INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ipod capacity errors  (Read 3008 times)

sixrivers

• Recent member
Ipod capacity errors
« on: February 18, 2005, 11:28:05 pm »

Having trouble syncing ipod.  Using build 11.0.196.  MC seems to register zero capacity and will not allow a sync (over capacity error).  I have used both ipod updater and initialized it under MC.  Still no joy.  Any ideas?

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
Re: Ipod capacity errors
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 07:38:47 am »

Happened to me this morning.  I initialised the iPod and tried to sync, but MC thought it was "full".

I closed and restarted MC and all was well, however.

sixrivers

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 07:59:18 am »

I have been having this problem for some time now.  Been through several updates to MC.  Always back to the same issue.   I was even using iTunes for a while just to get the ipod working.

sixrivers

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 03:48:26 pm »

OK...new problem...same thread.

After another run through the iPOD updater, MC now recognizes the ipod with the full 30 gigs.  But I am still having problems sync'ing the unit.  I can get to between 50 to 200 songs before it freezes up on me.  When I remove the ipod, MC crashes and no songs are registered on the ipod.  (Often associated with a Windows - Delayed Write Failed) error.  This is usually associated with the USB port.

When I use the firewire port, different problems happen.  Either the computer will completely shut down and restart (after MC recognizes the ipod) or it will not recognize the mounting of the ipod at all.

I have had successful sync's with this computer before.  I also just installed a new firewire card and a USB 2.0 card just to see if that would clear the problem.  I have been switching among the USB and firewire ports to see if that was the problem (I have both the USB and Firewire sync cables.)

HELP!!

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 07:04:49 pm »

sixrivers,

Seems like your having hardware issues which are beyond the scope of MC.

Can you get other apps to work with your iPod successfully?

STeve

sixrivers

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 10:04:21 pm »

I have been "working" the ipod through the previous night.  I have over 4000 songs now loaded from MC.  Last night, things were fine.  Got through the sync mostly using firewire (few freezes during that time)...completed about 4000 songs with playlists included.  Got greedy and went to add a few more playlists.  Now I'm on the last few hundred songs and seem to have hit a road block.  I continued to switch between firewire and USB with the same problems.  As of this morning, MC crashes each time I hook up the iPOD...either USB or Firewire.  I can access the songs on the ipod but no playlists will come through.  I have tried to restart the computer to refresh things…but no luck.

Only a few days ago, I was using iTunes.  No problem loading files and playlists.  I just don’t like using it.  Just to test your theory, I loaded EPHPOD and it recognizes the ipod just fine.  BUTTTT…after EPHPOD tried to “look” at the database, the ipod seemingly lost all information on the 4000 songs that were loaded.  I had EPHPOD look for orphaned songs and it found all 4000+ songs, but did not make them visible on the ipod.  I guess I am back to square 1.

After all this, I rechecked MC.  On both the firewire and USB connection, it sees the ipod.  It just crashes when I right click to access a menu for it.  It did also register that it could not recognize the DB on the ipod (effect from EPHPOD venture.)

When I mount the ipod, it does show up under windows explorer.  I guess I am not convinced that I have a hardware problem.  If I do, it is very selective on when it causes problems.

Ideas?

sixrivers

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 10:48:57 pm »

Having a go at it again.  Did another reset with the ipod updater (crying...)  Now time to load the 4-5Kof songs again.  So far, working fine.  Loaded 100 songs w/o incident.  Ejected / mounted and loaded another 50....OK so far.  Now I am moving though all my playlists using the USB connection.  Problems don't seem to come unless I load a large number of songs.  I'll fill you in tomorrow on my results.

sixrivers

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 11:47:37 pm »

@!#$?#&*%# - spoke too soon.  Froze up on song 19 of 234 for the 3rd sync.  (Out of memory, Transfer Aborted.)  MC did a courtesy shutdown.  I had my playlists from my 2 previous syncs though.

Made another attempt at a USB connection.  MC got hung up on a continual search of the ipod.  I manually ejected it and MC shutdown in protest.  (I would too!)  I lost my play lists after this.

Made a third attempt and got the error "Error reading ipod database."  Repeated about a dozen times and then MC shutdown.  This is now the normal routine each time I connect through the USB port.  Decided to test the firewire connection...got the same error and associated shutdown.

