INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CUE file Issues  (Read 7624 times)

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
CUE file Issues
« on: January 23, 2005, 12:19:27 pm »

Media Center has encountered errors.....while tagging and moving files. Check that the files exist, are not read-only, and are not in use by other programs. "

This occurs when i try to analyse the cue tracks from a cue files.

I have set MC to save the tags to files when ratings, name, album, track number etc are modified.

However for cue tracks, in the absence of APL files, i would expect MC to save these changes to the library and not produce the above error message.

Is this reasonable ?

When trying to import a specific folder (it has one album only), i point to the folder in the tree and select import into library, the dialog shows that the chosen dir is to be imported.

Why does mC check my whole library before importing that one directory ? It used to be this way with 10 & 9.1

I was trying to import the cue tracks, i selected them explicitly and then did a import into library, the import did not work.

So i let it run thorugh the check a few mins later, it imported the cue tracks.

i noticed the cue tracks were still brown, however in the library they are blue. I find this a bit confusing as brown implies it was never imported.

Using MC 11.0.179

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: CUE file Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 03:35:12 pm »

Media Center has encountered errors.....while tagging and moving files. Check that the files exist, are not read-only, and are not in use by other programs. "

However for cue tracks, in the absence of APL files, i would expect MC to save these changes to the library and not produce the above error message.

It is very annoying when processing a lot of files and MC interrupts the process all the time. This has been reported repeatedly during the last six months. For example MC does not try to write tags to wave or video files, since they are not taggable. I think they just forgot to program this to cue entries. From now on I am going to put this is on bug threads until it is fixed.

When trying to import a specific folder (it has one album only), i point to the folder in the tree and select import into library, the dialog shows that the chosen dir is to be imported.

Why does mC check my whole library before importing that one directory ? It used to be this way with 10 & 9.1

I was trying to import the cue tracks, i selected them explicitly and then did a import into library, the import did not work.

So i let it run thorugh the check a few mins later, it imported the cue tracks.

There is something strange going on with importing. I am not sure what to report, but everything isn't working as it should. I never do global imports from the import menu. My usual way is to import by selecting the files or folders in Windows Explorer and right-click import. It has always been working flawlessly until now. Now it works sometimes and sometimes nothing happens. I have reinstalled versions 11.0.177 and 11.0179, but I haven't been able to isolate the problem yet.

However, in your case you should examine carefully the import dialog since there are lots of changes from MC10 and many of them have effect also when importing from the MC tree. (I think.)

i noticed the cue tracks were still brown, however in the library they are blue. I find this a bit confusing as brown implies it was never imported.

As I have said many times MC never actually imports CUE sheet files to the library. It just reads the information and makes new library entries without pointing them to any physical files (except the main audio file, of course). It never touches the cue files again. In my opinion it's just logical that cue files show brown color, since the library does not handle them. That is obviously by design. Though, MC could be able to import them also as documents as it can import any text files. Just for bookkeeping and organizing.

Please J River, give us MP3, OGG, MPC and WMA apl files support. We want to see more blue! We don't want to be inferior to Foobar users, do we?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 04:29:54 pm »

Now, playing these tracks throws the same error for each track as it ends. With MC minimised to tray, playback continues regardless, but on restore all the error dialogues must be ok'd away before normal operation can continue.

Have you set the [Number Plays] library tag to be written to the files? In my case MC gives that error only when it attemps to write physical tags to the files.

On performing an import job on the library, MC decided all the tracks referenced in the cue file were broken entries and removed them from the library.

Another previously reported and never fixed BUG.

In this case all tagging is lost from MC library. Since there are no tag holder files the tags are lost for good.

Please J River, give us MP3, OGG, MPC and WMA apl files support.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 11:59:31 pm »

It is very annoying when processing a lot of files and MC interrupts the process all the time. This has been reported repeatedly during the last six months. For example MC does not try to write tags to wave or video files, since they are not taggable. I think they just forgot to program this to cue entries. From now on I am going to put this is on bug threads until it is fixed.

Good to know i'm not alone in this. i will do the same.

There is something strange going on with importing. I am not sure what to report, but everything isn't working as it should. I never do global imports from the import menu. My usual way is to import by selecting the files or folders in Windows Explorer and right-click import. It has always been working flawlessly until now. Now it works sometimes and sometimes nothing happens. I have reinstalled versions 11.0.177 and 11.0179, but I haven't been able to isolate the problem yet.

However, in your case you should examine carefully the import dialog since there are lots of changes from MC10 and many of them have effect also when importing from the MC tree. (I think.)

i haven't tried earlier versions yet, was hoping the latest would be better, in any case JRiver always advise to try the latest.

