INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M-Audio Firewire Audiophile/ASIO Help please!  (Read 1508 times)

bc

• Junior Woodchuck
M-Audio Firewire Audiophile/ASIO Help please!
« on: February 13, 2005, 04:39:58 pm »

Hi--

I've just installed the subject M-Audio device as my external sound card for the laptop. Windows XP Pro SP 2. MC 10.0.173.

Installed M-Audio drivers just released in January. MC recognizes M-Audio device as ASIO in Playback Options Output.

Been through all the Windows audio control panels. Everywhere I've looked M-Audio is set as default device.

The one anomaly I find is that in the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties--the Volume tab shows M-Audio as default device but the volume slider is grayed out with the slider pegged far left--no volume.

Anybody out there got any hints for me?

I'd sure appreciate it.

bc
bc

imitation

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: M-Audio Firewire Audiophile/ASIO Help please!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 06:43:40 pm »

M-Audio cards don’t use system volume. You have to go Control panel/sound and audio devices hit the audio tab then volume button and adjust the wave volume level. To adjust the volume in MC you will have to change to internal volume instead of system volume. I set the wave volume at 50% and adjust the main volume on my preamp.  :(You won't be able to adjust the volume with a remote or multimedia keyboard but it's no big deal. l

Tangoman

• World Citizen
  • You are nothing that you are conscious of.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 04:26:20 am »

Hi BC
I have the same card and can confirm imitation's reply. I found the card to be a huge improvement over the laptop sound card.
Cheers Gerry
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left. - Anon

bc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 08:36:37 pm »

Hi--

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

A few more questions.

I understand the difference in using the Audio vs. the Volume tab in the Windows Audio Control Panel.

Are you using ASIO as the Playback Output Mode in MC Options?

Can you explain the difference to me between "System Volume" and "Internal Volume" in the MC Player menu?

What playback settings other than defaults do you use in the M-Audio control panel--the one that launches from the tiny M in the Notification Area/System Tray?

What about the volume control on the M-Audio Firewire box. Where do you set that?

I wonder about setting "half" volume anywhere before the amplifier. My understanding (perhaps vague) has always been to max everything out before the amplifier so as not to "choke off" any of the line level signal.

There is no amplification going on up to this point so there should be no risk of sending an overamped signal to the amplifier.

I totally agree with controlling volume at amplifier.

Thanks for the help.

Best personal regards...
bc

imitation

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 11:13:22 pm »

Hey bc,

MC doesn’t need to see all the inputs and outputs of a pro recording soundcard, just wave out or direct sound. ASIO is for recording and mixing software. Internal volume just means MC controls the volume level separate from the operating system. Maximum volume will be the same level your operating system is set at, and it will just attenuate down from there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up