INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: .180 & .183 won't recognise my iPod  (Read 1837 times)

wizbang

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
.180 & .183 won't recognise my iPod
« on: January 30, 2005, 05:34:13 pm »

Hi Steve,

I've tried .180 and .183 this weekend and both versions won't recognise my iPod anymore.

When I plug my iPod into its cradle MC informs me a handheld has been detected, but if I click on "iPod" under drives and devices, I get the message "Initialising Portable" and then a dialog box pops up with a red circle and a white cross in it (no text).

This happens every time I try to access the iPod via MC11.

Any ideas?

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: .180 & .183 won't recognise my iPod
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 10:40:52 am »

wizbang,

Sounds like your iPod database is corrupt. Could have been caused by any number of applications accessing your iPod. If you don't mind potentially having to start over, please browse to your iTunesDB file on your iPod (using Windows Explorer) and delete the file. You should now be able to see your iPod from within MC. You will not see your files. Right click on your iPod and select 'Rebuild database' and then you should see your files but no playlists. Resynch and you should be back up and running.

If this fails , try a reinitialze and start again (once you have deleted the iTunesDB to stop the crashing.

Steve

wizbang

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 04:40:39 pm »

Steve,

Your suggestion worked, but only for the first synchronisation after removing the iPod database. When I then removed the iPod and returned it to the cradle to try another sync, I was back to the same problem of the dialog box with the red circle, white cross.

I don't have time to do a full reinitialize of my iPod this evening (over 5000 tracks), but if I can't recover things tomorrow I will wipe it clean and reinitialise.

I assume there is no other option than to reinitialise??

benrad

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 09:52:51 am »

That's what I had to do (with my girlfriend's 4G iPod).

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 12:28:57 pm »

wizbang,

When it is crashing, try emailing me your iTunesDB file and I will figure out where the crash is and can safeguard MC from crashing in this case.

steve @ jriver.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up