INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Icon in Windows XP Notification area keeps disappearing  (Read 1539 times)

Dopas

• Junior Woodchuck
  • MC rocks ... keep up your good work!
MC Icon in Windows XP Notification area keeps disappearing
« on: March 12, 2005, 07:42:22 am »

I'm using the Windows XP feature to hide icons in the noticifcation area if they are inactive.
In this case if I keep the MC Center running , the MC Icon keeps disappearing. Since its name changes with each song, I can't use the selection to show it all the time.

The reason I want to see the icon is just to be able to control MC throught it (Right click menu) and specifically allow me to get MC back into the foreground when needing it.

So am I the only one with this problem? Is there a way that we can either
- Not show the playing title of MC, maybe as an option, so in this case allow to show Media Center all the time in the noticifcation area
- Or maybe keep the Media Center active all the time (I don't know how XP decides if an icon is active, but obviously it marks the MC icon as inactive).

Thanks
Dom
Media Center 12.X/13.x
Handheld: IPOD 60GB, Creative Vision:M
Media Receiver: DLink DSM-320

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC Icon in Windows XP Notification area keeps disappearing
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 08:15:14 am »

What do you mean by "since it's name changes"?

Are you running Playing Now?  Or any other third party plug-in?

Dragyn

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 08:48:24 am »

What he means is when the track changes, the tooltip also changes. When you exclude MC from the list of icons to be hidden, it only works for the currently playing track. Once you change tracks, it will be hidden again because that's what XP does.

The only way to have this not happen is to unhide all the icons or have a static tooltip for the tray icon.

Personally, I unhide everything. I like to see what's running.

Dopas

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 09:57:36 am »

What he means is when the track changes, the tooltip also changes. When you exclude MC from the list of icons to be hidden, it only works for the currently playing track. Once you change tracks, it will be hidden again because that's what XP does.

The only way to have this not happen is to unhide all the icons or have a static tooltip for the tray icon.

Exactly how I meant it ...

Personally, I unhide everything. I like to see what's running.

Personal  choice ...But in my case I don't want to see every icon, the MC Icon I'd like to see though. I'm sure I'm not the only that hides some of the unused icons ...
Media Center 12.X/13.x

Krazykanuck

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 12:03:33 pm »

I'm not seeing that.
I have media center set to always show.
Running XP Pro with SP2.
Icon is always there.

Dopas

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 05:04:36 pm »

I could be wrong, but I believe the trick is to set your "always show" setting while MC is in a 'stopped' state. ie, no music playing. Now, you'll notice that it's just listed as plain old Media Center 11.

This is the bit I'm unsure about, but reasonably confident, that after having done that, changes caused by the current track tooltip will be tracked by windows and the never hide option will be honoured.

Gotta be worth a try.

-marko.

Alright, that seems to work. Once I've done it that way it seems to recognize MC without problems. I thought I had tried that before, but I guess I did something wrong.

Thanks for the help
Dom
Media Center 12.X/13.x
Pages: [1]   Go Up