INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Customized Startup View?  (Read 1781 times)

himini

• Recent member
Customized Startup View?
« on: December 28, 2004, 08:47:30 pm »

I've been using MC 10, and recently I downloaded the latest build of MC 11 to check it out.  There are definitely some advantages, but I am also slightly annoyed by some things.  I noticed from doing a search here that the "last location" feature in the startup options has been taken away, so I was wondering if there is some other way to achieve this functionality.  Sometimes I close the program and am annoyed that I have to re-navigate to my previous location (artist or album or song for example).

It is particularly annoying when using "split view" (a great feature) and the second view always starts up in the "Start" location, which is an eyesore as well as being a completely useless location.  With all the great customization of this program, I feel sure that I am missing something.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
MC 11 registered
Win XP SP 1a
Samsung 352B combo drive
Sony DRU 510-A DVD burner

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Customized Startup View?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 05:34:03 pm »

Last location was removed for technical reasons.

Maybe minimize MC instead of closing it if you aren't done with the location you're working on.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

himini

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 11:40:06 pm »

Thanks for the response.  Is there any way to not have the second part of a split view always open up with "Start"?  I realize "last location" has been taken away, which is sad, but at this point I would be satisfied with starting up anywhere other than "Start."  Otherwise, having the split view feature may not be worth it, and I would probably go back to version 10.  I know I'm really nit-picking-- sorry about that. 

Thanks again.
MC 11 registered
Win XP SP 1a
Samsung 352B combo drive

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 02:21:07 am »

Thanks for the response. Is there any way to not have the second part of a split view always open up with "Start"? I realize "last location" has been taken away, which is sad, but at this point I would be satisfied with starting up anywhere other than "Start." Otherwise, having the split view feature may not be worth it, and I would probably go back to version 10. I know I'm really nit-picking-- sorry about that.

Thanks again.

While it's not going to stop me using 11, I agree with you over the 2nd split/start page thing. A mirror of split one seems most obvious choice, but that's just me and I'm no programmer, that's for sure ;)

I have been dropping this in my bug reports, inspite of the fact that it's more of an irritant than a bug, so I'll echo here as it's a better place for discussion.

It's wierd, but I just feel this aversion to stuff that connects to the internet just because it can. I can't help it, I'm just wired that way I guess. If I choose to download a plugin from within MC, that's fine, because I chose to do it, things like the start page loading automatically or the browser opening upon registration irk me because I don't chose them. I'm a fully paid up user with nothing to hide, but if I apply my liscence file to MC, I'll make sure that browser will 404 before doing so. This type of thing is a downside of MC for me, and one I make sure anyone I recommend MC to is fully aware of. I'm pretty sure there's nothing devious going on, it's just that if I'm being involved in usage statistics, anonymous or otherwise, it should be by choice, not design. btw, does the TV area still do that too? I've honestly never gone there since it started that!!

ooops... where was I? oh yes, split views, that was it....

could the 2nd split possibly be allowed to start somewhere else other than the start page?

-marko.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 04:30:39 am »

I have "Media Library" in my startup options. Split view could at least use what I have chosen there.

There could also be an indication of which view is active.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

himini

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 04:52:31 am »

There could also be an indication of which view is active.

Yes!!  Forgot to mention this before.  It's frustrating in split view when you think you're manipulating one view and it turns out you've changed the one you don't want to change!
MC 11 registered
Win XP SP 1a
Samsung 352B combo drive

LonWar

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 06:43:40 am »

could the 2nd split possibly be allowed to start somewhere else other than the start page?

-marko.

That would be nice.... It takes longer to load MC when it goes to the start screen....
-

Dragyn

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 06:56:15 am »

Matt, sometimes I just don't understand you. I've seen stuff in MC that would make other programs cry. You guys are excellent coders and something like this just boggles my mind.

Maybe minimize MC instaed of closing it if you aren't done with the location you're working on.

avenger107

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 07:38:03 am »

I have to agree on this one. You have got to be kidding? MC cannot remember what it was doing when it was last closed? 

I use several large playlists and really appreciate with MC 10 being able to pick up where I left off. I'm not going to keep my PC at home running all the time just to run MC minimized.  This will definately keep my money in my wallet.

Previous Posts:
 Matt, sometimes I just don't understand you. I've seen stuff in MC that would make other programs cry. You guys are excellent coders and something like this just boggles my mind.

Quote from: Matt on December 29, 2004, 05:34:03 PM

Maybe minimize MC instaed of closing it if you aren't done with the location you're working on.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 07:54:40 am »

I get the impression he's being sarcastic here ...LOL

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 09:11:12 am »

So it sounds like what we really need is just to redesign the Start page. (ducks for cover)

Seriously though, new split views should probably start at the same location as the first view.  This will happen with time. 

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

himini

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 03:25:16 pm »

Seriously though, new split views should probably start at the same location as the first view.

Okay, since we're talking about the way it should be... ;)....

As the title of this thread suggests, it would be ideal if the program could open looking exactly the way we want it to, with each of the split views being configurable separately (or remembering where they last were when we closed the program.)   This could reduce some clicks that we all probably perform every time we open MC.

For example, one of the reasons I really like split view is that I can have "Now Playing" always showing on one view and song navigation always showing on the other, like this:

http://www.himini.net/Images/mc2

I consider this a fairly simple and straightforward view (that others would enjoy perhaps? hehe...)  And it is currently not available at startup, although now I realize it's just two extra clicks; oh well, you get the idea.
MC 11 registered
Win XP SP 1a
Samsung 352B combo drive
Pages: [1]   Go Up