~

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Q: re. .m3u playlist files...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 07:48:13 am »

Marko,
I'm not sure.  Maybe you could write a very short description for the bug thread and then link to this thread.

Thanks,

Jim

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: MC11: Importing m3u playlist files...
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 03:51:08 am »

You've found the same behavior I've always encountered with importing from XML (i.e. an MPL)...  it won't update any field information if the item is already in the library.  It would be useful if MC someday gained the ability to import for information for existing items culled from other locations.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 08:07:03 am »

M3Us seems to be a grey area for me. Since using MC i found i had almost no use for them at all. I usually browse by album in the panes, or do a search for tracks then just select and add to playing now. Where as in the winamp days, i would use windows explorer and dbl click the m3u's to play the album.

Most of the albums i import have m3u files, which gets automatically added to the imported playlists in the tree. But that list is so long i never use it.

I was thinking of creating some best of playlists for various artists and series, and am thinking about using playlists. But i'm not sure where they should be stored. By stored i mean accessible in an easy way from MC. I could create a subfolder within the tree but this would get unwieldy after some time.

chrisjj

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 10:34:30 am »

Currently, the only way to correctly import m3u files that contain "already imported" files is to drag from explorer and drop on MC's tree.

Doesn't work for me  (.310) - it gives duplicates of any files already in the library. Or should one consider this "correct"?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 03:33:41 pm »

You've found the same behavior I've always encountered with importing from XML (i.e. an MPL)... it won't update any field information if the item is already in the library. It would be useful if MC someday gained the ability to import for information for existing items culled from other locations.

True. MPL files cannot be used for updating the file info. The previously imported library entries must be first cleared from the library. Then mpl files will correctly populate all fields except the Date Imported. I consider the last thing as a bug. MC does not fully trust the mpl info. Instead it unnecessarily scans the files and imports them as new library entries. MC should have a quick "merge" mode for mpl importing. Also, MC cannot import mpl files if they are big (about 20.000 items or more). I have reported these bugs a couple of times.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 09:43:15 pm »

I've been having a lot of difficulty importing a few old M3U files that I created a while back using another application for the past 40 minutes or so.  I think I might have just figured it out, but because MC is so touchy with M3U files (and how it decides to, or not to import files) WEIRD with them, and it gives no feedback about what's happening at all, it took me 40+ minutes to figure it out (and reading this thread)  I've seen other postings on this here so I know I'm not alone.

Is there any progress being made on this?  In my opinion, when you double-click, import, play, browse to, drag and drop, it should ALWAYS add the playlist to the tree, populate the playlist with the files (regardless of in/not-in library status), import the necessary files (if any), and optionally play the list (if double clicked or played for example).  It should also give some feedback if some files can't be imported because they are missing (or broken or whatever).  Its the way every other media player I've used handles them, and seems pretty intuitive.

Not trying to be a pain on this (since I just ran into the problem recently), but why is this a problem?  Do some people have a preference for the current weird system, or have we just not gotten to fixing this yet?  It is annoying...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 09:52:13 am »

I've had trouble with m3u playlists as well, trying to play them streaming over the internet.

see:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=26218.0

At that time it was not a priority to be looked at so I have stopped asking.

New Vermaje

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 07:20:25 am »

Sorry, but MC11 can not import files *.m3u !

I have read your "text" and i have tested, but no import !

=> error :

12:38:16: Import: Process: Starting import (JRiver Media Center 11.0.314 (registered))
12:38:16: Import: GetSearchFolderList: Start
12:38:16: Import: GetSearchFolderList: Include: C:\My Music\ZZListes\Passion de Jean (JS Bach).m3u
12:38:16: Import: GetSearchFolderList: Exclude: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrateur\Application Data\J River\Media Center 11\Thumbnails\{80594288-317F-4F1D-B2BF-8CBBC00909FB}\
12:38:16: Import: GetSearchFolderList: Finish (78 ms)
12:38:16: Import: GetNewFiles: Start
12:38:16: Import: AddFile: Found: C:\My Music\ZZListes\Passion de Jean (JS Bach).m3u
12:38:16: Import: GetNewFiles: Finish (250 ms)
12:38:16: Import: ImportNewFiles: Start
12:38:16: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: C:\My Music\ZZListes\Passion de Jean (JS Bach).m3u
12:38:16: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add  :-\ :-[ :( >:( :'( ?
12:38:16: Import: ImportNewFiles: Finish (31 ms)
12:38:16: Import: Process: Finish (375 ms)

Jean-Marc
Pages: [1]   Go Up