INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11 On Screen Display feedback  (Read 1673 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC 11 On Screen Display feedback
« on: February 02, 2005, 04:48:18 pm »

17. Changed: Image playback uses new unified OSD to display image captions. (still a work in progress)

10. NEW: Added new unified on-screen display to playback display for showing playback state. (still a work in progress, most complete for DVD playback)

Thanks for the change on the image playback.  The OSD is at least somewhat useful now, though I still would like a few abilities with it.  Most importantly, the ability to turn it off.

I think I now see where you are going with it, but when using MC for DJ-ing and using G-Force on my LCD Projector and TVs, it's less than wonderful (and that's putting it mildly - I won't be able to use it and will have to revert back to a pre-OSD build next time I need it).  Other things that would be nice (you're probably way ahead of me) would be configuring font, location (top right, bottom left, top center, etc), and transparent background (I hope).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 05:22:04 pm »

... Most importantly, the ability to turn it off. ...

An off mode is needed for slide shows too. It is not nice to have the OSD displayed on every new image, especially if the change interval is short.

OSD blocks important information and ruins the art when running
album cover images on a rapidly changing slideshow. (Click to enlarge.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 05:43:36 pm »

.... Other things that would be nice (you're probably way ahead of me) would be configuring font, location (top right, bottom left, top center, etc), and transparent background (I hope).

That's got my vote too! Default placement looks bad on some displays.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 11 On Screen Display feedback
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 05:50:37 pm »

Changes aren't complete yet.  The size will be decreased and will probably be flexible.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 06:40:52 pm »

If you are working on it, then I would like so see flexibility and configurability for:

- font (everythin in capital letters doesn't look very nice!)
- size
- font color/background color/transparency
- location (top, right, bottom, left, center)
- line wrap for long titles
- duration of display
- some effects (like moving across the screen)
- separate lines for audio/image titles in combined slideshows
- framing engine for images (like Irfan View)
- different capture lines for audio/images tags

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 06:50:51 pm »

Thanks, Jaguu.

The discussion today at JRiver was like this.

Jim:  Maybe we could make the fonts configurable.

Matt:  Yeah.  Good idea.  Let's see how close we can get without adding options.

Jim:  OK, but for the next build would you make them about 1/4 as big?

Matt:  Maybe.

[note that this isn't quite fair to Matt who is always more agreeable than I am]

Dragyn

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 07:00:39 pm »

I think I need to make a visit..

Jim: Dave's here to make all the decisions today (God help us).

Matt: I don't think so.

Me: You're in my world now monkey boy. //points at name tag.

Here's what were gonna do...we're gonna have a menu in the options called Dragyn's Goodies. In here...wait, I need to go get the beer first, then we'll talk.

hahah..j/k.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 05:16:43 am »

Hi J River,

tested the OSD of release 188. Following my comment:

1) Although the font size adapts to the length of the title, it is not a good thing. If you have a very long title, then the size gets so small, that you cannot read it from a distance. Also some long title lines are truncated, so that you miss information.

2) Line wrapping or having the possibility of including CR/NL in the capture line definition field would be much better. 2 or 3 short lines are much easier to read than one single long line.

Take this for examle:

CLAUDE MONET: QUITE DAYS ON A SUNNY  AFTERNOON RELAXING IN THE GARDEN (1878), MUSEE D'ORSAY, IMPRESSIONIST COLLECTION, PARIS, FRANCE

or

Claude Monet:
Quite Days on a Sunny Afternoon relaxing in the Garden (1878)
Musée d'Orsay, Impressionist collection, Paris, France

Which one is more pleasing to the eye to read?

3) Displaying the whole line in CAPITAL LETTERS is simply UGLY and contrary to any style practice. Even J River complains if users post their HEADERS  OR TEXT IN CAPITAL LETTERS. So please, do not CAPITALIZE.

4) White letters on a black background do not look very nicely and are a pain for the eye to look at. I thought the days of black and white monitors were over! Why not have some dark color and transparent background in the center of the screen, or as I already suggested, add some more configuration options to image playback and leave it to the users taste.

5) The sequence on how stuff is displayed is not pleasing to the eye. First you display the capture line. It sometimes even appears before the next image is displayed, then you display the transitions effects and then the full image. I feel it would look much nicer if the capture line would appear after the transition effect has completed and also a little less abruptly. Give some transition time to appear and disapperar to the capture text as well.

One of the real strength of MC11 is its high configurability in every part of the product. Why trying to avoid such a configurability where tastes probably widely differ.

One of your next J River parties you might want to display the capture text like this:

XX.XX.2005: We did it!
J River party celebrating final release of MC11!

Participants:
Jim,
Matt,
Nikolay,
John,
Peter,
Steve,
[/b]

Somebody would like it to have it displayed on the top left corner, another one on the bottom left, somebody in the center of the screen and another one on the top or bottom right.

And it would be great to be able to save that by view scheme or playlist. So please give us some more choice on how todisplay the capture text.

Pages: [1]   Go Up