INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server 1.0.21  (Read 23129 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library Server 1.0.21
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2005, 11:59:38 pm »

Set up Library Server the way you want it.   It's under "plug-ins" in the tree.

Start it.

Close MC.  The server will still be running and it's called "Media Server" at that point.  It's just a small sub-set of MC.

Thanks for clarification.

Is there a way to get this "Media Server sub-set" to start at bootup without starting the full MC?  If I put MC in the "Startup" folder, won't the entire program start and then need to be closed again?  How do I set things up with the new version of MC so that when I boot up, Media Server is active and I'll be able to access the library from my other system, but so that MC won't be fully running and require closing every time I boot?

Thanks again,

Larry

Branxx

• Recent member
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2005, 01:59:17 am »

"How do I set things up with the new version of MC so that when I boot up, Media Server is active and I'll be able to access the library from my other system, but so that MC won't be fully running and require closing every time I boot?"

To get exactly what you are asking, Media Server needs to run as a Windows NT Service that starts automatically on system boot-up.  Please refer to my post a few items earlier for the entries you need to add to you registry file to define such a service.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2005, 03:09:56 am »

To get exactly what you are asking, Media Server needs to run as a Windows NT Service that starts automatically[/] on system boot-up.  Please refer to my post a few items earlier for the entries you need to add to you registry file to define such a service.

Thanks for the information.  I know it may sound a bit lame, but I'd rather not have to remember how to do this in the future, or to remember to turn off the service when I update the program.  I just have too many other things like this to remember, and I'm at the point where I feel totally saturated in this regard, so I'd like to avoid this if at all possible.  Given this, is there any way to get MC to start up minimized?  This way, at least it would not take over the screen when the system booted.

On a side note, if the method you mentioned above is all it takes to get this to work, why doesn't MC offer to do this natively when you use Media Server?

Thanks again,

Larry

Branxx

• Recent member
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2005, 03:28:49 am »

"On a side note, if the method you mentioned above is all it takes to get this to work, why doesn't MC offer to do this natively when you use Media Server?"

This is something I suggested a while ago. I think the kernel of the Media Center should be Media Server with two way communication with the clients (i.e. clients can read the content as well as submit modifications). This is more complicated implementation but J River have already put so many components of that model into the current version. Maybe version 12 or 13 would be along those lines.

As for Media Server running minimised, try adding the shortcut to your all programs/startup menu to run "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\mjextman.exe" /MediaServer". This should start the media server minimised. You need to explicitly login in order for this to be activated (as opposed to just turning the server machine on), and stay login (hopefully this present no additional security implications for you).

Branxx

• Recent member
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2005, 01:24:13 pm »

Update #3: MC11 build 283 have moved the location of media server file and renamed it to MC11.exe, so the last line in the registery entries should read:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\J River Media Server 11\Parameters]
"Application"="C:\WINDOWS\system32\MC11.exe /MediaServer"

Branxx

• Recent member
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2005, 01:49:09 pm »

Build 283 finally streams WMA file with international characters in the filename.

Mangy Varmit

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2005, 12:57:53 pm »

Did this ever get resolved/addressed??? I'm also curious...

OK, it comes down to this ... I would LOVE to share my library of over 125,000 songs (all organized, cataloged, tagged, and sorted thanks to the folks at MC & King's plugins), but I cannot easily share my library because it takes FOREVER for someone to download the library from my PC!  The library ends up being >30MB because I cannot limit any of the fields, or data, being sent.   And, the distant end cannot cache the library .. therefore, a crash, a reboot, or even just a close/start causes a redownload of the entire library!!!

What, if any, is the solution?

jriver.drosoph.com:9997 for a 30 Meg library if you get bored ;)

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2005, 11:19:51 pm »

Did this ever get resolved/addressed??? I'm also curious...
Actually, No, it hasn't been resolved.  I just want to be able to go through the available data fields an Checkbox which ones are made available to remote users.  -- Current Library size is 30Megs compressed!!!

Branxx

• Recent member
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2005, 12:18:15 am »

This should be resolved within library add/edit section (i.e. connection profile). The user should be able to specify the compression setting as well as database fields per library.

This would greatly help to deal with situation when one is trying to connect to same libabry over the local area network or over the slow connection.

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2005, 03:57:13 pm »

Actually, No, it hasn't been resolved.  I just want to be able to go through the available data fields an Checkbox which ones are made available to remote users.  -- Current Library size is 30Megs compressed!!!
Any updates yet ?  Still got a 34Meg library download ... that I have to do every morning when I get to work !!!
UGH

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2005, 12:02:46 am »

Someone try this and see if it works!

82,000+ Audio Files (I took out all Vid, Pics, and Karaoke :) )

jriver.drosoph.com:9997
login: test
password: test

I've found a way to run independent Library Server from my actual library .. I need to see if this is going to work :) I'll leave MC up with my library of 128,000 files ... and hopefully, you'll be able to download the 9 Megger, with just 82,000 files and play them ?

Download is just at 9 Megs!

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2005, 12:27:10 am »

Ok, I can see some attempts to download .. dont know if its diff people or same person ..
i only have so much bandwidth to send the files :)

Anyone get the entire library, failures, any feedback?

Now, what would make this perfect (and automated) is a checkbox listing of all Library Fields in the OPTIONS of the Library Server.... Along with the File Size of each field
AND a search string in the window!

That way I could create "Media Type=AUDIO, -Karaoke"
and I would see:
Name (checkbox) -- 3.4 Megs
MD5Hash (checkbox) -- 2.3 Megs

In this case, I would just unselect the MD5Hash box and the overall download would be GREATLY reduced!

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2005, 12:35:36 am »

Connected successfully for me.
Took ~5 minutes to load.
Loaded the library just fine.
82,761 files, 384.9 GB.
Played The Ataris - Boys Of Summer

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2005, 12:38:43 am »

Perfect!

In order to accomplish what I did, I had to create a Clone library, edit out all the files i didnt want shared, remove all non-pertinent Views and Playlists, and then remove all unnecessary fields manually from the .zipped library file, and change the .zip file to Read-Only.

Load my original library back in ... and it will now serve the Read-Only .zip Library consistently :)

A lot of trouble, but it was worth it for now!
I'll leave it open for now, but Im going to eat up all the bandwidth for the night, sorry.

Branxx

• Recent member
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2005, 12:41:07 am »

I've managed to connect as well. Loaded in about the same time as zxsix.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up