INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to deal with Compilation Albums!?  (Read 1527 times)

Adamski

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
How to deal with Compilation Albums!?
« on: October 21, 2002, 04:37:42 pm »

Once upon a time the world was a wonderful and pure place ... then along came various things ... one of which was the "Compilation Album" ...

Now, whilst we all will probably acknowledge that most compilation albums house 3 or 4 great Tchyooooons ... they do also simultaneously lay abode to, on average, 20 or 30 examples of utter pish (do excuse me I am located in sunny Edinburgh!)  ...

... I digress ...

I'm finding that compilation albums are causing me problems in terms of filing / managing my collection.  I like filing by "Genre/Artist/Album" but compilations create a nightmare whereby I suddenly have HUNDREDS of artists under one genre that relate to only a few albums ....

To the veterans out there, what advice can you offer!?

PS: I'd like to dedicate this post to the gorgeous Ms. Stella Artois.

nila

Re: How to deal with Compilation Albums!?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2002, 06:12:24 pm »

Ok, from experience this is what I do:
I have ALL my music on my N drive in folders:

Full albums
Compilations
Soundtracks
Singles
Radio Stations

I then import it all
and for my full albums selection, in order to avoid the problem your having I set a search criteria for the view:
N:\Full Albums\
This way it only shows me full albums and gets rid of all the random artists names.
The other way is to set maybe one of the custom fields to say it's a compilation then set the search criteria to avoid any mp3 with that value in the field.

Or of course most simply to do:
Genre/Album :)

Adamski

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2002, 06:44:21 pm »

Yeah, its a tricky wee devil .... all was going so nicely untill I got to the compos!

Have been messing around since I made my post on this one and actually had been been thinking about exactly what you just said ... just looks like I need to add the artist into the album name and I'm sorted ....

Cheers
ad

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2002, 07:30:05 pm »

MJ has a feature which is pretty much intended to deal with your problem.
It is called "AlbumArtist"
Ever noticed how under the Media Library there is a default View Scheme called AlbumArtist/ Album?
If you set the "AlbumArtist" in the file properties to something other than the Artist then the listing under "AlbumArtist/ Album" will reflect the change.

For instance if you change the properties of all the tracks on "Disco til You Die" so that the AlbumArtist for those tracks is "Various" or some such (I actually just use the Album Name for the Album Artist myself) then your media library, (under the view scheme "AlbumArtist/ Album") will show those tracks under the AlbumArtist "Various" or whatever you choose"

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2002, 04:34:52 am »

I had the same quandy for a while.  Then I was told about The Albumartist keywork.   If you go to Settins/Options-File Naming & Location and change the Directory rule from "GENRE\ARTIST\ALBUM"  to "GENRE\ALBUMARTIST\ALBUM", MJ will create a directory using the Album Artist field of the ID3v2 tag.  The thing that confused me at first was that "GENRE\ALBUMARTIST\ALBUM" wasn't available in the list of options in the list box for the directory rule, and had to be manually entered.  Also, make sure that all of the ID3 tags has the artist name in the Album Artist field.  For compilation discs such as "Rock Hits Of The '70's" the Album Artist is "Various Artist".  For Soundtracks, the Album Artist is "Soundtrack".  and so on.  This should work well in your situation.

Good Luck,
Chico
JRiver Media Center... If you don't have it, I don't want to hear it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up