INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld problems with MC 11.0.235 Beta Available  (Read 3849 times)

lOth

• Citizen of the Universe
Handheld problems with MC 11.0.235 Beta Available
« on: April 11, 2005, 06:11:00 pm »

my custom toolbars are gone again with this build.

2. Fixed: Portable Action Window progress would not auto close after transfer.
3. Fixed: During auto sync, data from a portable would not be synced to PC.

Yes and Yes.

4. Fixed; Delete unselected portables option.
If you're talking about the 'delete unselected files during synchronization' option, no, it's still broken.

In addition, the problem of erratic playcount increase when the 'sync data' option is checked that I described there : http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=26997.0 is still here in this build. It seems to be linked to some cache that's not cleared when it should since the playcount won't increase if you close and re-run MC before syncing.

lOth

Re: Handheld problems with MC 11.0.235 Beta Available
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 06:25:43 pm »

If you're talking about the 'delete unselected files during synchronization' option, no, it's still broken.

Actually, it worked once I have closed MC, restarted it, and synced.

As with the playcount incrementing problem I described it seems that some options don't work properly for me unless I close MC before syncing. I'm now wondering if it's not coming from my iPod. I'll renitialize it, retry and let you know if it's fixed.

ahbrown41

• World Citizen
  • Music is good
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 06:45:48 pm »

Now 11.0.235 appears to not auto-sync at all.  Is it disabled again?

lOth

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 07:04:49 pm »

So... I re-initialized the iPod, updated a few files and tried a few syncs.

4. Fixed; Delete unselected portables option.

this is now working for me.

But the playcount increment problem is still here, still happening on each sync until I restart MC.

In addition, I've noticed some files are still skipping. Here's an example:

D:\music\Favorites\iPod G\Various\The Beatles - I Want To Hold Your Hand.mp3

Now 11.0.25 appears to not auto-sync at all.  Is it disabled again?

This one works for me.

ahbrown41

• World Citizen
  • Music is good
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 07:37:20 pm »

Hmmm well for some reason Auto-Sync does not work for the Rio Karma.  I can still send files to the Karma but no "Auto Sync".
I restarted the computer and the Karma to be sure.  The last build started the process but crashed.  This one never starts.

Thanks

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 12:57:18 am »

Steve,

Sadly the following files from my Test Playlist are still skipping on my Ipod 60GB Photo with this build:-

E:\MP3s\Bobby_Blue_Bland\After All\Walkin' And Talkin' And Singin' The Blues.mp3
E:\MP3s\Uniques\Best Of\The Beatitude (Blessed Are The Meek).mp3

I'm not getting the "synching info to MC" info window but "number played" field is being amended - but it seems to be flaky. Most of the songs went up by a count of one but 1 track went from 1 to 11 and another from 2 to 9. Also I can confirm 10th's issue that the playcount rises each time you synch even if no songs have been played until MC is closed and restarted.

John.

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 01:04:12 am »

Also the files that skipped show a "-48.40" figure in the "last played" field and numbers of "10" and "7" in the "number plays" field.

lOth

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 09:21:08 am »

Also the files that skipped show a "-48.40" figure in the "last played" field and numbers of "10" and "7" in the "number plays" field.

Sorry to hear that, but I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one seeing these issues. I think that the long filename, last played and number plays issues are show-stoppers as far as iPod transfer in MC goes.

But the playcount increment problem is still here, still happening on each sync until I restart MC.

To stop the problem, instead of closing, re-starting MC, you can also eject and plug the iPod back in without closing MC. The following sync will be normal (no erratic play number increase).

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 11:19:50 am »

In regards to the skipping files, for any file that skips, look at the full path of the file on iPod. It should never exceed 50 characters and should be accurate.

E:\MP3s\Bobby_Blue_Bland\After All\Walkin' And Talkin' And Singin' The Blues.mp3

These are not valid iPod paths. Please look at the paths for these files on the iPod.

This also is an invalid path for two reasons. It is not an valid iPod path and it appears to be the concatination of two file paths.

Steve

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 11:57:35 am »

Steve,

Sorry didn't relaise that when you wrote about looking in Windows Explorer you meant on the Ipod.

Just initialized again and transferred my Test playlist. These 2 tracks skipped again as they always have. These are the paths:-

I:\iPod_Control\Music\F06\The Beatitude (Blessed Are The Meek).mp3
I:\iPod_Control\Music\F17\Walkin’ And Talkin’ And Singin’ The Blues.mp3

Hope this is useful.

John.

lOth

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 12:49:01 pm »

it appears to be the concatination of two file paths.

I've no idea what you mean by that. I just copied and paste the filename of this song that wouldn't play on the iPod as it appears in MC's library.

Here's the filename on the iPod:

F:\iPod_Control\Music\F01\The Beatles - I Want To Hold Your Hand.mp3

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 01:09:50 pm »

For test purposes, can you eliminate the special characters in the file names?  Characters like (,),and ' always make me wonder.  Ideally MC, XP, and iPod should all handle them, but the world is a funny place.  I still have trouble putting a space in a file name.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 01:11:26 pm »

I've no idea what you mean by that. I just copied and paste the filename of this song that wouldn't play on the iPod as it appears in MC's library.
Steve may have mis-read this:

as this:
D:\music\Favorites\iPod G:\Various\The Beatles - I Want To Hold Your Hand.mp3

lOth

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 01:59:35 pm »

Steve may have mis-read this

I get it now. Yes, he did mis-read it.

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 03:32:14 pm »

For test purposes, can you eliminate the special characters in the file names?  Characters like (,),and ' always make me wonder.  Ideally MC, XP, and iPod should all handle them, but the world is a funny place.  I still have trouble putting a space in a file name.

Yes I know what you mean. Steve tried this before but told me he didn't think this was the issue.

I've changed the file names to take out all the "foreign" characters and they still skip - even after initializing the Ipod again. I'm pretty certain this is a file name length problem not a strange character one.

John

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2005, 12:56:56 pm »

MC is analyzing all files on ipod on every sync(even if I don't close MC or disconnect iPod between sync).

The message on the lower status-bar should be "transfering files.." and not just "starting transfer.." during autosync.   

The autosync transfer the files but does not update the database like it should, i can not find files without "rebuild the database from ipod" after every sync.

Its also kind of strange that even with autosync, it still pops up "device connected" and you have to decide if its a camera or handheld player. Even if MC have found my ipod and is transfering files to it.
Both camera and handheld is on the default "action window" so this step is not really needed?
I would really like to have autosync just connect sync and disconnect, without bothering me.

The autosync should also sync without MC running, start mc and then sync.

SteveG

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 05:11:34 pm »

IOth and John,

Files will not play on iPod if the file path is over 50 characters. Do not worry about foreign characters anymore. If you have a path on iPod over 50 characters, it is a file that was transferred a few versions ago. Delete the files and resend them.

Not sure how I misread this. Let's drop it.

Runemaill,

Lets pursue this again with the next build. If you can, try wiping your iPod clean (via right click 'Initialize' ) that would be good. In regards to your request for changes to auto-sync, these might be added. Your other requests are not in tonight's build but I think the analyzing will go away after the intialize.

Steve

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 02:08:01 am »

Steve,

I'm VERY pleased to say that after another initialisation of my Ipod photo I transferred 5 files with long names and they played through fine.

Thanks very much for cracking this one.

Pushing my luck I'm transferring all my tracks to the Ipod now and will test the "synch data to MC" routines and report back.

John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up