INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPOD being picked up as a Hard Drive  (Read 3839 times)

alias

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
IPOD being picked up as a Hard Drive
« on: March 06, 2005, 06:09:48 am »

Just updated to 201 and again to 205 and my iPOD is being picked up just as a Hard Drive, displaying directories for contacts, calenders, etc. Only option get when I right-click is "Show All Files".

Anyone know how to fix this?

alias

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: IPOD being picked up as a Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 11:32:38 am »

Nobody?

alias

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 05:50:12 pm »

Still Happening. Have restored iPod Using Latest updater, uninstalled an reinstalled MC and no joy. Really beginning to stress me  :(

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 05:54:49 pm »

I get the same thing if I login as a user, not with administrative rights.

If you can, login as an admin, and see if that works.
pretend this is something funny

alias

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 06:08:59 pm »

Thanks for that but I am already logged in an Admin.

It detects it as a new device but displays it as a Drive showing the contects rather then albums, etc.

alias

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 07:08:29 am »

Can anyone help me here?

I have resinstalled MC > didn't fix.
I have done I iPod restore > didn't fix.

My 2nd PC running 205 sees the iPod fine!

LloydStC

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 09:05:25 pm »

I posted about a similar, if not the same problem, earlier this week but have not received any response yet.  However, this evening I was able to fix it, I believe - at least my iPod is now recognized as an iPod and it is currently syncing to my MC 11.0.205 playlist.

Here's what I did after starting with a freshly restored iPod by iTunes: 

1)  Installed MC 10.0.173 because I had uninstalled it sometime ago.  MC 10 was able to see it as an iPod.  I initialized my iPod on MC 10, but the playlist I wanted to sync with was an MC 11 playlist. 

2)  I attempted to restore my MC 11 Library which caused an error message about a version conflict.  MC 10 would then no longer open. 

3)  I had to delete all of the library files in the MC 10 program folder, uninstall and reinstall MC 10 at which point I was able to open MC 10 and restore an MC 10 library.  MC 10 always recognized my iPod as an iPod.  (I can't remember whether I had to reinitialize my iPod at this point, but I don't think I did.) 

4)  I opened MC 11 but it still did not see my iPod, just a hard drive as before. 

5)  Uninstalled MC 11.0.205. 

6)  Downloaded and installed MC 11.0.211.  Then it could see my iPod as an iPod.  As mentioned above, my iPod is currently syncing with my large playlist and transferring about 34 GB.

I did not mess with user rights as I am an admin.  I don't know whether steps 2 and 3 were just diversions that cost me a little time or if they were part of the solution to my problem.  I'd like to think they had nothing to do with it.

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 12:05:09 pm »

After restoring your iPod or reformatting your iPod, the iPod firmware should create a (possibly hidden) folder called iPod_Control (or something similar. I do not have my iPod here to check).

If MC sees this folder it treats your iPod as an iPod. You may need to disconnect and reconnect your iPod for this to occur. If at anytime MC is not detecting your iPod correctly, look for this folder.

Steve

alias

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 03:56:48 pm »

After restoring your iPod or reformatting your iPod, the iPod firmware should create a (possibly hidden) folder called iPod_Control (or something similar. I do not have my iPod here to check).

If MC sees this folder it treats your iPod as an iPod. You may need to disconnect and reconnect your iPod for this to occur. If at anytime MC is not detecting your iPod correctly, look for this folder.

Steve

Hi Steve, I have tried a restore a number of times and can confirm the iPod_Control Folder is there. The problem is isolated to my machine as it does not recognise either of my iPods as iPods. However my PC upstairs sees them fine? I have uninstalled the app but that has not fixed it. Do you have any regclean batch file for MC?

Thanks in advance.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 02:25:02 pm »

Steve

Does this mean that if I have not selected "show hidden folders" in explorer, then MC can't see the folder.  If so, will changing this take care of the problem?

It sounds like this is the same problem I'm having in the other thread.

Anyone know if it's possible to have this option set for one user, but not for another?  i.e. for the admin, but not another user?

I'm not able to use the other machine right now, so I can't check, but I'll try to get on it later and check this.

Thanks

alias

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 03:27:45 pm »

Hidden Folders/Files is an aesthetic thing and has nothing to do with the systems/applications ability to see the file/folder.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 07:57:37 pm »

Yeah, i can confirm that this did not help me at all either.

Hopefully this can be solved.

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 11:17:25 am »

alias,

Did you use the Tools->Options->Handheld->Configure drive option to detect your iPod? If so, remove that entry.  If not,  do other applications see your iPod without problem?

Steve

alias

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 01:14:02 pm »

Steve I think you can ignore my problem for the time being as I think its a FW issue. When I have config'ed the iPod using MC upstairs and plug it in on this problem machine it can sometimes hang the machine both while live and from a fresh boot. I also can get a BSOD (MM_Inpool_Driver). Although if I reformat using the iPod updater on the machine upstairs it runs fine. I'll run an update and try iTunes and let you know later on in the week.

SteveG

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 10:11:48 am »

alias,

Thanks for the update.

Steve

alias

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2005, 01:13:23 pm »

Back again  :( Built a brand new system and have the same problem. Have tried all listed above with no change. Build 11.0.313.

SteveG

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2005, 10:26:45 am »

Could you try with 11.1?

alias

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2005, 05:46:44 pm »

Will do. I thought it was something to do with FW chips. I popped the iPod back on to the old system which is now running Windows 2003 Server and it works fine. However I note both systems are running of Texas Inst. There are differences in the driver dates and versions although that may be down to XP vs W2003 Server! However they are on different PCI Slots / Buses!

I have a FW to USB converter for the iPod that I was going to try over the weekend to see if its picked up on the USB. This could help narrow our search.

Cheers

SteveG

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2005, 09:28:15 am »

Thanks. Keep us posted on what you find.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up