INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I set up Dlink DSM 320 today......  (Read 1115 times)

Gzydeck

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
I set up Dlink DSM 320 today......
« on: March 03, 2005, 09:01:26 pm »

and so far I am very pleased.

Here's the quick rundown.

My system is a wired network with a Linksys Router/8 port Switch. All computers running XP with all updates. About 5800 WAV files, 8,000 photos, and a few dozen MPEG's on firewire external hard drives.

Opened the box, loaded the software. Went right to the web and got the latest software update (1.03). Told software which files to share. Waited for the files to be processed/stored in database (about 15 minutes in my case).

Went upstairs, turned on unit. Followed the quick start guide, and set everything up. Told unit to perform firmware update, and it went out and got the latest version (2.05).  In about 5 minutes I was watching video's of kids when they were little tykes. Tried fast forward, reverse, and everything worked.

Went to the Music area, started some Aimee Mann, clicked on Photo's, and started a slide show with my music playing in the background.

The wife is now very, very impressed. Fooled around for another 1/2 hour or so, and haven't found a glitch (subject to change, of course)

Now I thought I'd give Media Center UPnP Server a try. The main reason I need it is that all of my WAV files are stored in one large folder. This means I would have to scroll thru all my songs with the Dlink software. If I had it all in folders, it wouldn't be so bad, but I really don't want to go to such bother.

I went to my computer and started Media Center, and started the UPnP Server. Went back to unit, and found the second server. So far, so good.

However, when I clicked on the options for Music, Photo, or Video, I got a message that there was no content available.

Had to quit fooling around at about that time, and will get back at it tomorrow.

In the meantime, does anyone know if there is some trick to link all your files to the UPnP Server. I thought it would just automatically show the music files with your Theater View settings. Maybe I'm just missing something, but I'm not quite sure where to look.

Hope this was helpful to some, and thanks for any help.

Gregg

Gzydeck

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: I set up Dlink DSM 320 today......
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 10:46:40 pm »

Good news.....I got my Theater View showing up. It turns out I didn't save the changes on the unit after I found the new server.

Bad News...When I play music files all I hear is a popping noise.

Works fine thru the DSM server...any ideas??

Gregg

Robert Taylor

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 01:48:52 am »

I thought the uPNP server item in this forum mentioned that there was an issue streaming non-mp3 files via uPNP AT THE MOMENT, and an update coming SOON may fix this...

Cheers
Rob

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 09:41:49 am »

Yep, convert everything to MP3 for now.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up