INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library server issue  (Read 1196 times)

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
Library server issue
« on: February 08, 2005, 01:59:50 pm »

I seem to have terrible trouble with Library Server everytime something changes. The most frustrating thing is that I never know what the problem is. I just get the same "Failed to connect to a server" message.

So, my computer at work got upgraded to WinXP Pro and Office2003. Prior to this, I used Library Server from this machine to access my music at home flawlessly. Since the computer was wiped, I had to reinstall MC11 and I put the latest version (.190), which is also what I have at home.

I created a Library definition with my Home ip and port (tel.homeftp.org:8989). But when I try to connect, I keep getting the failed message.

Nothing has changed at home. MC is running, Library Server is running on Port 8989. I know the tel.homeftp.org is working because I can connect to a different port on that through another program just fine.

There was some sort of Sygate system thing on my work computer, but I disabled that and got the same problem, then I turned it off in msconfig, rebooted so it's really not there, and I'm still having the same problem.

Any ideas what might have been done to me to disable this? I can't figure out why I am having trouble now.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Library server issue
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 02:44:56 pm »

Open a command window and type:

telnet tel.homeftp.org 8989

This should help you know what's going on...

j

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 08:18:58 pm »

Hmm, well I tried that from the home computer and  that didn't tell me much that meant anything to me.

It said "could not connect. . . on port 23: connect failed"

However, I tried it also to port 8080 (the one that works) and I got the *same* message.

I'll try it from work again tomorrow in case it might say something more useful.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 09:36:04 pm »

It should fail on 23 - windows systems don't respond to telnet.

Since it is failing on 8080, it sounds like it is not listening on that port. To find out your open ports, do "netstat -an" in a command window, and look through the output. Check Library Server options to see if something is there you didn't expect.

j

RemyJ

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 07:06:17 pm »

If you have authentication turned on, try turinng it off.   Having it on causes the server to simply not accept connections.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce
Pages: [1]   Go Up