INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why burning not possible without local library?  (Read 2439 times)

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
Why burning not possible without local library?
« on: February 13, 2005, 04:44:58 am »

I have a server which acts as a library server (M11 latest build). I would like to burn a CD on a client. MC tells me that this does not work unless I have a local library. Why? The whole point of having a server is to serve files to clients.  :'(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Why burning not possible without local library?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 07:26:14 am »

It isn't possible right now.  Maybe sometime later.  The reason is that we're a little cautious about what we allow from the server.  The law is really unclear in this area, and we're trying to steer clear of legal problems.

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 07:46:59 am »

I understand the legal concern but for a local whole-house audio solution this doesn't apply. Maybe a potential solution could be to have two kinds of server accesses, one with and one without a password.

Having everything on the server and then not be able to burn a copy for the car is kind of "complicated".

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 07:52:07 am »

It's hard to distinguish between a home network and a business or university network.

Please try to understand that it's just a dangerous area from a legal point of view.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 08:11:28 am »

It's hard to distinguish between a home network and a business or university network.

Please try to understand that it's just a dangerous area from a legal point of view.

It seems that reproducing/duplicating content on a client machine is unclear.

Listening however is not.

godavego

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 11:43:31 am »

A similar issue occurs with images.  I have a media server setup with all my music and images, and I use MC clients to access it.  Very often, my wife or I want to email a picture of our kids to family, but you can't do this from a client that is accessing a remote library.  The "Send to Email" menu item is available, but the process fails.  As a result, my wife refuses to use MC to access any of our pictures because it's a royal pain to do anything but look at them.

What if you made it an option to allow it?  Burning or send my own content is certainly within the scope of "fair use".

britade

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 03:36:30 am »

I guess this could be cleared up with some kind of access control, which allows you to select what can be done with exported content.   This could either be done on a global basis which would satisfy those of us using MC on a home network only.  If you are really adventurous, it would be nice to have separate accounts (rather than the single one at the moment) and associated different permissions with each.

Regards,

Adrian.

scrappy

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 11:10:29 am »

I too would like to have the ability to burn a cd from the client since all of my media is on a server on my home network.   

I posted a question like this some time ago.  I actually thought this was a feature of this product and it was one of the reasons I purchased it.  I actually purchased two seperate licenses so far.

As it stands currently much of the functionality is not very usefull to me since I have a client - server setup. 

Considering I own all of the media I don't see this feature as a legal issue.  If I wanted to share something illegally it's very easy to do.  Restricting a product usefullness doesn't stop the pirates. 

lpr

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 11:40:25 am »

I have a server which acts as a library server (M11 latest build). I would like to burn a CD on a client. MC tells me that this does not work unless I have a local library. Why? The whole point of having a server is to serve files to clients.  :'(

My music is on a HTPC running MC with some external drives. I have MC also installed on my home PC. My media library point to some network shared folders of the external drives of the HTPC. I backup my MC library on/from the HTPC and restore it on my home PC's MC (they still point to the same network shared folders). I can burn CDs from my home PC.

This could be a work around for your problem.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 12:09:59 pm »

This could be a work around for your problem.

It is, but isn't as streamlined as using MC to do it as the orignal poster wanted. lets face it once u use MC on one machine, and get used to the way it works, its natural to expect the same when you network with it.

I'm *really* curious what the legal issues are regarding this. If its your own content, why is there a problem.

I guess JRiver is trying to avoid MC becoming a P2P client. Is this even possible ?

There is a server, a client can access it,  can the client itself now become a server to another client. I dont think so. Many clients can access one sever depending on network capacity.

Can anyone think of a another app that deals with media and has the functionality that the original poster wanted ?

Is it possible with iTunes or M$ Media Center 10 ?

godavego

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 01:45:06 pm »

I don't know about iTunes, but the behavior is the same in MC10 and MC11.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 03:06:25 pm »

My point was, if there are other products that have the functionality the original poster (as well as many others) want, then we can look into how they got around the legal issues.

scrappy

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 06:53:45 pm »

I really want MC to have this feature. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up