INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: transfer all good, playlist order is wrong  (Read 1796 times)

newflavour

• Recent member
transfer all good, playlist order is wrong
« on: February 20, 2005, 04:07:04 am »

Hi folks,

I've done a bit of searching, probably not enough, but I am having issues with my playlists that are being transferred to the ipod.

I have a 4g 40gb ipod and can get my playlists to transfer with the trial version of MC11 however, the ordering of the files(when viewing them within the ipod itself) is not as it is within MC. Is there a way of changing them to order alphabetically by track name once they have been transferred?

I have a purchased version of MC9 but it crashes whenever I do a synch/transfer. Have had zero luck with MC9 and am going to upgrade permanently to MC11, provided I can get my playlists to order properly.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: transfer all good, playlist order is wrong
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 07:17:14 am »

Is shuffle on (on the iPod)?

newflavour

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 07:50:27 am »

Is shuffle on (on the iPod)?

nope, shuffle is not on. twas one of the first things I checked.....when viewing artists, albums or tracks they are all listed alphabetically, it's just the playlsits aren't.

I've tried replicating the same sorting within MC by changing different columns and their sorting preferences but can't get the same result.

this one has me stumped(for now) :)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 05:50:57 pm »

do your playlists in MC specify to sort by name?

If not, they will load in whatever order they are sorted, and if net specified, I assume in just some random order.

I had to tell MC to sort all my playlists by name in order to get the iPod to sort that way, but it works.

good luck
pretend this is something funny

newflavour

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 09:53:16 pm »

Interesting. I use the same sorting method for all views - which is alphabetically by track name.

I might wipe the Ipod, resort the playlists and give it another shot.  Mind you, 5000+ tracks with conversion takes a long time (hahahahaha). I wonder if there's an ipod hack to edit the playlist directly within the ipod.

As a seperate side not i've noticed that the duplicate(s) warning that displays goes by the Track Name in the ID3 tag and not the actual file name. I have many tracks with the same Track Name but performed by different artists and have different file names. I will look at  the other posts about this issue.

newflavour

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 06:18:21 am »

ok, got it figured, so for those that have had similar issues here is what you have to do. (yes, it was human error - sort of)

When viewing a playlist and sorting columns within MC the columns will show how you are wanting them to. You can close and restart MC and they will remain with that setting.

However, when transfering to an iPod this isn't transfered. Why? Because the order the playlist was originally created with remains, despite column sorting.

You will need to right click the playlist name (in the tree view) and select "update order". Now when you transfer to your iPod everything will be as it should be.

Something so simple that I overlooked. At this point I'd like to say that MC kicks arse. So many features hidden away, I find a new one everyday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up