INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT small speakers for hifi system  (Read 1494 times)

zevele1

OT small speakers for hifi system
« on: September 04, 2002, 08:19:25 am »

First let me try to be understand.
I speak about speakers for a plain hifi system= amp,speakers plug to it.
NOT any kind of home movie or suround dolby yobbi sound.

Right now i have 2 'towers'  each of 2 lound speakers[i mean i have 2 loud speakers for each canal] 1,50 meter hight.0.60 deep and wide.Quitte big in my living room.
2 of them are allmost kappout.

Do anyone use this kind of small speakers who cost a lot?

If yes ,the sound is good?

When you play LOUD-i mean really loud- rock music with a good amp ,do you have this full,deep,round sound with the trebles sharp and clean?

Or not really?

Would like some tips,price not an issue.

By loud,i mean Hendrix with volume at 8 on a REAL 40 watts amp

konicky

RE:OT small speakers for hifi system
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2002, 10:16:17 am »

Hi Zevele,
I'm not quite sure how small you mean. I use B&W CDM1's (0.36H,0.22W,0.28D)hooked up to a 60W Audiolab amp. They go seriously loud, never had them anywhere near max volume. Bass is very good provided you use a quality stand.In the UK these cost around £900 including stand.

zevele1

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2002, 12:57:37 pm »

I was thinking about kind of Boos or something like it.

But ,reading your post,i say "forget it".Real speakers small as you say IS the think for me.

B&W is a good brand.The price you give me is ok to me.Just i have to check if they have it here -in Israel-But i am sure they have.

Funny ,i heard someone telling me that a french has a shop with top french hifi brands near Tel-Aviv.And he said to me that he saw speakers ,even smaller than the B&W-let say more or less the same - that sound better than mine and cost big money.
This person has allways 'breaking news'to tell,so i was sure it was one more time kind of no-sense.But look like it was not.

Anyway i will try it.The problem with europeen speakers is that the sound is 'round'.I love the metallic sound of US speakers.For rock it is really good

kandarohidharmapala

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2002, 02:15:26 am »

the best speakers i have ever heard are made by either naim or linn.
 obviously, big speakers tend to sound better than small, if the source material is substandard, the preamp isnt too good or the poweramp hasnt enough headroom to cope with the required listening level or cannot properly drive the speakers, then bigger or betterspeakers cannot improve the sound. i personally advise being wary of ported or long throw or bass reflex type designs for rock music, because i think what they gain in low end frequency tresponse, they lose in punch and clarity, particularly with fast, repeated notes like you get played by a typical hard rock bass player. if money isnt an issue, then consider a fully active system... this is a particularly noticeable improvement when using small/midsize speakers. i am talking about using an active crossover system, tunable to the listening environment at least here.
  my personal favourite setup was a linn kairn preamp, linn klout poweramps, linn isobarik aktiv speakers. for asround £2500 secondhand, that setup will blow you away, man!

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2002, 03:09:38 am »

I have been really impressed with the price performance or norh speakers (mail order internet company from Thailand)... I dived on a deal for the marble 9's, the flagship of the line and run them in a multi channel setup with an active sub...

I know there is someone selling a pair (on harmonic discord formus)for about $1700 (retail 3k) or so but shipping would add a chunck of change... These are real clear musical stellar speakers... I am one very happy customer...

They have a pretty full range of alternatives and have smaller speaker sets too... They are a ported drum design and I personally feel a sub is very beneficial to them but I do like clear and powerful bass to shine through...

Check the audio review ratings...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

zevele10

Re: OT small speakers for hifi system
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2002, 05:37:02 am »

Here is what i found here.
2 english brands at around 500 hundred english pounds.
This is the price in Uk ,here it is around +/- 700 hundred pounds. More or less more than a thousand $
There is not B&W CDM1,only CM2.
To my great surprise they sound 'dry' not like europeen speakers.

The other ones are Epos M-12.They have a very full sound.Maybe to much full.
Anyway i just did a fast test.I have to test it with some of my cds and lps.
After that i can test each of them for a couple of days at home.

Now i would like very much  not put them on stands.
What do you think about a metal structure starting from the seiling?
My seiling is at +/- 3 meters.Speakers have to be at +1,60 ,maximum 1,80 meter.I do think 1,80 meter is to hight.Not sure it is such a good idea.
But if not on stands,what is the solution?

Kanda...pala      HAPPY MAN!!!
Are you sure your system will blow me away?
You bet on the safe side! LINN!! Look like you got a very  very good deal.Do you have a turnable as well?

Big money is an issue because of the weather here.Even top gear does not last long here.I mean do not expect a very top an expensive stereo system to last you your life.Lamps blow away,ruber burns and fall to pieces and you have to keep a blank cd or tape in  cd desk,cdw ,DVD,video because of the dust\sand..
Of cause you can built a room like the ones to keep wine for your stereo.. as you  see ,not very feasible

konicky

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2002, 05:54:46 am »

Hi Zevele,
The CM2 is designed to be either stand or shelf mounted, so if you don't want stands, try a shelf. :)
"The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said" (P.Drucker)

zevele10

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2002, 06:02:22 am »

Thank you.
But if i use a shelf,in this case the speaker is close from the wall.It is not a problem?
At the decorating level,shelf are ok with me

Do you have the CM2?

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2002, 09:10:51 pm »

Zev -

Do any of the outdoor speakers sound good enough for what you are looking for?  They should last a lot longer in your environment.  We're very pleased with the Boston Acoustics Voyager 3's, $300/pair.  I've never tried the Voyager Pro, $400/pair, or the Grand Voyagers, $700.  The Grand's have a 7" woofer, so you'd probably want a sub.

Scronch
Pages: [1]   Go Up