I did look at the options but i have no clue which option to set to stop it checking the library. It takes a cpl of mins to do an import for what used to take a cpl of seconds. Given that i have a few hundred cue albums to import this is taking way too long.

As I have said many times MC never actually imports CUE sheet files to the library. It just reads the information and makes new library entries without pointing them to any physical files (except the main audio file, of course). It never touches the cue files again. In my opinion it's just logical that cue files show brown color, since the library does not handle them. That is obviously by design. Though, MC could be able to import them also as documents as it can import any text files. Just for bookkeeping and organizing.

Please J River, give us MP3, OGG, MPC and WMA apl files support. We want to see more blue! We don't want to be inferior to Foobar users, do we?
i suppose i can go along with this, but would prefer blue.

If i was given a choice between the way things are currently, and APL i would choose the existing way for cue files and make use of APLs for duplicates.

Otherwise i have the big file, then the brown cue files, and then the APL files. Gets a bit messy doesnt it ;)

For some reason, MC (incorrectly) reported that the album art was stored inside the files.

I saw this too in regards to the imported cue tracks, needless to say i was a bit confused as i do not under any circumstances like to store images inside the file. Its not editable so i dont know why it does this.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 04:57:50 am »

Some more

- how do i get a list albums that have a cue file in MC ?

These albums have already been imported. I tried do a search by filename of type cue in the library and nothing showed up. Just so i can keep a list of albums that have already been imported, tagged etc.

- When i add cue tracks to MC, i usually delete the big mp3 file (from MC only) and only keep the cue tracks. This has some interesting consequences.

The number of files goes up, since i have added the cue tracks, but the total size of the library reduces (by the size of the big file from MC) implying the cue files take up zero Mbs.

What do ppl do with APL & APE ..i guess the same applies here.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 06:22:09 am »

That wasn't an MC bug. Another program screwed things up. I uninstalled it and MC came back to normal. Right-click import works normally now.  [Edit by JimH -- details are here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;topic=25711.0#msg178385 ]

I did look at the options but i have no clue which option to set to stop it checking the library. It takes a cpl of mins to do an import for what used to take a cpl of seconds. Given that i have a few hundred cue albums to import this is taking way too long.

What happens if you untick all tickboxes and and remove all search paths in "File > Import Media > Advanced"?

i suppose i can go along with this, but would prefer blue.

If i was given a choice between the way things are currently, and APL i would choose the existing way for cue files and make use of APLs for duplicates.

Otherwise i have the big file, then the brown cue files, and then the APL files. Gets a bit messy doesnt it ;)

I don't mind having many files. They are all in the correct file folders, very small and MC takes care of them. I have a hunch that CD burning and library serving (which are not working with the cue tracks yet) would be easier to fix through APL route. Perhaps they would work right from the beginning.

i do not under any circumstances like to store images inside the file. Its not editable so i dont know why it does this.

A bug again. "Right-click > Image > Remove Cover Art" or manual linking to an existent image fixes the field entries.

- how do i get a list albums that have a cue file in MC ?

These albums have already been imported. I tried do a search by filename of type cue in the library and nothing showed up. Just so i can keep a list of albums that have already been imported, tagged etc.

- When i add cue tracks to MC, i usually delete the big mp3 file (from MC only) and only keep the cue tracks. This has some interesting consequences.

The number of files goes up, since i have added the cue tracks, but the total size of the library reduces (by the size of the big file from MC) implying the cue files take up zero Mbs.

What do ppl do with APL & APE ..i guess the same applies here.

I have done the next:

Library entries look like this after I have filled the information:

I import also the source files and the auxiliary files: images, info text, etc. That way also the global file size shows up.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 07:16:15 am »

I have added also this Smartlist: -[CUE track]=[]. It shows the cue tracks.

Since Smartlist listings cannot be exported, I copy the listed tracks to a normal playlist and export it in MPL format. That way I get a separate backup copy of all the cue track tagging I have done.

I have used that MPL file in changing the location of cue tracks, which is not possible directly from the library. It is possible to cut only one album from the MPL file and edit the folder path. After importing it MC finds the main file and tagged tracks from a new location. It can be used for importing on another PC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 07:17:25 am »

That wasn't an MC bug. Another program screwed things up. I uninstalled it and MC came back to normal. Right-click import works normally now.
Alex,
Will you provide more details on this?  It might help others.  A new thread would be best.

Thanks,

Jim

[Edit -  Alex posted details here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;topic=25711.0#msg178385 ]

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 10:13:39 am »

What happes if you untick all tickboxes and and remove all search paths in "File > Import Media > Advanced"?

