INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: What's With The Registration?  (Read 1277 times)

nila

Re: What's With The Registration?
« on: October 20, 2002, 03:30:58 pm »

Rob,
Just a piece of advice, I was in the same situation as you were I do a lot of formats and re-installs.
The advice I was given at the time was to just use MJ for it's 30 day trial period after a fresh install before using up a restore on it.
I've been doing this and it works great. A bit of a pain but never the less a workable solution.
Combine the 30 day trial periods with 10 restores a year and you can pretty much make sure you always have a working copy as long as you wait till day 30 before doing a restore.

zevele10

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2002, 03:43:22 pm »

The only thing is to re-download MJ after a clean install.
Not to use the exe you have allready-in case of more than one drive and all your exe not on C drive.

I am not crazy about this licence but with 10 restores and 30 days free trial,we are in the zone of understanding for both sides. Beside it keep in mind that using the 30 days trial allow you to format A LOT without using even one restore

Kurt Young

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2002, 05:47:23 pm »

True that.  I ran out of restores once, because I kept formatting my wife's computer, reinstalling windows, reinstalling and activating MJ.  Her computer had a problem, and I just couldn't get it to be stable.  After I got my restores reset (thanks again, guys), I kept reformatting and troubleshooting, but I just didn't activate MJ.  Once it was finally stable, I activated (on day 15 of the trial, I might add, hehe)

If you install MJ and you know it's possible that you'll have to reformat in the near future, just don't activate.  Use up every day of the 30 day trial if ya need to.

In my opinion, the limited activations is a great anti-piracy scheme.  There's no way in heck I'd give out my registration key, even to a friend.  Once it's out of my hands, who knows where it'd end up, and I'd be out of luck.  Hehe, that key is mine!  MINE!!  ALL MINE!!!  BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!  :)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

zak326

• Recent member
  • consultant
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2002, 11:39:11 pm »

Excuse my candor, but doesn't this whole license thing seem like a big waste of everyone's time. Frankly I got so fed up with all the ins and outs of  it, that I went back to the new Musicmatch since Ihave lifetime upgrades from long ago.  It's a stepsister compared to MJ but there are no licensing issues and the new burn and supertagging features are fairly good. I do still have media jbox and really like it better, but the whole licensing thing is a real turnoff. I must say that the people who referred me here in the first pace have all abandoned it because of licensing issues.

What I donb't understand is why if this is such a great security feature, no one else uses it.

I don't mean this to be catty or sarcstic but, I do feel that the whole registration process has cost media jukebox more in lost customers than  woould steal the program under another system.

If someone is gonna crack trhe code they are gonna crack it,! we all know that.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2002, 05:08:06 am »

Zak,
When you have your own program, you can make those choices.  For now, please believe that we have given this a lot of thought.  What we do is the best combination of respecting your needs and ours.

If we could earn more money by doing it your way, we'd do it.  We have about 10 times more people trying to crack the program than buying it.

Jim

nila

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2002, 11:16:32 am »

Jim,
I fully respect that it's your program and that you dont want people cracking it but I think, particularly with MJ, the biggest deterant to cracking it is the fact that MJ is always being upgraded. Upgraded versions prevent cracks working on future versions if the copy protection is built into the .exe so that each time the .exe changes size, the crack can no longer modify the correct position of bytes in it.

A perfect example of this is: TweakXp which is cracked all the time but they always release new versions of it and each new version prevents the crack working. They do an excellent job of preventing the crack from working for long.

I understand you have a lot of people trying to crack it and I can only try to imagine how infuriating and frustrating that is but surely the question you have to ask yourself is more:
Are these people going to buy MJ if they cant crack it or just turn to another program they can crack.
Also, are you loosing more people who might have paid for it by doing this than the number of people who will buy it if they cant find a working crack.

Surely that's far more important a question than just how many people are trying to crack it.

It's like the Music Industry claiming that because 3000 songs are downloaded that's 3000 single sales they've lost. Everyone knows it's not true. They've lost a few single sales but most of the people who downloaded it wouldn't necessarily buy it if they couldn't download it.

Anyway, I do fully understand it's your program and that it's got to be HUGELY frustrating having so many people trying to scam it.
I wish you all the success in the world because I love the program.

Just giving some food for thought to give a different way of looking at the situation.

:)

zak326

• Recent member
  • consultant
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2002, 12:15:11 pm »

Jim,

While I am going to assume that your comments about this  being your program are meant constructively., Might I remind you that each of us who have spent $29 and continue to support you through upgrades that we are willing to pay for, make "Your Program" possible. Certainly your talent and business ethics have given the product the stellar reputation it enjoys today,  but remember Media Jukebox is my product and everyone else's that paid for it. I have a receipt that gives me ownership. Media Jukebox is your baby and one you should be proud of. Please , for your own good, don't publish that "this is my program" stuff.  There are a lot of jealous people out there who will take that post and quote it on forum after forum.

I guess as a businessman, myself, I am trying to figure out the overall situation and why it couldn't be done easier.  I am writing a book on customer service, the internet and e commerce, sort of  a primer for consumers in dealing with E commmerce.  I have spent about 80 hours a week for the last three years researching the issues and , I have to say  that your conscientiousness and customer service is stellar. And by the way, media jukebox does not have the most cumbersome registration process on the web, that crown belongs to Icon Cool, followed up by ICUII , who just decided to change everyone's reg code and cutting people off if they don't send an email by a certain date requesting a new one, even tho they promised a year of upgrades etc.

I truly do empathize with you, but it is a pain in the butt,  One day a year or two from now, there will be an answer. Until then please take care of "Our Program."  My investment was and is well spent money.  ::) :P ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up