INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Former MC10 purchaser needs installation help for new computer  (Read 1700 times)

Piranhahaha

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...

Hi, I had posted these questions in the “Portable Digital Players (iPod, Nomad, etc)” thread last week -- my major concern is iTunes.

Nobody’s responded, and I need help. 

I purchased MC 10 last summer, switched computers, but didn’t need to reinstall MC10 until now -- I used it solely to help transfer LP & cassette recordings via .wav files into my iTunes library. 

I’d like to re-install MC on my new computer.  I still have my “install key” code, so I assume I can download a new copy:  is this correct?

If so, I have a couple of isolated but important questions:

I see that there’s a MC11 now available.  Is now the time to do it or wait for the official release? 

If I should go with MC11, what do I do -- download MC10 then immediately upgrade?

I have a huge iTunes database and want to continue having iTunes organize and play all of my music.  It seems like everybody here is using MC to control their iPods, but I want to do the opposite -- use MC to import LP & cassette recordings into .wav’s and then put them into iTunes on AAC, with iTunes remaining the program that syncs & organizes the database. 

How do I make sure that when I install MC it doesn’t disrupt iTunes? (This is crucial!)

Thanks for your help. 

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe

Download and install MC 10 from the link near the top of the forum.

Restore your license using your saved license code. A key will be generated that is good for 14 days, save it somewhere outside of MC10 (My Documents) after the automatic restore is finished.

Be sure you use I.E. and also the same email address you used when purchasing MC. If your email has changed you will have to post again to have J Riverchange your email. DO NOT publish yourMC registration code.

Once you have MC10 reinstalled and registered, you can purchase the upgrade anytime and get the upgrade price (10$US at the moment). MC 10 & 11 can co-exist on the same computer, just put MC11 in a different directory, (ie: Program Files\J River MC 11\Media Center 11).

I would recomend using MC10 at first and do all your tagging and other changes there. Then do a library backup, close MC 10, open MC 11 and do a library restore from the MC 10 backup file. MC 11 has a different database structure and  is not backwards compatable, (you can't use data from MC 11 in MC 10). So, untill you're comfortable with MC 11, I would recomend you proceed as described. Just my humble opinion.

I'm afraid I can't help you with you iTunes other than to suggest you check the portables section of the forum (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=8.0), there's been alot of iTunes disscusions there.

Good Luck and welcome back!

Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Piranhahaha

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Former MC10 purchaser needs installation help for new computer
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 06:46:22 pm »

Wow!  That's exactly the information I needed!

Many, many thanks!

(And yes I can't wait to start playing with MC again.)

Piranhahaha

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 10:16:57 pm »

I downloaded MC10 and everything seems to be fine, but I got this message in my email:

"Your web purchase should have activated Media Center on your PC automatically.
If you have another PC, you can use the attached Install Key for the
next 14 days. Just save the Install Key on a floppy disk or other media,
then execute it on the second PC where you have Media Center installed."

What does this mean?  I have to type in the install key numbers every 14 days? 

Or is there a way to permanently install MC10?

Remember I no longer have my old original PC, and am installing MC10 on a new computer. 

modelmaker

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 11:37:12 pm »

There are actually 2 codes. One is the license [Registration Code] you got when first purchased MC. The 2nd is the key code [Install Key], which "unlocks" MC, in effect changing MC from the temporary trial version (good for 30 days) to the "registered" permanent version.

To check to see if your MC is "registered" goto: Help>Registration Info. If there is a long number there then everything is active, if not, it will say not registered and you have not completed the restore process.

The "key" [Install Key] is good for only 14 days for security reasons. Once you have restored the registration license with the key, the installation is permanent until you change computers or your hard drive dies etc. Only then  would you have to go through the restore process again.

You should save (copy/paste) the key you got in your email to a folder in My Documents. MC can be installed on multiple computers that you own. Should you have another computer you want to install MC in, then you can you use that saved key [Install Key] to activate the license in the additional computer(s) over the next 14 days. After 14 days, you have to have a new key generated [by using your Registration Code on the Restore Page] if you wish to install MC in any other computers.

I hope this helped explain things. If not, I'll be around for a few hours more tonight.

[Bracketed comments above were added by JimH for clarity.]
Jay.

Piranhahaha

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 10:23:08 am »

OK, thanks.

There's a 30-digit number of five each separated by dashes.

Is that the long sequence that means it's now permanently on my computer?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 10:27:40 am »

Please see this page for license information:

www.jrmediacenter.com/purchase.html

modelmaker

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 11:52:45 am »

Yes.
Jay.

Pages: [1]   Go Up