INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using MC11 with classical music  (Read 974 times)

fhaber

Using MC11 with classical music
« on: February 23, 2005, 02:09:22 pm »

Newbie to the program, experienced computer user though.  I'm starting with the beta 11s, and my interests are 98% audio, 70% classical and jazz.  The features *look* as though they were designed to be usable outside of the pop/band/song universe.  Any collection of tips anywhere?

I started with nnn.8nn, and installed .92 on top of that.  I had database problems.  .8 hung on import of a 3200-item database on a USB HD.  The data seemed indexed though, so I began my trial.  Later, outside of the program, I copied the entire folder to the  C: drive.  On firing up .92 and re "import"ing, I got a usable database, but all files continued to display the previous E:\... paths!  Certain functions complained, but play seemed to work.  Reported before?

Is there a database reindex/cleanup facility anywhere?  I presume this is XML.  Where are the data files?  I just gave up and uninstalled, nuking everything.

Comment: .92 seems noticeably sprightlier with this modest database.  Good improvement.\

Associations: Why does MC grab JPEG and TIFF?  Is it also a thumbnail program??

Thanks,
Frank

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Re: Newbie Beta Catchup
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 02:38:45 pm »

Welcome! You will find some rough edges, but in all you will enjoy using MC 11.

First, go get the latest build, .196. Much nicer than previous builds and fewer glitches.

Second, yes, MC does images, not just thumbnails. Handles other documents too. I'll refer you to the "MC 11 Improvements" part of the post for each new build. The fixes/changes are listed above that as well for each build.

Sorry you didn't post before nuking your install, there are ways to fix the problem you had.

You'll find several folks here who use MC with classical and everyone has tips and shortcuts to getting this or that result.

Have fun!

fhaber

Re: Using MC11 with classical music
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 03:16:12 pm »

Ah, correction - 'tis /.96 now.  Thanks for the reply.  I see the moderator has retitled us.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 03:20:22 pm »

11.0.196?

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 11:19:28 pm »

I really love MC11 for classical music. I can put the Composer in the Composer field, the Orchestra in the Band field and have the Artist field be the main performer I want to file under without losing other information. The new Disc# feature is great for multi-disk sets (like operas!).

Spend some time checking it out, I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied.
Pages: [1]   Go Up