INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Your Music Library Extra-Large?  (Read 5221 times)

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
  • Absence of alternatives clears the mind nicely.
Is Your Music Library Extra-Large?
« on: January 17, 2005, 09:04:45 pm »

The topic of music library size came up today. It got me thinking about how much music we're starting to amass and how we classify small/large/monster databases.

Playing with the idea:
-Commercial music
-Average album size approx 10 songs
-Average album price $10 US (counting used)
-Average song length a bit over 4 minutes
-1,000 songs = around 3 days of music without repeats

Size    Songs     Duration      Albums  Est. Val
------------------------------------------------
Sm      0 - 1K       0-3 d     100 CD's   $1,000
Med     1 - 5K      3-15 d     500 CD's   $5,000
Lg      5 - 20K    15-60 d   2,000 CD's  $20,000
X-Lg   20 - 120K  60-360 d  12,000 CD's $120,000
Monster  120K+      Year+      Wow          ?!?

Thoughts?

The Illest Villain

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Is Your Music Library Extra-Large?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 10:35:55 pm »

MC says i have 54,3 days of music.

the illest villain

himini

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 02:13:10 am »

46.2 Days (14,257 songs) here.  Only a "large." :(
MC 11 registered
Win XP SP 1a
Samsung 352B combo drive
Sony DRU 510-A DVD burner

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 02:58:09 am »

152 days, 53 000 files. But pretty soon a couple of the bigger guys will crush me again, like the last time I was in a thread like this...
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Jaqqe

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 03:27:50 am »

I'm proud of my 20 000+ library, since I don't import all the music in the world there, only the songs I like.
Money... no, chocolate makes the world go round. Even here in Finland.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 05:49:16 am »

viewing it in media library it errors out with a -572192:53:42, but if i put it in playing now it tells me mine is 2.3 years (must be a bug).
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 05:59:23 am »

viewing it in media library it errors out with a -572192:53:42, but if i put it in playing now it tells me mine is 2.3 years (must be a bug).

=included a live recording from 1952-1954 of a famous US-Radio-Station in mono  ;)

linden_arden

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 08:27:28 am »

As I was saying on the other thread, I am at about 30,000, but that number keeps growing.  I am addicted to www.easytree.org, so I add about 100 songs a day it seems like.  I may have to curb that habit.  The 30k only includes my digital files at this point.  I've probably got another 10-20k on CDs (all live concerts) that I haven't gotten around to ripping.   I'm a "completist", so for some unatural reason I need everything ever recorded (commercially or otherwise) by my favorite artists.   It is only a matter of time before I hit 100k, but I don't say that with any pride.

Jaqqe

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 11:05:56 am »

I add about 100 songs a day
One might (and does) ask if you EVER listen to your collection or is it just for the sake of collecting songs ? And the fun in that is..?
Money... no, chocolate makes the world go round. Even here in Finland.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 11:22:27 am »

One might (and does) ask if you EVER listen to your collection or is it just for the sake of collecting songs ? And the fun in that is..?

when i get around to them, but not all of them
Fayetteville, NC, USA

linden_arden

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 11:27:13 am »

Well, like I said, I'm a 'completist'.  My collection is part entertainment, part historical music archive.  If its Dylan, Bruce, the Stones, Van, Jerry, or anything alt-country then I have to download it.  And there are so many bands I like with so much live stuff out there, that it is a constant process adding new music (I have a dedicated bittorrent computer).  I love the music and I love collecting it as well.  You may download a dozen shows that are snoozers, but it never fails that I come across performances that I listen to all the time.  

I def. make time to listen to a great deal of my collection.  I have a copy of my collection at work, listen there all day, and then listen a couple of hours give or take each night.   I've for mp3 CD in my car for my trip and I'm trying to get my full collection in the car via a carputer.  

I'm just a music nut.  I'm sure there are plenty of other folks like me lurking around here.  

bebop

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 11:49:31 am »

Mine currently says 52.7 Gb, 14,982 files, 37.5 days and I haven't finsihed putting all my stuff in!!!

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 12:33:51 pm »

I know you have the cool old time radio thing going, King, how much of your library is music?

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2005, 12:35:59 pm »

Mine currently says 52.7 Gb, 14,982 files, 37.5 days and I haven't finsihed putting all my stuff in!!!
52 GB for ~15K files? I'm surprised you're able to pack that many songs into that much space. What format are you using?

