INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod red X hh_portable error on synchronize  (Read 1261 times)

kmcgorry

• nothing more to say...
iPod red X hh_portable error on synchronize
« on: January 03, 2005, 01:14:02 pm »

I have been an advocate and fan of JRiver since using Media Jukebox 8 and have only grown to love it more since getting my 3rd generation 40GB iPod in December 2003.  I've told everyone to use it and dump iTunes.

I was happily using MC10.0.155 to manage and synch files up until 12/18/04.  That's the day my iPod was stolen.

I went out yesterday and bought a brand new 4th generation 40GB iPod and was happily expecting to simply upload my music without missing a beat (so to speak)....but disaster seems to have struck again.

I have ~7000 songs  totalling 31GB and, after formatting and initializing the iPod I attempted to synchronize.  After 200 songs, the transfer stopped and I got a small dialog box with no dialog, just a red X.  I clicked it but the transfer was aborted.  The files that had already transferred were on the iPod okay, but that was only a small fraction.  I was able to successfully transfer the "hung" song by dragging it manually onto the player drive icon.

I quit MC, restarted the system and tried again.  Again a hang after 380 songs.

Restart, reformat, reinitialize...Red X.  This time when I went to task manager I saw the dialog box title was hh_portable.  Not that it helped.

I installed MC10.0.173.  Same issue.   On every try it gets only so far and hangs.

I installed MC11.0.148.  Same issue.

I've tried the following:
- Update library
- Turn off replay gain transfer
- Rebuild library
- Turn off MC sync
- Ensure iTunes is not accessing the iPod on startup

I'm now back to the more stable MC10.0.173, but I'm at my wit's end.  I don't want to use iTunes, but I can't be without my music.  I've scoured the postings with search and manually (BTW somebody really needs to address the server load time for this forum).  Help!!!

My system is Windows XP Professional, SP2.  I'm transferring on a USB 2.0 connection to a 4th Gen 40GB iPod.

I begging you, Steve or anyone, to help me keep the faith with Media Center.

Kevin

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: iPod red X hh_portable error on synchronize
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 12:02:53 pm »

kevin,

If all was working fine before switching iPods then the most obvious variable is the new iPod/ cable, etc .  Something else could be wrong, but we should start with what most recently changed. To verify it is not a hardware issue, try using another application to transfer the files and see if it fails similarly. If not, then reinitialize iPod and lets chase it from within MC.

Steve

kmcgorry

• nothing more to say...
Re: iPod red X hh_portable error on synchronize
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 12:30:47 am »

Good call, Steve.  I tried using iTunes (which I had been avoiding) and it failed, too, with a "-36 Error".  The error guide for iTunes isn't helpful on this one.

After a lot more investigation I realized the transfer consistently failed at the 6GB mark (or thereabouts).  I figured the iPod was bad and took it back to Best Buy for exchange. (BTW, I have to give props to Best Buy for a no-hassle exchange policy).

New iPod in hand, I tried the process again and *again* had the same problem. It wasn't the iPod, so I'll try the cable.  Here's what's interesting: I didn't change one thing between my 3rd generation iPod and my 4th generation iPod, so you'd think everything would be fine.  I used a USB cable to connect to my computer for the last year and never had an issue.

A lot of research on the iPod Lounge and other sites led to one clear conclusion.  Apple 4th Generation iPods (specifically the larger ones) have trouble connecting via USB cables to Windows XP.  This yields ambiguous "-36 errors" on iTunes and funky red X errors on Media Center.

I switched to using firewire instead of USB...viola!  It works!!

So here's a lesson to everyone who's got a new 4th generation iPod, using the 11/15/04 iPod update and connecting to Windows XP through USB--expect trouble.

Use firewire instead and you'll be just fine.

Thanks for your time and a great product, Steve.  Sorry to hassle you with the issue.  Those "no dialog" red X warnings are vexxing, though.  Maybe you could name them something like "Ambiguous Connection Error" just to make it easier to search the forums.

Keep upg the great work and great product.

Kevin
Pages: [1]   Go Up