INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If you've used MC11 and MC10, which one would you now recommend to a friend?

MC 11
- 69 (75.8%)
MC 10
- 16 (17.6%)
Neither
- 6 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: Which MC would you recommend?  (Read 4561 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
POLL: Which MC would you recommend?
« on: April 07, 2005, 06:48:07 pm »

It's getting close to time to release MC11.  If you've used both MC10 and a recent version of MC11, it would help to have your opinion.

Thanks.

lOth

Re: Which MC would you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 03:55:31 am »

as far as functionality and features go, I'd say 11. But if minor bugs is an issue, I'd stick to 10 at this point.

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 06:08:23 am »

MC11 if bugs are fixed (theater view etc.)
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 06:26:26 am »

Both versions could satisfy a newcomer. At first sight they look quite similar. Besides the nice new things MC11 has about everything from MC10 included.

I voted MC11 partly for selfish reasons. Most likely my friend will need some help later. For me it would be easier to answer to MC11 questions. I don't use MC10 anymore.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

dcwebman

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 08:39:10 am »

I don't use most of the extra features of 11 but I can't get by without the speed of tagging in 11. I'd have to say 11 then but like a couple others said, if the bugs were fixed, or at least the things that used to work that now fail.
Jeff

ChicoSelfs

Re: POLL: Which MC would you recommend?
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 05:32:14 pm »

I would recomend MC11 because is the more updated, i'm here from the V7 and V11 is the best so far, keep with the good work  ;D
Made in Portugal

Bendra

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 06:48:03 pm »

As a low-end user who is here primarily for the playlist creation and management capabilities, I don't seem to have a compelling reason to make the change.  Speed...well, there's that.  But I don't get the sense that MC11, for the mass market user and not the technophile, makes much of a difference.  I did not feel that way when moving from MC9 to MC10. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 06:56:12 pm »

I don't get the sense that MC11, for the mass market user and not the technophile, makes much of a difference. 
Bendra,
Have you used both?  I'm trying to understand what people who've used both versions recently believe.

Everyone,
Thanks for the feedback.  It's very helpful.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 09:29:18 pm »

Used MC10 for a short period of time, but doesn't matter, MC11 wins hands nice. Does everything I need and then some.

I have 640 albums all with album art divided into genres and can be searched by artist or year. I also have a smartlist for my last 60 imported albums.

I haven't tried to sync to my Zen Extra yet but I will.

Thanks
TC

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 09:40:37 pm »

MC11 for shizzle.

Reasons why MC11 is better than 10.
Album Gain, Split Views, Thumbnail resizing, multithreading capabilities, auto pane sizing.

that does not mean MC 11 is perfect or even close but it is better than 10 and I don't think there would be any negative things about it that 10 doesn't have unlessthe problem applies to the new features.

"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

sdgrizdan

• Galactic Citizen
  • The body cannot live without the mind
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2005, 12:16:49 am »

Media Center 11 has everything version 10 has and more! I love MC 11's features and unparallel power. Beats any other media program hands down.

As for the bugs, I do not see what everyone is talking about. Bugs in MC 11 are minimal at most, and a far improvement from the bugs in MC 10.

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2005, 01:38:56 am »

Only after using Windows Media Player yesterday for the first time did I really appreciate how good MC10/11 are.

Synching to external folders is my reason for using 11 over 10, otherwise 10 is fine.

Great work and fantastic value. A real big plus is Interact. No other s/w I use has this level of community and support.

The quality of  the community that has arisen out of MC says more about the product than any review ever could.

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2005, 12:30:01 pm »

MC 11.

No contest for me if you are buying for the first time. Its the one being developed and updated by the developers. The changes since v10 are genuine improvements. You can bet that Matt is still scratching his head over possible bugs in v11 and nailing them down. You can expect further improvements in reliability (but it aint fallen over yet for me). You get the Library browser. You can hope that v11 revenue will power all the great things coming in v12.

Bottom line: v11 is stable enough (in my experience). Its does more stuff than v10, and is no more difficult for the new user than v10. Its the one to recommend to a newcomer to MC. More bang for your buck.

PS Talk of v11 closure has increased the frequency of my 'Hey wouldnt it be great if v12 did X' moments already. Must... remain... realistic...

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2005, 03:46:50 pm »

MC11 is not perfect, But better than MC10, even more if you have a large Library.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2005, 05:07:41 pm »

....and I don't think there would be any negative things about it that 10 doesn't have unlessthe problem applies to the new features.

Exactly, having noticed the development of builds since v9. I have to say the odd versions are where the new features get added. The even ones are where they get .....well...evened out.

I wish each build evened out the features that were introduced, but then we'd get half the amount of new features which i bet no one wants. Hey compared to the glacial rate at which Apple or M$ does things, it's not so bad.

I'd stick with even build numbers if stability and smooth sailing is a deciding factor ;) ..even if it means 2 yrs between upgrades  :'(

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2005, 05:58:36 am »

The new Import Media functionality alone is worth the price of admission. A real timesaver.

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2005, 12:44:00 pm »

I would use MC 11 if the issue with Library Server and non-english filename would work. I've got a lot of songs filename in Chinese Big 5 and they can't play over Library Server. I am still stuck with Media Server in MC 10 in the end. =/
Don't Panic!

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2005, 04:52:34 pm »

Yes MC11 is the way to go. Few fixes still needed in Theater View and basic functionality in Theater View such as ON SCREEN DISPLAY of Volume Changes.

Also, support for Video is disappointing.

modelmaker

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2005, 02:49:59 pm »

I've been trying  MC11 the past few days after 2+ very satisfying years  with MC9.0.

MC11 is very impressive. Love the Library Browser (but it needs a button in the toolbar).

However I can't give it a thumbs up until two issues that I think are essential to a multimedia program are resolved:

-Getting the ATI remote to work
-Getting multimedia keyboards to work.

Those other nameless programs have made them work, (and the remote worked in v9x), so I don't understand why this is such a problem for J River & MC.

I think this really should be a high prioriy as it is an integral part of making the HTPC experience an enjoyable experience.

I don't see why I should have to get into Pocket PCs or other expensive devices or drag my wireless keyboard & mouse around in order to operate the media remotely.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2005, 08:23:20 pm »

Theater view  MC10

Std. view  MC11

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2005, 12:31:00 am »

Library Browser and Import directories are for me the major advantages.

modelmaker

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2005, 05:12:40 am »

I have been looking for Library Server, but all I can find is Media Server. Am I missing something?
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2005, 05:19:05 am »

I have been looking for Library Server, but all I can find is Media Server. Am I missing something?

It's a long story. Better that you read it from here: Re: MC11 Instructions (temporary) - Library Server.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

coolblue

• World Citizen
  • "You're soaking in it!"
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2005, 06:50:16 am »

i goofed. i clicked MC10 when I meant MC11, so please shift my vote over...

I rarely use Media Center as anything but a music jukebox but I appreciate its capabilities in that respect. iTunes is faster but at the cost of using way more memory (it grabs over 100MB to load my ~45000 tune library). In order to use the full capabilities of MC (for video especially) I'd have to spend a lot more time in front of my computer than I do now or would ever want to!
Pages: [1]   Go Up