INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Going to Buy Music Lobby and DVD Lobby for Pocket PC... What is BEST PPC???  (Read 2135 times)

Health Nut

• World Citizen

Hi,

I am going to buy pocket PC and go wireless, probably putting a HTPC in my bedroom... I should be able to control everything via Pocket PC: J Rivers MC as well as TheaterTEK, etc.. and apparently I don;t have to spend any time learning things like netremote and usbguirt (I have little time).  

What is the most killer POCKET PC or control device for this purpose?

Health Nut

• World Citizen

Having no experience with Pocket PC's, I'm relying on people here with experience... what Pocket PC would you get, upgrade to?

Sundog_AK

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...

The Cinemar's products you mentioned in the title will do control of a DVD and music server.  Music Lobby uses MC as the "guts" for the music portion, but they use their own client server module (DVD Lobby) for DVD management.   I use ZoomPlayer instead of Theatertek for PC DVD playback via DVD Lobby, but they are pretty similar (although in hindsight, would have gone with TheaterTek).  

I have all of the Cinemar products with the exception of the Music Lobby Pocket PC version which came out after I bought my setup.  I did get the DVD Lobby Pocket PC module, but have yet to get it all installed and working on my Pocket PC, mainly due to lack of time on my end.  I have an iPAQ 2215, which is a great unit but it does not come with WiFi built in (can add via CF slot).  Thus, that is a drawback if you are shooting for a client/server setup with the unit in an all in one package.  The newer iPAQ model comes with WiFi and Bluetooth built in.  

I did buy a Compact Flash WiFi Card for the 2215, but there has been a lot of problems with non-existent or beta only drivers for many cards that are used for the newer Pocket PC 2003 OS (namely the Linksys WiFi card).  One advantage with the 2215 is it comes with the higher power IR unit for remote control of IR units, but you are more interested in client server technology, which will require a Ethernet connection through a WiFi card.

I have found that battery power is the main limitation to the Pocket PC setup, especially with WiFi Card active (which you have to, if using client/server setup like MusicLobby).  I was looking more for a remote control setup that I wouldn't have to worry about constantly putting back in the cradle for power.  At least for my 2215, I was only getting a couple hours with WiFi working.  On the Cinemar forums and the AVS Forum, there has been lots of talk about using the PC tablets, such as the Airpanel.  You can also probably get more first hand experience from people who have gone the Pocket PC route on those forums.  From what I have seen, it seems that the tablet approach is a better solution if you are trying to do the "most coolest remote" thing by using it to control a music and DVD server setup, along with IR blasters to control your IR equipment.  Tablets have the advantage of bigger screen and touch screen ability.

If you go the client/server setup, plan on lots of fiddling time.  It takes awhile to get everything working correctly.  MusicLobby, MC, DVD Lobby, TheaterTek, IR receiver, Pocket PC, Girder (if using to control IR from PC), Main Lobby (the client/server module), etc..etc.  I consider myself a gear head, but it was getting a bit overwhelming, especially (in my opinion), since the documentation on the Cinemar products leaves a lot to be desired. Plan on spending time in their forum and lots of trial and error.   When it is all working though, it is great.  

For me, I am sticking with my MX-500 and MX-800 remotes to control the Cinemar products for the moment, until I get time to play more with DVD Lobby Pocket PC and see how that goes.  :D

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!

I don't use it for what you are talking about, but I also have an iPaq 2215 (beautiful, small, powerful) PocketPC. I have a CF card for storage so my wireless LAN card is an SDIO card (mine's a Socket and there are at least one or two other brands). This works perfectly -- no driver problems. It does have built in IR which I use with the Nevo software that comes on the 2215 to control my TV, Tivo, home stereo, etc. (Nice 'cause you can program a macro that will turn on the TV, Tivo, home stereo, DVD player, switch to the correct mode and voila, which one tap I'm up and ready to watch a movie).

Health Nut

• World Citizen

I basically have it figured out what would be best for me if I go the HTPC route, but need to find out how to deal with the MyHD card and a Radeon Card.  Then there is the Mike Parker MP-1 modification, which I'm wondering if it is worthwhile.  I know there are some people here who know whether it is worth it or it is not and I'd love private notification of their opinion.  It is a simple modification that is nothing much more than a line driver by adding op amps.  Hard to believe it would make any difference unless you had a 50+ foot run of RGBHV cable.  

