INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld Sync Issues MC11  (Read 2000 times)

rickeyjt

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Handheld Sync Issues MC11
« on: February 28, 2005, 11:24:10 am »

Beta 11.0.199

MC11 writes out .m3u playlists to the root of my players with a leading .\ which the players do not like.  Can you create a screen that lets you choose how to write out the playlist contents?  Similar to the way you do when you rip or renames files.

When I am syncing and basically updating my playlists on the handheld, mc11 will complain that I do not have enough room to transfer.  But in most cases I am not adding new songs so it is not adding up space available properly and will not let me sync.

Why does it take for-ever to initialize the handheld when it gets plugged in?  Almost not worth using this setup with mc11 because of it.  Rio Carbon and iRiver ihp140.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Handheld Sync Issues MC11
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 12:47:54 pm »

Why does it take for-ever to initialize the handheld when it gets plugged in?

Which device, Carbon, 140 or both?

MC11 writes out .m3u playlists to the root of my players with a leading .\

I can customize this for certain devices. It should work for the 140. I am working with someone who has one to try to resolve why. I will email you for more info if I get stuck.

When I am syncing and basically updating my playlists on the handheld, mc11 will complain that I do not have enough room to transfer.  But in most cases I am not adding new songs so it is not adding up space available properly and will not let me sync.

Do you have the option to 'Delete unselected files' checked?

Steve

rickeyjt

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 01:04:41 pm »

It's even way longer for the 140 I can only guess because it has eight times the hard drive space.

I do not have the delete unselected files checked.  What does that mean exactly?  I sounds like if you check it it will delete everything from the player.

The term 'syncing'.  This referrs to make selected playlists equal on the player as what they are on my computer, right?  It is confusing as to what gets deleted.  If a playlist changes I would think songs on the player do not get deleted, just unused in newly created playlists.

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 01:02:05 pm »

It's even way longer for the 140 I can only guess because it has eight times the hard drive space.

Do you see this time lag if you close and reopen MC and then click on the device? It should only be slow one time when the files are analyzed and added to the database that we store on the device.

I do not have the delete unselected files checked.  What does that mean exactly

It means MC will remove files from the device that are not selected for synchronization.  Have you selected smartlists to sync? If so, the contents of the lists are dynamic and may result in additional files being sent.

rickeyjt

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 09:38:15 pm »

Same time if I close mc11 down and reopen it.  This whole process seems inefficient.  I can only see a use for syncing if that is your intention - to delete files and make source pc equal in content to destination handheld.  I don not see this possible when I have 100gb of music on my hard drive.  I do not use smartlists necessarily to update the handheld.

Why does mc11 have to try to catalog everything on my handheld?  For this syncing operation?  What if, and I do, add songs to the handheld outside of mc11.

I would rather see a simpler approach.  Windows explorer reads the contents immediatley.  I want to transfer songs to the player and create playlists on the player.  I should be able to drag a playist to the handheld.  If the song in the playlist exists on the handheld mc11 does not need to copy it, all others it copies over.  Playlist created (even if it is a smartlist playlist).  Done.  If I do not have enough room for new music on the handheld then it will be up to me to delete files to make room.

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 09:03:31 am »

Rickeyjt,

There was a bug introduced into MC that was causing the files to be reindexed on the reconnection of the device. This is resolved in the next build.

Steve

rickeyjt

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 02:11:39 pm »

It seems the Carbon lists much faster now but ihp140 icon appears but jumps away when clicking on it.

I started a new thread on clearling out the Drives & Devices area of the tree.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=26457.0

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 12:31:00 pm »

Please see my post in that thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up