INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP3 file problems with MC10  (Read 3789 times)

neverthesame

• Recent member
MP3 file problems with MC10
« on: January 08, 2005, 11:30:06 am »

I am currently having problems correctly importing MP3 files. When importing no artist/album/genre/track info is imported. Window's media player is able to correctly read the tag info for these files so it is not clear to me that there is anything wrong with the files.

Also when I attempt to update the files with the correct tag info, the complete mp3 file is replaced with a worthless 2-3K file.

It is fair to say that these problems are making managing my MP3 library with MC10 a bit difficult.

Your support on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

neverthesame

• Recent member
Re: MP3 file problems with MC10
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 11:33:21 am »

one other item. I am using a win98SE computer. If this helps.

Thanks again,

Doug

neverthesame

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 09:52:38 pm »

I still have a significant support issue that I have posted on the forum with no responses. There seems to be a bug with MC10.0.173 support for mp3. I am unable to import any of the ID3.v2 tags for Genre, artist,album, track# or name.  These same files can be imported into MS media player with no problems. If I attempt to update the tags, then the file gets deleted and replaced with a worthless file. 

I am using windows 98SE with a linux Samba network drive. I had no problems with this exact same configuration with media jukebox version 8.

No other programs are running on the computer

Your urgent support would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Doug

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 10:37:12 pm »

I think the folks at JRiver are probably busy playing with all the goodies they picked up at the CES show over the weekend! ;D

Hopefully, they will be back in full force on tuesday.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

neverthesame

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 04:13:08 pm »

HELLO,

Does anyone work here.
Rolf_Eigenheer posted a similar problem on the forum on January 2nd:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=23736.0

and there has been no response. I have been waiting for several days and still nothing.

This problem is preventing the use of the product and forcing me to consider alternative vendors.

Best regerds,

Doug

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 07:23:57 am »

Doug,
If you need to raise an issue again, please bump your thread by adding a reply to it.  If you don't get a reply it often means that nobody knows.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 08:08:42 am »

...I am unable to import any of the ID3.v2 tags for Genre, artist,album, track# or name. These same files can be imported into MS media player with no problems. If I attempt to update the tags, then the file gets deleted and replaced with a worthless file.

I am using windows 98SE with a linux Samba network drive. I had no problems with this exact same configuration with media jukebox version 8....

Also more information is needed. For example:

- Do you mean any mp3 files or some certain files? Do the files have anything in common?
- Does it work if you import from a local HD?
- What happens if you rip new mp3 files with MC10?
- Is it possible to try the same with another PC?
- What about other file formats, do they work?
- Have you tried to change tag writing options in Tools > Plug-in manager > MP3 Plug-in > Configure?
- Did you upgrade directly from MJ 8 to MC 10.0.173 or did you use other versions? Did they work? How did you upgrade? Did you import your old library? Does it work?

Anything relevant might help to isolate your problem. You could also paste your system info from the MC Help menu here.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 08:29:02 am »

Please send a sample MP3 to matt @ jriver.com

It's possible there's something unique about how they're tagged that MC isn't handling.

Thanks for helping.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 10:15:49 am »

I still have a significant support issue that I have posted on the forum with no responses. There seems to be a bug with MC10.0.173 support for mp3. I am unable to import any of the ID3.v2 tags for Genre, artist,album, track# or name.  These same files can be imported into MS media player with no problems. If I attempt to update the tags, then the file gets deleted and replaced with a worthless file. 

Doug

This is the part that stumps me, i have had those worthless files with the ~ created but never had the original dissapear using MC10.173.

Never had MC "dissapear" files accidently ever.

neverthesame

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 12:48:11 pm »

Hello again,

Additional file management info:
- Previously with MJ8 I was able to update the files from the tags and move/rename files accordingly within MJ8.  If I now attempt to do this, MC10 updates the database, but doesn't move the files. As a result, MC10 is unable to locate these files. With the exact same computer & configuration, this was never an issue with MJ8

Answers to your questions:
- Do you mean any mp3 files or some certain files? Do the files have anything in common? - Does it work if you import from a local HD?
 <Doug> It seems to be associated with MP3 files that were ripped using ITunes. These files can be loaded into MS Media Player with no issues and when they are imported locally the tags are correctly imported.  Sample file has been sent to Matt.

- Is it possible to try the same with another PC?
 <Doug> Exact same problem. Works locally, but not on network drive.  MS Media Player and tag reading sw has no issues. Only Media Center.

- What about other file formats, do they work?
 <Doug> I only use MP3 files

- Have you tried to change tag writing options in Tools > Plug-in manager > MP3 Plug-in > Configure?
 <Doug> Not yet, but it is not clear to me why changing the writing of tags would have anything to do with importing tags.
- Did you upgrade directly from MJ 8 to MC 10.0.173 or did you use other versions? Did they work? How did you upgrade? Did you import your old library? Does it work?
 <Doug> Yes, I upgraded directly from MJ8 to MC10. I only started to import MP3 files written from ITunes after the upgrade.

Anything relevant might help to isolate your problem. You could also paste your system info from the MC Help menu here.

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
Uptime: 0:00:19:08
Normal mode
TAIS
GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
160MB RAM
75% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (808MB free)
Available space on drive C: 808MB of 3902MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive D: 43262MB of 115950MB (NTFS)

Best regards,

Doug

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 02:13:29 pm »

It seems to be associated with MP3 files that were ripped using ITunes. These files can be loaded into MS Media Player with no issues and when they are imported locally the tags are correctly imported. Sample file has been sent to Matt.
Lets see what Matt finds.