Initialized ipod again and had a go using the firewire port.  Again...two sucessful syncs with 100 then 50 songs.  Started a 3rd sync with 250 songs...MC froze on song 27.  Same error, but no shutdown.  Mounted again and attempted to resync  at got up to 35 before it froze.

Did not mean to boar you with details...not sure if this would give an indication of the problem.

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 12:35:27 pm »

sixrivers,

After each file transfer, MC checks the available space on your iPod against the size of the file to be transferred. If the avaialable space is too low, you see this error.  Generally, you should never see this unless you approaching the limit of your device, unless you have a hardware/connection issue. Then, it is very common for this to occur.

Steve

mike01

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 06:25:57 pm »

I am having similar issues as this thread.

I am getting a "delayed writed failed" error after transferring anything above around 200-300 songs from media center 10 to my ipod (3G-20G).  Media center crashes, the ipod crashes and I loose all of my playlists and data on the ipod. Once I restore the Ipod I can transfer again, but I gamble everytime I want to put more songs onto the ipod. This is similar to what sixrivers is experiencing and oh boy is it frustrating.

Windows XP
3G Ipod 20G
Adaptec 4300 firewire card.
No USB 2.0 so firewire is my only choice

I know that this may be hardware related I just need to know a checklist to go through before I can say for sure what the issue is.  I am also leaving for Hawaii tomorrow and I would like to at least have 500 songs while I sit on the plane... that is all I ask.

Thanks folks.

Mike

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 01:30:31 am »

I am having this problem, and it has kept me from achieving a successful sync with any version of MC11.

Basically - plug in the iPod and start to sync. MC11 reports -8.5GB free, in spite of the fact that the iPod is syncing against a set of smartlists that are constrained to 18.5GB.

I proceed anyway, MC11 deletes the files that are not in the sync, then stops after a while, saying that the device is overcapacity, yadda yadda.

The only way I can get anything on the iPod is to initialize it within MC11. At this point MC11 will report -18.5GB free. So I disconnect the iPod and reconnect it, quit MC and restart it.

Now it shows 18.5GB free and the sync can proceed.

However, I have not yet been able to carry out a successful incremental sync with any version of MC11 - only a full sync starting with a freshly initialized iPod.

The connection is over the same FW port that I have used for the past 2 years. iTunes syncs to the same iPod with no problems at all.

I think there is a problem with how MC11 deals with smartlists in this case ie it needs to evaluate all the smartlists in order to calculate the size of the sync, and hence the free space.

SteveG

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 04:41:14 pm »

Gian,

I do not think your problem is the same as Mike's. I think yours is related to file and space calculations for nested smartlists.  Please try to reproduce your problem when synching only playlists and smartlists which are not nested and let me know the result. That will help identify the issue and expedite a resolution.

Mike,

'Delayed write failure' definitely leads me to think hardware issues.  Try transferring a bunch of files by drag and dropping them on the iPod in Windows Explorer. If you see the problem, you will know it is hardware releated. (FYI, after this test the files will be on your iPod but will not be playable. After the test, delete them from within Windows Explorer)

I assume you are now in Hawaii. Sorry I couldn't help sooner. But hey, at least you are in Hawaii, things could be worse :)

Steve

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 08:03:59 pm »

I have had both of these problems recently and attributed them to using an older 3g ipod and thought maybe it had a bad disk sector.  I came to a conclusion that the iPod was overheating.  I have been able to do some successful smaller synchs, but when I did anything larger I got that write error.  I had never seen it before in two years of iPodding.  My theory is the Ipod disk is writing too much and overheating the iPod and the iPod is shutting itself down.  My only evidence is that the ipod was super hot.  very scientifici i know.

I also have gotten a lot of -8 GB free and then I would uncheck some things and then get -16 GB free and then uncheck more.  Even shutting down MC wouldn't work -- like the calculation has "memory" outside of MC -- does it getting wirtten to a file or registry?  I have been experimenting with more complicated SmartLists.

SteveG

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 11:43:47 am »

Rob,

Thanks for the update in regards to hardware. 

In regards to  -8GB free, where are you seeing this text and exactly what does it say?

Thanks,

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up