I tried unticking  Update library for external file changes and this did the trick. I imagine its a general check to ensure library integrity in case files get inadvertantly modified by an external program.

I have done the next:

Library entries look like this after I have filled the information:

I import also the source files and the auxiliary files: images, info text, etc. That way also the global file size shows up.
I found this useful to find cue files in combination with the smartlist, thanks for that.

However i dont like to see the source file in the album listings. If i hide the source file by telling the view scheme not to display it, it does not take into account the filesize.

I would prefer that the cue tracks display how much space they represent (dunno if its possible to calculate this) without having to have the source file present in the library. I think it might be possible since MC already does sample accurate seeking. Might just be a question of reading through the file. Should be able to get avg bitrates as well which to date are left blank.

This creates a quandary, if ppl dont delete the source (from MC only) they will see double the amount of space + source track.

SO some way to have size but not source...cant think of a way.

This would make using the cue tracks seamless IMO.

The other request i have had for a long time was if MC would update the cue file when corrections were made to Track#, Name, Artist, Album & Album Artist (if such fields were marked to be updated in the event of changes)

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2005, 01:59:43 am »

Am trying to sort out some workflow here with cue files, but MC 11 keeps dropping the cue files.

my workflow for new albums is as follows.

- they get put in a common folder. i analyse them, tag and then rate. Afterwards i move to final destination. This has the advantage of keeping fragmentation to a minimum.

If i try the above with albums that have cue files. I have to IMPORT the album, analyse the cue tracks, then rate. If i then move this album to its final destination, MC throws up red X's for the cue tracks when i browse for that album in the library.

I then do an import and tick Fix or remove broken links in the import dialog, Wait for MC to go through the whole library to fix the broken links.

the cue tracks then re-appear. (This strikes me as an unnessesary step, it was already imported, why did the links break when i moved the album from within MC ??)

Having looked at the log, i find cue tracks for albums i worked on yesterday have been removed as they had  broken links. I dont recall moving those albums.

WHY IS THIS ?

i have not lost the big file, but its takes considerable time to analyse and rate the cue files, only to find some albums cue tracks have got lost.

What am i doing wrong here ?

Am still using 11.0.179 as i did not notice any relevant fixes to this issue and the comments regarding later versions did not give me the confidence to upgrade to the latest.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2005, 03:29:38 am »

Rercall i mention checking Fix or remove broken links in the import dialog.

This has the wonderful effect of losing all cue files that were tagged & imported. (some 300 odd albums, needless to say am pretty annoyed at this)

I cant tag those cue files cos of the annoying dialog that pops up saying i cant write to the file. SO i uncheck update files when info changes. As far as my MC knowledge goes, this should leave the files untouched and only update the library. It gets rid of that dialog.

But why are imported cues considered broken during the fix operation above. Is it that MC compares the library entries with the cue in the directory (which of course are untouched ) and decides that the library entries are wrong ? regradless of whether the path to these files stays the same or is changed.

In all this experience, MC never lost the big file, even if i moved it, but does not like to hold onto the cue files.

If i did not use fix broken links, the cue entries stay. But if i move the directory elsewhere (always within MC), the cue pointers break. So i fix it, and then lose all the other cue entries ever imported.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2005, 03:50:58 am »

MC cuts out the ;1, ;2, ;3, ... ending parts from the internally used filename "representatives" when MC tools move files. That is obviously a design flaw.

Previously I have moved CUE files by making a playlist and exporting it in MPL format. Then I have edited the MPL playlist in MS Word and reimported. Easy as pie, isn't it?

Just on yesterday I moved some files from a temporally ripping folder to the correct location. I had already the Artist/Album structure, so had to change only the base paths. I tried several ways to make it easier and I found that I can move CUE entries with Find and Replace. I did this:

Find in Filename: E:\Rip\CUE\

Replace with: D:\Music\

I had imported the Audio CD image file and the album cover scans too, so they were easy to move together with the virtual CUE files.

Though, this is still a workaround.

As hit_ny, marko, myself and some others have said several times the next two bugs should be fixed immediately:

1. MC should not try to add physical file tags to CUE based library tracks and give false error messages. For example, it does not try to do that to wave or video files.

2. MC should not remove valid and good CUE entries when checking missing files. Perhaps it could check if the main audio file exists instead.

I think that the other bugs that remain are smaller, but also they should be fixed sooner or later. (CD writing, Library Server, etc).

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 05:09:44 am »

MC cuts out the ;1, ;2, ;3, ... ending parts from the internally used filename "representatives" when MC tools move files. That is obviously a design flaw.