Works locally, but not on network drive.
That is strange. As far as I know MC handles files through OS and should not see any difference.

I only use MP3 files
If MP3 files encoded with MC are OK it is unnessary to try other formats.

Not yet, but it is not clear to me why changing the writing of tags would have anything to do with importing tags.
Perhaps nothing, but I got the impression that you can't save any tags to any MP3 files.

Yes, I upgraded directly from MJ8 to MC10. I only started to import MP3 files written from ITunes after the upgrade.
I suppose that you have old files from MJ8 and they work OK. Correct? How about new files if you encode with MC10?

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
Uptime: 0:00:19:08
Normal mode
TAIS
GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
160MB RAM
75% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (808MB free)
Available space on drive C: 808MB of 3902MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive D: 43262MB of 115950MB (NTFS)
So you have an NTFS partition. Is it possible to test this with your other OS?

In my opinion it is obvious that ID3 tags generated in iTunes include something that is misinterpreted somehow when they are read through Linux/Samba network. Possibly also W98SE has something to do with that.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 02:43:20 pm »

Since the files work fine off the local drive, but not off the Samba server, it makes me think there's a Samba configuration problem.  MC is using the same file API calls in both cases.

ID3v2 tags (and the file you sent) are working on our local Samba server.

I'm almost sure someone else had a similar issue a long time ago and ended up finding a problem with their Samba configuration.  Unfortunately I can't remember what the deal was.

Does any one else have any clues?

Thanks.

neverthesame

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 03:42:19 pm »

One point of clarification on the Samba server. I can import non ITunes MP3 files correctly, tags and all and I can play the ITunes encoded files with MC10.

Best regards,

Doug

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 03:46:07 pm »

The problem is only with ID3v2 tags.  For ID3v2 tagging, we talk to the file using the short filenames for improved Unicode support. (the standard v2 tagging library isn't unicode friendly)

Maybe Samba doesn't handle long and short versions of filenames the same as Windows?

neverthesame

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 04:04:45 pm »

For the tag issue, how do you recommend I proceed?

What about the issue of not renaming files correctly based upon the tags. This is a problem for both local and nedwork drives.

Best regards,

Doug

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2005, 04:07:30 pm »

MC10 and MC11 have both problems with MP3 files located on a Linux Server.
While importing, only V1 Tags were imported.
This has been tested from 3 client PCs

MC9 running on the same PCs has NO problem importing the V2 tags of the MP3 files which failed with MC10/11.

Also any other Media Player  (Real, MS, etc) and also the File Property Box of Win XP can read the V2 tags.

After copying these files to a local drive, the V2 tags can also  be imported with MC10/11

Rolf

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2005, 04:11:22 pm »

Please test the MP3 plugin here and let us know if it's any better: (install using Plugin Manager inside of Media Center)
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/tmp/in_mp3.dll

Thanks.

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2005, 04:35:15 pm »

Hi Matt

This did not help. But while testing I found something interesting.

The files which failed while importing, can be read correct, when dragging them with the mouse from explorer directly into the playing now list!

Rolf

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2005, 04:38:21 pm »

Hi Matt

This did not help. But while testing I found something interesting.

The files which failed while importing, can be read correct, when dragging them with the mouse from explorer directly into the playing now list!

Rolf

Use Library Tools > Update Library (from tags) on the blank files and see if the new plugin fills the information in.

Also, can you give a sample path and filename for one of the files.

Thanks.

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2005, 04:53:31 pm »

Oooops

mayby I was too fast.

After imprting the MP3 files, the view was set for images. so I couldn't see the other fields.
Now I tried again. ll fields have been imported.

Tomorrow I'll make some more tests. with this DLL

Rolf 

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2005, 06:59:23 pm »

The problem is only with ID3v2 tags.  For ID3v2 tagging, we talk to the file using the short filenames for improved Unicode support. (the standard v2 tagging library isn't unicode friendly)

Maybe Samba doesn't handle long and short versions of filenames the same as Windows?

Actually also Windows 95/98/ME and NT/2000/XP handle the short names a bit differently.
Here is one explanation: http://kb.indiana.edu/data/acyu.html?cust=3338970.5784.131.

In Samba the process is called "name mangling" and it has several configuration options.
http://freebooks.by.ru/view/SambaIn24h/ch07-05.htm
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/ch05.html

Doug,

Could you try this:

Copy a few problem files to a local folder. Rename them like this: 1.mp3, 2.mp3, etc. Map a network share to Windows and give it a new drive letter. Make a new folder on that drive and give the folder a short name, e.g. "123". Copy the MP3 files to that folder with Windows Explorer. The whole filename path will be something like x:\123\1.mp3.

Import the files to MC. Is there any difference?

neverthesame

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2005, 07:04:58 pm »

Matt,

Your updated plug in seems to be working.

Thanks,

Doug

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2005, 02:06:10 am »

I succesfully imported 426 MP3 (2.3GB total) with this updated IN_MP3.DLL.  :)

It took 7 Minutes. This is not that fast as MC9. But it worked.  I heard drive activities after every file imported. The files itself were on a write protected network drive.

Rolf
Pages: [1]   Go Up