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2005, 12:41:37 pm »

I have around 17500 songs for a total of around 45 days (at work, so not sure of exact figures).

I have all but stopped adding to my collection, and have even started winnowing out stuff which I'll probably never listen to.

I just don't have the time to listen to what I've got, let alone continually add more stuff. I'm not gonna add stuff just for the sake of it, unlike a friend of mine, who acquires music constantly, yet barely listens to his existing stuff.

He doesn't seem to understand the concept of backing up his music either, so instead of using 1 of a pair of 80Gb drives to create a mirror backup of his music, continually adds stuff spread across both his disks. One day he will come to grief, expect me to help him pick up the pieces, but I will be laughing and saying "I told you so". I fear he has a disease called "music addiction", and accumulates more music like a sick junky, without appreciating what is already within the collection.
Cheers
Rob

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2005, 12:47:37 pm »

Quote from: LunchmeatVoom
I fear he has a disease called "music addiction", and accumulates more music like a sick junky, without appreciating what is already within the collection.
Oh, I know that disease. :)
Seriously, I have a great deal of music and listen regularly to only about 10% of it. The rest is family music, holiday music, or archival. I find that random mixes are more fun now that I have larger library.

bebop

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2005, 01:02:02 pm »

MP3VBR mainly because that's what my Nomad uses, and I haven't gotten around to re-ripping into lossless... ;D  And I listen to it constantly - on random! 

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2005, 02:23:37 pm »

I too know of that disease, but at least I'm an organized junkie...

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2005, 02:32:23 pm »

182,866 files - 12,443 albums - 843,5 GB - 1,4 years

All the files are carefully tagged, with rating, genre, year and cover art, apart from the obvious fields (Artist, Name, Album). Recently, I've started to adding lyrics using King's plug-in.

I listen to the music for a minimum of 8-10 hours a day.

My standard playlist is a group of 70 tracks (3 to 4 hours) with the following ingredients played randomly:

- 5 5-star songs
- 10 4-star songs
- 20 never played songs
- 10 songs imported less than a month ago
- 25 songs rated 3 or above

Once the group gets into playing now and before listening to it, I search for lyrics using King's plug-in. When the group is about to finish playing, a new set of songs is added to playing now and so on. I also manually add some songs to playing now when I feel so.

I still have some 3,000 CDs to rip and keep on addding new songs from paid subscription sites daily.

Only have music that I like or "think" I may like.

What's the fun of it? I love music and I also have the "disease"  ;)
Will I ever listen to all of it? I strongly hope not!  :)

----

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2005, 02:37:07 pm »

I know you have the cool old time radio thing going, King, how much of your library is music?

I have about 17,000 top 100 music mp3's

and about 130,000 of other music files not on the top 100, (also not loaded into MC) it makes it MC too slow.

60,000+ old time radio files

the 2.3 years is based on (17,000 music and 60,000 otr files)
Fayetteville, NC, USA

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2005, 02:41:12 pm »

MC reports:

27286 files (244.1 GB - 64.3 Years)

But then my "Deluxe Edition" of Who's Next is reported to be 257 mb and 64 years alone! (the only time i used mpc for some reason).

Anyway, its funny to hear those really young people reporting 30000+ songs. lets say you listen to one new album every day 7 days a week it would take 8 years before you have listened to all your songs, one time.

Simple

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2005, 03:04:15 pm »

...Anyway, its funny to hear those really young people reporting 30000+ songs...

Thanks, this was one of the finest compliments within the last few days....

5312 albums (70963 files - 371.4 GB - 206.9 days)

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2005, 04:00:30 pm »

age is relative ... 

I consider myself young, but not really young ;)

But my point was that collecting music doesnt necessary mean that you know music anymore.
In the old days having a lot of music usually meant that you loved and knew music.

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2005, 04:21:10 pm »

age is relative ... 

I consider myself young, but not really young ;)

But my point was that collecting music doesnt necessary mean that you know music anymore.
In the old days having a lot of music usually meant that you loved and knew music.

Hear hear runemail.

Im the runt of the litter by a long way. Not everything ripped, but approx 5000 files in my library, approx 21GB, approx 1500 with numberplays=0. Ill probably never get around to ripping/listening to it all even with 200 or so LPs still to record.

