INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to synch with iPod and it pegs the processor????  (Read 2110 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
Trying to synch with iPod and it pegs the processor????
« on: January 11, 2005, 03:24:51 pm »

I'm trying to restore my iPod, at an internet cafe that will close soon.

When I select synchronize all songs, MC pegs the processor at 98-99% for almost 30 minutes now.  I have NOT told it to transfer songs, simply selected all songs via the box.

I can't really afford to wait much longer, any ideas?  Is this a bug, or did I do something wrong, or do I just need to wait?

Thanks.

Also, I posted in another topic about my iPod not recognizing the songs on it.  If you can help with that too, I would REALLY REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks again.
pretend this is something funny

SteveG

Re: Trying to synch with iPod and it pegs the processor????
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 05:15:48 pm »

Justin,

I am just seeing these posts now and must go for the day. I will post in detail tomorrow.

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 09:56:35 am »

Justin,

You proabably have the option to 'sync data to pc' checked and during that time, MC is updating the tags in the MC files from iPod.

Steve

wizbang

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 02:13:58 pm »

Steve,

What does the "sync data to pc" option do? Does it check every file on the iPod to see if there have been any changes and then transfer them across?

If so, this will also explain why MC pegs my processor (99% usage) for 3-5mins every time I plug it in.

I've left my iPod at work today, so I can't give it a try without the option set  >:(

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 03:08:36 pm »

'sync data to pc' compares data on the last played, number of plays and rating information on the iPod to what is in MC and if the information on iPod has changed since the last sync, MC is updated.  If you are seeing the heavy processor usage without synching, this comes from when you first connect or click on iPod, MC gathers all the information from iPod about its files and indexes it for a variety of uses during the connection process.

Steve

wizbang

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 02:54:36 pm »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the explanation.

Release 174 seems to be much more responsive  :) I still get about 20 seconds of 100% CPU at the start of synchronisation, but I'm not getting the 100% during the sync like i used to with the 16x releases.

I don't remember version 10 having any of the CPU bound issues though. Why should version 11 be som much more processor intensive during a sync?

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 05:48:58 pm »

Its alot smarter about comparing files between the iPod and MC. Do you get the 20 second delay each time you select 'Synchronization' even if you close the action windowbefore doing the transfer  and do not complete the sync?

Steve

wizbang

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 02:51:30 pm »

No. Only the first time. Subesquent times are a lot faster. Release 174 definitely seems to have fixed a few issues for me  :)

wizbang

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 02:55:30 pm »

BTW "Eject iPod" seems to have stopped working in this release (174).

When I select "Eject iPod" the right hand window updates and redisplays the song list and the tree view looses its Albums, Genres etc. under the iPod branch, but the iPod is still mounted and has not been ejected.

Subsequent ejects just redraw the right hand window with the songlist, but do not eject.

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 03:02:21 pm »

wizbang,

Does the iPod screen change to the checkmark with the 'Safe to remove' after selecting 'Eject'? If it does, then when you unplug the iPod the tree should fully refresh.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up