INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues Transcoding etc. 11.0.196  (Read 2143 times)

ahbrown41

• World Citizen
  • Music is good
Issues Transcoding etc. 11.0.196
« on: February 22, 2005, 09:34:24 am »

Hello,
I recently started using MC with my Rio Karma and I have noticed a few issues I thought I would bring up.

1)  Rio Karma is not recognized through a USB hub.  It has to be plugged into root port to be recognized.
2)  Last night I indicated I wanted to send my collection to the Karma and transcode the files to OGG Normal/Low quality.  This morning I noticed it was frozen 500 files through.  I canceled and checked the device and there were no files on it whatsoever.  I tried one file with transcoding on and it said it completed.  Again the device showed no files on it.  I then turned off transcoding and the single file appeared to transfer.
3)  The device is not recognized for automatic syncing unless I restart the computer and turn on MC.  Otherwise, if I restart MC or restart the player, no auto syncing is done.  Is this correct?
3)  Would ne nice to be able to transfer files until the device is full.  The Rio application has an option to rotate files based on how new they are.  I would rather not actively manage what is on the karma.
4)  Playlist support!!!  I know Rio is being a pain but dbPowerAmp and Red Chair sofware have syncing of playlists.  Not sure how they got the specs.
5)  The program also got confused and thought there were files on the player that were not on the player.  When I tried to delete them, the program crashed.

Anyway, there are my initial thoughts.  Thanks!!

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Issues Transcoding etc. 11.0.196
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 12:48:49 pm »

1)  Rio Karma is not recognized through a USB hub.  It has to be plugged into root port to be recognized.

Recoginzed by MC or by your PC? If by your PC (through another app or in device manager) this is beyond our control.

2)  Last night I indicated I wanted to send my collection to the Karma and transcode the files to OGG Normal/Low quality.  This morning I noticed it was frozen 500 files through.  I canceled and checked the device and there were no files on it whatsoever.  I tried one file with transcoding on and it said it completed.  Again the device showed no files on it.  I then turned off transcoding and the single file appeared to transfer.

Does Karma support Ogg? If so, I need to modify a table to allow those files to transfer. To do this, I need to know exactly the name of Karma in the MC tree.

The device is not recognized for automatic syncing unless I restart the computer and turn on MC.  Otherwise, if I restart MC or restart the player, no auto syncing is done.  Is this correct?

How did you set up the auto sync?

Would ne nice to be able to transfer files until the device is full.  The Rio application has an option to rotate files based on how new they are.  I would rather not actively manage what is on the karma.

MC 11 will let you know how much space is available at any point in time when you are preparing to sync. You can use smartlists to limit how much content to transfer and you can make them dynamic so that the content rotates.

4)  Playlist support!!!  I know Rio is being a pain but dbPowerAmp and Red Chair sofware have syncing of playlists.  Not sure how they got the specs.

We need a Karma here or assistance from Rio to try to try to figure this out.

5)  The program also got confused and thought there were files on the player that were not on the player.  When I tried to delete them, the program crashed.

The next build of MC 11 has modifications that will hopefully resolve this.

ahbrown41

• World Citizen
  • Music is good
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 01:17:33 pm »

Recoginzed by MC or by your PC? If by your PC (through another app or in device manager) this is beyond our control.

It is recognized by the Rio application so I guess the PC.  Let me play around a bit tonight with it.

Does Karma support Ogg? If so, I need to modify a table to allow those files to transfer. To do this, I need to know exactly the name of Karma in the MC tree.

Yes the Karma does support this format (OGG) as well as WMV and MP3.  I believe it is called "Rio Karma" in drives and devices.

How did you set up the auto sync?

Autosync with this playlist...  At what point should it autosync?  When I plug it in right?  If so, that was not working for me.  Although the device was being recognized.

MC 11 will let you know how much space is available at any point in time when you are preparing to sync. You can use smartlists to limit how much content to transfer and you can make them dynamic so that the content rotates.

Smartlists are the coolest things ever in this space!!  I have that set up now.  Really impressive!!

We need a Karma here or assistance from Rio to try to try to figure this out.

If I were to call and harass them, would I be asking for the USB protocol for transfering playlists and music?  I know the network protocol the Karma uses is all over the net, but not sure what one might call the USB component.

The next build of MC 11 has modifications that will hopefully resolve this.

Great, thanks!

ahbrown41

• World Citizen
  • Music is good
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 01:35:55 pm »

Also, FYI the Rio Karma supports two methods for updating it.
  • Through the Rio non mass storage driver installed in the OS.
  • Through a TCP/IP protocal that is very well documented.

Are they simply not giving you specs on their driver?

ahbrown41

• World Citizen
  • Music is good
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 01:50:05 pm »

I got the USB hub working.  Not sure why it did not work before.

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 09:13:49 am »

I believe it is called "Rio Karma" in drives and devices.

Please verify exactly what it is and post and I will add edits to allow the additional file types.

Autosync with this playlist...

Where did you set that option??

ahbrown41

• World Citizen
  • Music is good
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 11:25:40 am »

The name is "Rio Karma" exactly including caps.

I set "AutoSync with only these playlists" in the handheld options.

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 12:03:38 pm »

I am able to transcode to OGG and tranfer files to another device that is similar to Karma. Unfortunately, I do not have a Karma to test.  Please try to transfer one file again and take note in the Action Window that you see the file percentage convert and then transfer.  Try converting a file to OGG in MC and then transfer it to Karma with conversion turned off and see what happens.

In regards to the autosync, this needs to be modified for it to work correctly. I will put it on the list to do.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up