INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Files not importing  (Read 2248 times)

PhaseDance

• Recent member
Files not importing
« on: October 23, 2002, 09:24:54 am »

I am a new user. Just installed 8.0.388 last week. Re-installed it at the suggestion of another user to fix a DSP problem, which it did. Now, when I drag and drop a new MP3 file into Playing Now, it is not added to Media Library, even after revising the tag info. Happens with brand new files or old ones that I delete and try to re-import. Re-installing again did not fix this problem. The only solution so far has been to blow away Media Library and re-import everyting, at which point the new files are added to Media Library. Any experience or suggestions?

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Files not importing
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2002, 09:53:18 am »

After a drag & drop operation fails to import, go immediately to Tools>Import Media. Do the Advanced Options button and make sure MP3's, Ogg's....etc. are checked. Run it. What are the results?

What are u using for tag editing outside MJ?

Xenno

PhaseDance

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2002, 10:02:26 am »

All standard file formats (including MP3) were checked. I tried deleting and then re-importing a file using drag and drop. No luck. I can always re-run Import Media to search My Music, but that seems cumbersome when all I want to do is add 1 new file.

I'm only using the tag editor in MJ, although I have used Winamp's on these files before. However, this problem developed only after my re-installation of MJ per my original post.

xen-uno

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2002, 10:20:37 am »

>>I tried deleting and then re-importing a file using drag and drop

After Import Media failed? or what?

>>I can always re-run Import Media to search My Music, but that seems cumbersome

It IS cumbersome, but it works. And it's fast (unless your deleting the DB each time...DON'T...not necessary).

>>it is not added to Media Library, even after revising the tag info

Wait a minute, you've got the file in MJ, you've edited the tags and saved. And it disappears from MJ? Obviously it's in the DB, how else could you "see" the file to edit?

Xenno

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2002, 10:41:07 am »

>> but that seems cumbersome
you can point to a dir and not have it search the whole drive.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

PhaseDance

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2002, 10:57:37 am »

>>I tried deleting and then re-importing a file using drag and drop

After Import Media failed? or what?

>>>>Import Media did not fail, as mentioned below. Drag-and-drop into Playing Now failed to add the file to Media Library, as it has done since I began using the trial version of MJ six months ago.

>>I can always re-run Import Media to search My Music, but that seems cumbersome

It IS cumbersome, but it works. And it's fast (unless your deleting the DB each time...DON'T...not necessary).

>>>>Agreed.

>>it is not added to Media Library, even after revising the tag info

Wait a minute, you've got the file in MJ, you've edited the tags and saved. And it disappears from MJ? Obviously it's in the DB, how else could you "see" the file to edit?

>>>>The file appears (and plays) in Playing Now, and I can edit the Properties from there. However, neither before editing Properties, nor after Saving out of the Properties dialog box, does the file appear in Media Library. Don't know how it can appear in Playing Now and not be in the DB, but that appears to be the case.

Joe

xen-uno

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2002, 11:48:36 am »

Phase,

You are a registered user, correct? (>>since I began using the trial version of MJ six months ago)

Try this:
Take a problem file and edit tags in playing now and save. Close MJ. Restart MJ. Do a search (in Media Library) for that file u just saved. Do u see it?

Outline the steps u take that results in this "out of phase" :D condition.

If I can duplicate it then.......

Congratulations! You've found a Bug!

and are eligible for all sorts of prizes!

Xenno

PhaseDance

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2002, 12:21:29 pm »

Xenno,

Yes, I'm a registered user as of last week. I've tried a number of competing products over the last six months (MusicMatch, RealPlayer, Media Runner) and the glowing reviews for MJ seem to be justified. So...

1. Dragged and dropped a new MP3 file from Windows Explorer into Playing Now. File begins to play.

2. Looked in Media Library (before editing tags). Sorted by Artist, then by Title, just in case existing tag info was inaccurate. No entry found (as opposed to the dozens of times I've added files over the last siz months in this fashion, which always resulted in a new Media Library entry with the existing tag info. Of course, prior to purchasing MJ, I had to edit the tags, prior to adding the file to MJ, with another editor, as my trial period had expired.)

