book menu.

This can help to seperate books (or podcasts?) from music in case you do not want to do it e.g. by Genre playlists.

Klaus

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 02:24:23 pm »

Klaus,

Thanks for the update. We don't have the latest iPod's here so that accounts for why I am unfamiliar with this interface.

Steve

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 07:23:42 pm »

Thanks Klaus,
Now I'm on to another stupid question.  Can MC 11 convert the mp3 file to m4p?  I guess I need iTunes after all if this is the case. 
Thanks for the hint...I will try it.

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 11:50:57 am »

Can MC 11 convert the mp3 file to m4p?

Not natively, but search the main board for some possible solutions to this using 3rd party plugins.

Steve

gakselso

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 12:36:17 am »

Just to comment further. I've done this succesfully with a few books I had that were composed of mp3 segments.  Just google up an mp3 joiner (musiCutter worked for me) to join all the chunks and then toss the large mp3 into iTunes and convert it to a low bitrate AAC format file, the file will end up in your myMusic/itunes/something directory and end in .m4a.   You can now just rename this file to .m4b and import it into MC and sync it on down to your pod.  It will show up as an audio book and have the added bonus of being bookmarkable - every time you pause or switch to music or another book the pod will "bookmark" your book for you and resume from that point the next time you select it.  Tres cool.

Word of caution though....  I'm listening to a 19hr book right now (first one) and it's lost it's bookmark a few times which is quite inconvenient.  It's either just stopped playing the book and gone to the menu, or switched to a random shuffle of music on me; either way the bookmark is gone, so I now keep a rough mental note of how far along I am :-)

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 09:31:30 am »

Thanks for the insight gakselso.  Question:  why join these mp3's before converting?  I've used iTunes (too bad MC doesn't convert AAC) and used this to convert 1 mp3 audiobook file to see if it worked.  Yes, success.  It shows up in the audiobook listing on iPod.  I didn't go any further with it yet to convert the whole book.  The m4b file DID show up in the MUSIC listing also though, so it would be mixed in with audio files during shuffle.  Did I do something wrong?
Pages: [1]   Go Up