As a vinyl-era teenager Im both amazed and appalled that I could get nearly my entire musical education on a cigarette-packet size iPod nowadays. One of my favourite quotes of recent times was from The Register - "it takes $10,000 to fill a 10GB iPod".

cfgreen

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2005, 04:42:34 pm »

88709 Files (415.6 GB) - 232.8 days,  albums only, a few vids.

The biggest gain is this.

I thought I knew a lot about music.. However now spending a couple working with it really shows how really little I did know!

Finding new artists I like, Old Artists I have missed. Music I 've lost over the years (That I had thought could never be replaced)

Never thought I'd see the the day I look forward to digging through the "cutouts" bin in a music store.

Or Checking out the fleamarkets for that Disk!

Charles

breadfan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2005, 09:23:06 pm »

i have the entire napster library at my fingertips thanks to napster on the go, so I guess I win with several hundred thousand tracks :)

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2005, 10:31:05 pm »

18355 files (200.2 GB - 53.5 days) here.
THAT's what I'm talking about.

scthom

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2005, 11:19:44 pm »

Hmm.  I have the largest music collection of anyone I personally know, and I only have 280 CDs (all ripped).  Including downloads, the library contains 3864 files, 27.4 GB, 10.8 days.

I have also been importing our photos - many of which we have scanned - and also have 2442, 1.2 GB of those.

I would guess it's fairly likely that anyone with that much electronic music would be active or lurking in these forums.  Not too many programs can handle that amount of data well.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2005, 07:09:58 am »

Can I say that I'm young because I have many files? I'll be 40 next year...but I still consider myself around 16!  ;) ;D

urlwolf

• World Citizen
  • building gomotron!
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2005, 08:13:26 am »

142 Gb, 90days, X-large

bebop

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2005, 10:45:11 am »

There has always been music played around our house since I was a wee gaffer - then it was radio and Kitchen parties ( and nope, not a Newfie - but from the prairies where there was a vast ethnic mix and every one would get together whenever they could - we lived in a very small town and that was the way it was.  I first started collecting music with vinyl when my Uncle gave me a 45 of the Beatles - in German, as that's where he was stationed and got it at a club.  Imagine my amazement when they appeared on Ed Sullivan and sang in english.  Over they years I have spent a fortune on music of every sort - and packed boxes and boxes of  LP's and 45 around with each move.  Sadly, I wore many a record out by listening to them over and over and over again.

Now I, too, scour the bins for music I thought I'd never hear again - both for myself and my Mom (she's in her 70's).  My ear isn't what it used to be, but I still love my tunes.

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2005, 11:11:46 am »

I have been writing album-reviews for several years now, and im just fed up with CDs everywhere. Having new promotion CDs sent to you is very nice in the begining, before you realise that it never stops, and that most of it is crap.
So when we moved to this new apartment last year I (my girlfriend really!) decided to store all my CDs away from the apartment and use Mc as my only source for music. So now i rip all new Cds to fileserver and copy to my iPod. Then i throw away or store the actual CD, if it turns out to be crap I delete it from the fileserver.
My goal is to keep my library as good as possible, not as large as possible.

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2005, 12:46:28 pm »

Bebop,
What a great story. The image of that 45 in german and the wonder of discovering the Beatles in english is so cinematic. It would make a great scene in a Speilberg movie.

Thanks,
  BG

bebop

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2005, 09:36:04 pm »

Life was full of wonder then...am a little jaded now.  Had to have my auntie translate the German 'cause I didn't have a clue as to what" Kome gib mir dine hand "(sorry if I misspelled) meant.  But the melody was great ;D  and I bellowed along  regardless ;D  The flip side was " Sie Liebt Dich"....I can still hear my dad yelling at me to turn down that @#$# long hair music! 

modelmaker

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2005, 10:19:12 pm »

I still have the German version 45 of I Want to Hold Your Hand & She Loves You. I was around 13 or 14 then. I haven't pulled it out in decades, I doubt it's even playable now as I remember playing it over and over and over on one of those "suitcase" record players!(with a few pennies over the needle!)

My dad was stationed in Munich at the time.

Library: about 28.5k mp3s (200gig)
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

cfgreen

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2005, 12:12:00 am »

However:

Lets not forget, It's the Quaility of the Music that is most important! Not how much you have.
 ;D
Charles
Pages: [1]   Go Up