What isn't still clear is, if one was warned about these problems, would it make sense to analyse cue tracks ? even though MC considers them as broken links.

Will a fix to this CUE problem render those previously imported cues useless, requiring a reimport+anlaysis+tag ?

Since i lost my cue tracks in the last "Fix" am thinking it might be wiser to wait till some fix appears.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 06:59:33 am »

MC should not make false warnings and it should keep the ;n parts of the filenames. Of course, the fixes should not make the previously done tagging work useless.

...would it make sense to analyse cue tracks? even though MC considers them as broken links.

I think it makes sense if you need the tags. It also makes sense to make a backup in MPL format after tagging in case that something happens. (As I wrote earlier I made a library field for cue tracks. For backups I use this smartlist: -[CUE track]=[]. I copy the contents of it to a static playlist and export that in MPL format.)

I have analyzed and tagged all cue track entries. If I use "Rename Files From Properties" for moving them MC loses the ;n parts of the filenames. If I use "Find and Replace" MC changes only specified parts of the paths and leaves the rest of the filenames intact including the ;n, so the tracks will find the correct part of the separately moved main file from the new location.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2005, 02:47:30 pm »

Can someone who has the latest build installed check if the below is still outstanding

- If an album with imported+analysed CUE tracks is moved (within MC) after import MC loses the address of those imported CUE tracks. The big file the CUE tracks are associated with is not lost.   

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2005, 07:46:52 am »

We're getting close to closing down MC11.0.  Please post your BIG BAD BUGS here.

Examples of ones that may not get fixed at this time:
Tagging problems with CUE files.

I'm trying to come to terms with this given the Move bug associated with CUE files currently.

My work flow is normally import the album with cue tracks, analyse, tag etc.  As MC 11 stands currently, if i move a directory with cue tracks (that was imported earlier), the cue tracks and the time spent to tag, analyse them. ..is lost !!!

This creates a dilemma  as i have hundreds of albums with cue tracks. If for any reason in the near future i move them, i stand to lose tags for all of them.

I don't know about others but this is preventing me from making full use of the CUE feature that was introduced in MC 11. It does not appear to me, to be that difficult to fix or if so can the developers explain why this cannot be settled within this version instead of the next. MC never loses media files if they are moved within MC (for me anyways), why should CUE tracks be the exception ?

This bug has been posted by others numerous times as well,  and has been outstanding since the CUE feature was introduced in MC around july (not sure of the month) of last year.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2005, 09:15:48 am »

Cue file support won't change with MC11.0.  Maybe in the next version.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2005, 09:50:35 am »

Cue file support won't change with MC11.0.  Maybe in the next version.

Fine, i guess you have to draw a line somewhere if 11 is ever to get out the gates.

Looking forward to v12 :)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2005, 09:55:39 am »

For some time I have successfully "moved" my CUE file folders with the Find and Replace tool by selecting only the "Filename (path)" field in the tool options. It's a workaround, but at least it works.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2005, 10:08:36 am »

Fine, i guess you have to draw a line somewhere if 11 is ever to get out the gates.
Yes.  That's the awful truth.  It's just a temporary halt to forward progress. 

Thanks for your understanding.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2005, 11:40:28 am »

For some time I have successfully "moved" my CUE file folders with the Find and Replace tool by selecting only the "Filename (path)" field in the tool options. It's a workaround, but at least it works.

Ahh...i guess i missed your post about it. I was wary about your earlier method to make any changes to MPL +re-import and thought that was the only existing work-around. Will give it a try.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2005, 12:55:20 pm »

The problem with just Find & Replace is it leaves the cue file behind.

I found i had to drag the folder to the new place and then use Find & Replace on the cue files.

This means if a folder with lots of cue albums needs to be moved. The folder containing the albums needs to be dragged first to its final destination.

Then a smartlist needs to be used to find all the tracks the cue points to and a Find &Replace has to be done on the entire lot.

It's quite involved but possible.

[Edit]
I just tried the above method on the same folder again, and it lost the cue files.

move from a->b (fine)
move back from b->a (cue tracks lost)

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2005, 01:37:38 pm »

I'm getting the following when trying to rip to APE with Cue files

Any ideas?
build - 261
Causes Media center to crash and burn afterwards.
Ape file does exist.....
standard naming conventions...
Cheers
Mr (hriZ

Posted this else where but the post was locked.
Is there a soloution for this?  Theres so many posts here I can't
see the wood for the trees.
Cheers
Chris

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2005, 01:45:27 pm »

MC supports CUE file playback.  That's about it at this point.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2005, 02:47:16 pm »

but dies on ripping...

Fair play.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up