3. Edited the tag info, using MJ.

4. Looked again in Media Library. Still no entry found.

5. Ran Import Media. Runs fast. Voila. File appears in Media Library, properly filed in all the appropriate View Schemes.

I realize that I can work around the drag-and-drop problem by using Import Media. However, that doesn't put the file (or files) into Playing Now, which isolates the new files and allows me to modify any (potentially) inaccurate tags, which might effectively hide the file in Media Library. I also realize that I can go to Recently Imported, or I can drag-and-drop into Playing Now, edit the tags, then run Import Media. These are all workarounds for a program feature (drag-and-drop into Playing Now, file is put into Media Library) that worked until two days ago.

I'm not opposed to workarounds, bottom-line guy that I am, but now I'm intrigued by the possibility of fabulous prizes. I once won a week in Maui on a radio contest. Can you top that?

xen-uno

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2002, 12:51:29 pm »

Phase,

>>I once won a week in Maui on a radio contest. Can you top that?

:'(, no......But I can offer that you pay all of the expenses of an "All Expenses Paid Vacation to the Location of your Choice!" package. Sweet, huh?

I'll try doing what your doing and see if I have similiar results.

Out of curiosity (did I spell that right?), when you do the VooDoo that u do so well, and it fails, does it show up in Playlists>Recently Imported? Note that "Recently Imported" is dynamic playlist, and only appears if something is successfully imported in the current session.

Xenno

PhaseDance

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2002, 01:07:01 pm »

No, it does not show up in Playlists>Recently Imported until I run Import Media, only in Playing Now.

xen-uno

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2002, 01:17:27 pm »

Phase,

OK, I'll rip a song, and drag it from Explorer to MJ PN. I'll just update this particular post w/ the results.

Xenno

UpdatePhase: Can't duplicate your problem. When I rip w/ EAC and do everything else per your specs, drag & drop and inclusion into MJ DB works fine.

However, you have been awarded a concilation prize for your participation. Click on your birth month to view your prize.**

Jan/Feb: http://www.cofanifunebri.it/gennaio-febbraio.htm

Mar/April: http://www.cofanifunebri.it/marzo-aprile.htm

May/June: http://www.cofanifunebri.it/maggio-giugno.htm

July/Aug: http://www.cofanifunebri.it/luglio-agosto.htm

Sept/Oct: http://www.cofanifunebri.it/settembre-ottobre.htm

Nov/Dec: http://www.cofanifunebri.it/novembre-dicembre.htm

**Disclaimer: Not available in all areas. Girls may not look like those shown and are not included with prize**

PhaseDance

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2002, 01:57:32 pm »

Thanks for the attempt. Guess I'll try another re-install.

Roar

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2002, 04:59:55 pm »

If I understand you correctly you are dragging files into
the Playing Now sub-windows and they don't get
imported into the Media Library.

There is a setting which controls whether files you play
are automatically added to the library or not:

Options -> Settings
  General - Import & Tagging:

• Automatically import files into Media Library

Check if this setting is enabled.

- Roar

PhaseDance

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2002, 10:20:06 am »

Roar,

That did it. Thanks. Tenderfoot, my ass.

xen-uno

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2002, 10:41:39 am »

If you did an uninstall/reinstall (or a fresh install on a virgin computer), then that option is enabled by default. I wonder how it got unchecked?

PhaseDance

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2002, 10:50:08 am »

It got unchecked by this tenderfoot because I thought I would want to edit the tags before adding files to the library. Then I forgot that I had done it before posting this topic. Thanks for your help, Xenno. Sorry to have wasted your time. Again, you guys need a smiley for "palm smacking forehead". Or is that a red-cheeked icon I see under "Add Smileys"?  :-[

-PhaseDance

P.S. I didn't do an uninstall/reinstall, just a reinstall. That's probably why the option didn't get rechecked?
Pages: [1]   Go Up