So you have a Radeon Card output and then there is the MyHD card output.  I only have one RGBHV input for the Dwin HD700 with a 13M (about 40 feet) run of RGBHV cable.  

While you could take the output of the Radeon and loop it thru the MyHD card, it would have been much more appealing to loop the MyHD card output thru the Radeon.  I'm concerned about taking the Radeon output and using the pass-thru on the MyHD card.  

Apparently there is a 1.3 Mike Parker modification which is on the website which describes essentially the MP-1 mod which can be done to any other card such as the Holo3D card.  Likely that means they could perform the MP-1 modification to the MyHD card.  If you used the MyHD modification you would in essence be modifying the output of both the Radeon and the MyHD card.  Assuming this modification is worthwhile.

One could say: "Well just buy a high quality switcher, like an EXTRON"  Sure but they are like $1,000... and maybe the pass thru on the MyHD card is just as good.  Maybe the MP 1.3 mod to the MyHD card is beneficial to both... not sure.  Would love opinions.

I would also assume that Mike Parker takes the high frequency filters off the Radeon card while he is in there...  

I could easily live within the capabilities of a HTPC for the next couple years because I have too many trees to care about sattelite, so all I need is DVD, CD, OTA-HD and I'm fine.  I could always add a capture card if I wanted to display my cable.

Then I would just rely on Theatertek, Powerstrip, and Mario's Cinemar Suite with Main Lobby, DVD Lobby, and Music Lobby and use a pocket PC for control, waiting for the Main Lobby version of Pocket PC to come out in beta in a month or two.  J Rivers Media Center and Music Lobby will take care of the music.

The trickiest part would be how to control My HD, which would likely require main lobby and guirt.  I heard MyPC can be controlled by IR, but I'd be out of range and would likely just wait for main lobby pocket PC version.  The who plan is to have the HTPC in the bedroom 40 feet away.

Anyway, off to get this figured out on whether to pull the trigger, or simply do a music server only and live with a Zenith STB, and Cinematrix for another 2-2.5 years.

I'll take your advice:

"On the Cinemar forums and the AVS Forum, there has been lots of talk about using the PC tablets, such as the Airpanel.  You can also probably get more first hand experience from people who have gone the Pocket PC route on those forums."

Thanks!

Chris

Health Nut

• World Citizen

Wonder if NERO can control a Meridian 861 by IR?  Is it a learning remote?  I guess it would be...?  Meridian has been traditionally tough to get going by universal remotes... not sure why.

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Re:Going to Buy Music Lobby and DVD Lobby for Pocket PC... What is BEST PPC???
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 07:12:03 pm »

can you control your media center w\ your pda?  if so how? my ipaq doesn't recognise windows medi palyer or media center as players?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Re:Going to Buy Music Lobby and DVD Lobby for Pocket PC... What is BEST PPC???
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 01:39:42 am »

HealthNut, Radeon is dead in the HT. GeForce from 5900 and up has better picture quality, so don't even think about modding a Radeon, do it to a GeForce. And of course, I would suggest using NetRemote instead of the Lobby programs.  ;) I'm getting my new PDA/Cellphone today, a unit called Blue Angel from the manufacturer HTC, in Norway it's sold as Qtek 9090. It has a slide down keyboard, so it's fantastic for instance for searching the library via NetRemote.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

godavego

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile

What about Windows CE boxes in a larger form factor?  Anyone have any recomendations for these?  Rather than use VNC in a wall touchpad, I'd like to have a larger screen to work with, but most of the screens I've found are more like airpanels, or they require a stylus.

I want to use NetRemote, but use a 7-10" screen.  If possible, it should be rated for in-wall use and not require a harddrive.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar

Some (I for one have been using it, but mine's at the shop right now) use the SimPADs. They aren't the fastest units around, but with less graphics intensive CCFs they work. You should be able to put that on/in a wall.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system
Pages: [1]   Go Up