INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is an "Album Artist"?  (Read 1917 times)

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
What is an "Album Artist"?
« on: October 20, 2002, 10:33:25 am »

In the tag editor there is a field called "Album Artist". What is this used for? Is this where I would put "Various Artists" for a compilation album if I wanted the actual artist to appear in the "Artist" field?

michel

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: What is an "Album Artist"?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2002, 11:36:47 am »

It seems "album artist" concept doesn't exist anymore in MJ9.

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2002, 12:53:50 am »

Hello,

Yes this is where you'd put "various folks" for an album with different artists but I think it goes a bit beyond that.
For example in my library I have the famous 2 cd set of the concert "tribute to Bob Dylan" by various artists and the "Zim" himself. What I put in the album artist field is simply "Bob Dylan" so that this tribute album appears under 'Bob Dylan' in the artist/album view scheme. Because for a tribute album I prefer to find it under the artist name than under the anonymous 'Various artist' and I also like to have each track artist with the name of the actual performer. Like album='Tribute to Bob' artist='George Harrison' Album Artist='Bob Dylan'..

In fact the Artist/Album view scheme is in reality an 'album artist'/artist view.

I'm quite happy with this field and if it happens to dissapear in MJ9 I hope it is replaced by another mechanism for 'various folks' albums.

have a nice day.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

michel

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2002, 01:08:54 am »

I'm quite happy with this field and if it happens to dissapear in MJ9 I hope it is replaced by another mechanism for 'various folks' albums.

I understand it disappears as a "standard field" (are there "standard" fields though ?) but you are free to add it as a custom field.

Am I right ?

Of course, MJ9 has to be able to import (or convert) this field from MJ8, as for custom_i fields.

Possible bug: MJ9 doesn't see my custom1, 2, 3 fields when I import my audio tracks even if I try to create custom fields with these names.

Cmagic

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2002, 02:08:16 am »

Hi michel,

fait t-il beau à Grenoble ? ;)

Bob Marley (War)

michel

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2002, 03:45:46 am »

Ce we oui, aujourd'hui non !

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2002, 04:28:30 am »

Is there a seperate interact area for those that don't want to speak English?

jgourd,
The Album Artist field is for just that...  The Album's Artist.  If a compilation disk, then Album Artist would be Various.  I go a little further and label it "Various Artist" for compilation discs,  " Movie Soundtrack" for Sound tracks, and "Tributes" for Tribute albums.  
JRiver Media Center... If you don't have it, I don't want to hear it!

Cmagic

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2002, 05:19:33 am »

Sorry Chico,

Just found a hometown buddy on the interact and wanted to say hello in our hometown dialect !

(was just asking how was the weather like) :)

thank you michel.
Bob Marley (War)

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2002, 05:36:19 am »

I understand it disappears as a "standard field" (are there "standard" fields though ?) but you are free to add it as a custom field

The problem is, MJ8 handles Album Artist quite cleverly. In a view scheme, you can set the first field to be Album Artist. If there is an Album Artist, MJ will use this, otherwise it will use the Artist. That means the top level will show all your artists who have whole albums, and "various", "soundtrack", "Cafe del Mar" etc. for compilation albums.

Is there a way to get this behaviour in MJ9?

NoCodeUK

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2002, 06:36:52 am »

The Album Artist field has been replaced in MJ9 with the Auto Artist field which should be able to work out automatically whether the album is a compilation and whether or not it is complete.  Problem is I dont think you can now change it to say movie soundtrack or TV themes or whatever.  I will check tonight when I get home and post my findings...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2002, 11:44:09 am »

I certainly hope Album Artist is not going away in MJ9, as there are many albums by dj's and mixers, such as Sasha, John Digweed, ATB, BT, Dave Seaman, Nick Warren and many many more.  In fact I noticed recently after ripping many of their albums the Artist field has the true original Artist and so the dj/mixer name is getting lost so am having to add it manually in the Album Artist field.
Pages: [1]   Go Up